IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question
3/22/18, 11:36 AM   #1
Lightning Sprint Question
cws9

Since the chain drive is the weakest link in these cars, pun intended, what does everyone do as far as maintenance in the off season to make them last? I'm not wanting to replace the chain as long as it is still good. But I sure don't want a failure either. That gets real expensive in a hurry when they snap.
Thanks for your reply.

3/22/18, 1:31 PM   #2
Griffittsmotorsports

I’ve always found it to be safer then sorry and just replace it every year. It my look like it’s in good shape but if you have a full season on it chances are it has been stretched and probably won’t make another full season anyway 😉

1 member likes this post: cws9
3/22/18, 2:07 PM   #3
Re: Lightning Sprint Question
Backitin

If you start out with a new chain place it down on a piece of cardboard or your work bench. The side plates should be on the sides and the link opening up (same as on you car) take about a 2 ft section secure the ends with a clamp or screws deflect chain up, make a mark do the same down make a mark. Now you have a benchmark of a new chain compared to one that is worn. I have found that side deflection is the best way to measure (see) chain wear.
Also if running a non o ring chain after every race the chain should be washed and flushed with kerosene and then we lube them in a tray of melted grease. After the kerosene bath and before the lube job you can easily feel a worn out chain after some experience. After many years of watching chain issues we knock wood have zero/none.
The main way to make a chain last is clean and lube PLUS a good setup that doesn't stress your chain or components. Lubing a chain that is not completely clean is asking for increased wear. Also a chain should never be run too tight, bad on cranks, seals and sprockets.

3/22/18, 4:49 PM   #4
Bill84

Race Count This Year: 17
Race Count Last Year: 13

All valid points, especially about the clean chain. Also, when you replace your chain, replace all your sprockets too. They have worn with the chain, and putting a new chain on old sprockets will prematurely stretch it. Now about chain tension. I used to worry about having my chain too tight. I like it snug, but not binding tight. But, after watching what happens to a chain under tension, I'm not all too sure being too tight really matters all that much...

Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xYv...ature=youtu.be

3/23/18, 9:49 AM   #5
Backitin

I'd be way more broke then I am now if I replaced my sprockets after every chain. Cheap sprockets will wear out and hook quickly, with high quality sprockets they can last a couple few chains. Your right though that worn sprockets are bad for chains and visa versa. On a speedwaybike a chain might only last a few race nights but the sprockets are still fine after quite awhile. I'd prefer to have my chain slightly loose as compared to tight, tightness causes friction which causes heat a chains main enemy besides dirt and side loads.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lightning Sprint Question