IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fort Wayne Speedway Inquiry
7/10/22, 10:16 PM   #1
Fort Wayne Speedway Inquiry
ethanjdahlen

Hi, this is Ethan Dahlen from Wane 15 News in Fort Wayne Indiana.

I am piecing together a story on the history of the old Fort Wayne Speedway. I've gathered some information and pictures, but I'm really looking for people who would talk to me about it on camera, or over the phone. If you know the history, have a personal experience, a picture/video, or a story to share otherwise about the Speedway I would love to talk!

You can shoot me an email at ethan.dahlen@wane.com to get in touch!

I really think this is a great piece of history that is slowly fading, so even if you have something small to say please let me know! It's a big puzzle, and you need all the pieces to see it complete.

7/11/22, 3:34 AM   #2
Re: Fort Wayne Speedway Inquiry
DaleDuBois

1928 - FORT WAYNE SPEEDWAY
Fort Wayne speedway was built in 1928 by Frank Funk within the local Fairgrounds, Funk also built Winchester Speedway and Dayton Speedway as well as others, The Fort Wayne track was described as high banked, fast and treacherous, The track was 5/8th of a mile in length.
In 1946 two further tracks were added inside the 5/8th mile oval, these tracks were concidered by some as the fastest dirt oval tracks around, The 1/2 mile track utilized both straights but had shorter corners, while the 1/4 mile Midget track utilized part of the front sraight only.
The track surface was not kind to the drivers with many dips and hollows across its width and length, The outer safety rails were very low and cars would often launch out of the arena.
The Fairgrounds closed in 1964 and the land was sold off to become Industrial land.

7/12/22, 6:04 PM   #3
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanjdahlen View Post

I am piecing together a story on the history of the old Fort Wayne Speedway. I've gathered some information and pictures, but I'm really looking for people who would talk to me about it on camera, or over the phone. If you know the history, have a personal experience, a picture/video, or a story to share otherwise about the Speedway I would love to talk!

I really think this is a great piece of history that is slowly fading, so even if you have something small to say please let me know! It's a big puzzle, and you need all the pieces to see it complete.
Thank you for taking an interest and doing this

2 members like this post: interpreter66, PIT CART
7/18/22, 11:25 AM   #4
PIT CART

Any idea when this will air?

7/18/22, 2:30 PM   #5
DaleDuBois

In 1963 when I was in the National Guards, we camped near the Fort Wayne track on our way to Michigan for summer camp. This was on a Saturday night and a bunch of us Guardsmen went and watched the races. I don't remember what they were running but in years after that the track was closed.

4 members like this post: erich45, Ilovedirttrackracing, jdull99, PIT CART
7/19/22, 5:10 PM   #6
Josh Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanjdahlen View Post

Hey call me, Josh Spencer

765-438-6293

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Fort Wayne Speedway Inquiry