IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Different winners in USAC
6/17/18, 10:50 PM   #31
flagboy55

And not to disagree with Chuck, but "epic failure" is more like making silver crown cars that are designed to run on mile and a half tracks, I'd say the jury is still out on banning cockpit adjustable shocks

6/18/18, 3:54 AM   #32
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
And not to disagree with Chuck, but "epic failure" is more like making silver crown cars that are designed to run on mile and a half tracks, I'd say the jury is still out on banning cockpit adjustable shocks
My thoughts. I feel if you go through the B main you should start behind ALL the heat race transfers. And not to beat a dead horse on the adjustable shocks, while I agree it may not be an "epic fail", it is an empty gesture. Supposed to even the playing field and cut costs, but every local guy around has already got adjusters. That expense was already expended long ago. Also, it puts more emphasis on who the better crew chiefs are. Whether they're driver/crew chiefs or hired guns a smart crew chief will help you more than ever right now. So banning the adjusters was just an unecessary move, in my opinion only.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, superstock30, TQ29m
6/18/18, 5:59 AM   #33
Re: Different winners in USAC
BrentTFunk

I am ok with getting rid of cockpit adjustable shocks. When everyone gets good at turning knobs, there would be less passing.

5 members like this post: billw, captrat, jim goerge, opnwhlmnd, oppweld
6/18/18, 7:57 AM   #34
HDINDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by david mitchell View Post
Thomas Jr.,Windom,Bacon,and Courtney.Does anyone else win in USAC sprint cars.🤣It seems if you don’t qualify in top six forget about it.If these guys are in top six forget about it.It is becoming rather predictable.Maybe time for a format change.Opinions on alternatives and getting your time back if you transfer through semi.Never understood that one.
Kinda like the Larry, Garry,Bigelow,Vogler day's. Car owners money drivers talent,still the same game.

2 members like this post: captrat, fish
6/18/18, 12:07 PM   #35
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I surely remember USAC being dominated by a couple drivers and only like five following the whole tour. Compared to that, today is awesome with several drivers who could win on any given night

6/18/18, 12:25 PM   #36
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I am ok with getting rid of cockpit adjustable shocks. When everyone gets good at turning knobs, there would be less passing.
Maybe true, but everyone still runs them at local shows so I just think it's an irrelevant rule. And I've seen plenty of good local shows. And USACs other divisions still run them. Hasn't seemed to hurt their on track product. Just my opinion, nothing more.

6/18/18, 2:42 PM   #37
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kydehart View Post
My thoughts. I feel if you go through the B main you should start behind ALL the heat race transfers.
I have mixed feelings about this. Sometimes the track just stays way too narrow in the heat, and you really get punished for qualifying well. I don't know if they do it today, but back in 2011, the King of the West gave the top 2 in the B their times back, plus an extra $50 for winning the B. I like that because it kept you from riding around in your transfer spot, but you weren't totally hosed if you qualified well but missed transferring in the heat.

1 member likes this post: wright59
6/18/18, 2:59 PM   #38
spankytoo

Race Count This Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
USAC's sprint car car counts are down this year. Local tracks and BOSS seem to be doing just fine.

MSCS = -5 cars on average over this time last year
USAC = -5 cars on average over this time last year

I see a trend! See you at the races!

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
6/18/18, 7:17 PM   #39
JarrettFarms73

Going back to the OT, my quick search through twitter indicates USAC National Sprint cars have had 8 different winners in 15 events ran so far. KTJ, Windom, Bacon Courtney, Stockon, Darland, (listed S. Cottle in error), and now Ballou.

OP is correct in that the 4 mentioned have an abundance of podiums; however, there’s still been 11 different drivers finish top 3 and that doesn’t include Grant or Coons jr (yet...)

Might not last but so far a new winner average of every two shows and a new podium finisher almost each race seems pretty diverse to me... and who on here would be surprised if Grant, Leary, Boespflug, TMez, or Coons, got a win to keep that average going? Not me.
Last edited by JarrettFarms73; 6/20/18 at 1:46 PM.

5 members like this post: captrat, Charles Nungester, fish, interpreter66, jim goerge
6/18/18, 8:52 PM   #40
rclaridge

Are the 4 drivers mentioned being allowed to race under different rules? If not then everyone else needs to figure out a way to get faster!!

3 members like this post: fish, scottyCbus, sp6967
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Different winners in USAC