IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
2fast4u (Offline)
  #1 5/7/12 9:23 AM
I am getting ready to build an automotive repair shop and its only going to be 40x56. My question is about installing the pipes in the flooring and using a natural gas boiler to heat them. I have been told it's a little more than double the price of the over head tube gas heaters. Does anybody out there use this and do they like it? I wonder how long it would take to make up the price difference of the two? Will it be able to keep up with opening the doors all the time? Thanks in advance!
spicoli (Offline)
  #2 5/7/12 9:47 AM
Residential and light commercial boilers are all I do, and that includes radiant floors.

Installation cost is higher, operation cost is much lower. Comfort is the best. Once you have it in your garage, you will never be happy with forced air heating again.

You MUST put 2" of insulation under the floor and around the edges.

I live in Chicago, but I also do work in Northern Indiana, SW Michigan and SE Wisconsin.

Radiant floors, when properly designed will keep the space comfortable even though you may open and close the garage doors often.

Send me a PM and we can go from there.

Mike Jonas
19J
6 Likes: 2fast4u, babcock14d, fish, interpreter66, Jimmydiesel, scott bradley1x
Bad Dad 54 (Offline)
  #3 5/7/12 9:02 PM
Yeah pipes in the floor, feet stay warm, & you won't get cold lying on it. Use a small block chevy to heat the water. W/ open headers only outside things get boring or slow go out & rap the throttle couple times LOL
2fast4u (Offline)
  #4 5/7/12 10:21 PM
Thanks alot Mike! Thats what i love about indiana open wheel. There is a wealth of knowledge on here and everybody shares what they know. Ask for help and the racing family is there.
bandres21 (Offline)
  #5 5/7/12 11:45 PM
our building is a similar size and we are heating it with a 30 gallon hot water heater,never a problem keeping it warm.
wallbanger II (Offline)
  #6 5/8/12 3:02 PM
Worked at a body shop years back with heat just as you decribe. Plenty warm , dryed a wet car quickly,no air movement from heater to put dirt in your paint.
Only drawback athlete foot up to your knees.
babcock14d (Offline)
  #7 5/8/12 4:57 PM
We have it in our race shop and use a hot water heater and love it we have a 30 by 30 building its like getting a foot massage working in there!
PIT CART (Offline)
  #8 5/8/12 6:23 PM
When done RIGHT you will be happy with it. If you are doing any mig or tig welding it is a big plus. I always hated welding then having to stop when the forced air heat tripped on. JMO

Posted via Mobile Device