IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > race length?
5/18/17, 1:14 AM   #1
race length?
flagboy55

Without a lot of research, just sitting back thinking about things, I could swear back in the day most USAC sprint race's were 40 laps. Watching the WOO race's, it seems like they adjust race length depending on track size, which makes good sense to me. I wonder why USAC doesn't do the same? Seems like a race on a quarter ought to be at least 40 laps. What do you think?

5/18/17, 7:30 AM   #2
Re: race length?
Backitin

I'd imagine the folks to ask would be he ones paying for and or driving the cars.
I'm good with 30 lap races no matter track size, Sprint is included right in the cars name.

3 members like this post: dirt330, jim goerge, Task Force
5/18/17, 7:57 AM   #3
B99

Most for a long time from 56 to the late 60's early 70's were 25 or 30 laps. The 10 extra were added I believe around 1970 or so. Races went back to the 30 lap distance in the early 80's.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, fish, jim goerge
5/18/17, 10:06 AM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

You know what they say about opinions........

Yet I have one, Im fine with the 30 lappers. However I'd love to see it mixed up once in awhile, Maybe a 40 here and there. And some purses that are different now and then. I know Burg and Tri State have a couple 10k's, Kokomo has the Smack Down. But I'd love to see the Sprint Week purses raised at least to the PA Tour purses, Maybe up the tow money so some more teams are willing to travel here and not be totally busted by a missed A main.

I do however will never understand the 8 lap heats. If it isn't Terre Haute big, They need to be 10

The poster is right, I think WoO judges by track size. It kinda shocked me to learn that Knoxville reg show is 20 lap features now (Due to fuel) Used to be every WoO and All Star show's were 40 with some 50 lappers at times.

I only mention things because I care. I think switching things up now and then are the key's to keeping fans interested and interesting. I know Racers want as much predictable as possible but complacency is detrimental

I'd love to see a show that would be say. Two 25 lap heats, Top ten in each transfer lined up in finishing position (Odd/Even) for a 50 lap feature. Take 4 from a consi.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 5/18/17 at 10:12 AM.

5/18/17, 10:17 AM   #5
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I'm pretty happy with 25 laps. What I don't care for is 30 to 40 lap feature with the top 10 fastest cars starting up front. That's one of the biggest reasons I don't go to Winged races that have time trials.

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Eatin Dirt, jim goerge, oppweld
5/18/17, 1:14 PM   #6
duel

When I started going to usac races in the 70's most all features were 40 laps and they ran mostly half miles. Top 28 qualifiers made the show and the heats were 10 laps. Twin 50's at Eldora in October and next weekend twin 50's at Winchester to close out the season. I would like to see 40 laps on the qtr's. The smackdown final is 40.

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, flagboy55, oppweld, stealth43k, tamati
5/18/17, 1:36 PM   #7
flagboy55

Duel, you are right. I was just looking through a sprint car pictorial from 75 and most race's were 40, and like Charles said, plenty of variants, and like you mentioned, twin 50s and so forth. I started this thread not as a complaint, just as something to think about. I remember twin 33s at the indy mile, one where Pancho got in Lee Osborne's car, started on the back and won if I'm not mistaken. I know these days people keep up more with laps on a motor and expenses per race, but I think Chuck is right, some more variety might help things

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, duel
5/18/17, 3:10 PM   #8
duel

Triple 33's at Winchester one year or 2. Two 33 lap qualifiers and a 34 lap main. They promoted it as triple 33's. seemed like they had around 40 cars. lots of great pavement shows. I still can't believe they ran 500 lap races at Eldora. That must have been wild.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
5/18/17, 11:07 PM   #9
openwheelfan1

In the 60's, most USAC sprint features were 30 laps, with the occasional 50 lap and even 100 lap feature. USAC did not run events on tracks smaller than 1/2 mile during this time. In about 1970, the features became 40 laps again with the occasional 50 lap event or even duel 50 lap events as opposed to 100 laps. During the 1970's, USAC continued to limit events to track sizes of 1/2 mile or larger. In the 1960's and 1970's, USAC engines were limited to 305 c.i. for pushrod engines (SB Chevy) and 255 c. i. for OHC engines (4 cam Ford and Offy). In the early 80's, as pavement went away, USAC started running on tracks smaller than 1/2 m, and they increased the engine size to 377 c. i. Later in the 80's features were reduced back to 30 laps. In the early 90's, USAC increased the engine size to its current 410 c. i.

As I recall, the features were reduced in length due to 377 c. i. engines consuming more fuel making it difficult for cars to finish 40 lap races on the big 1/2 miles like Terre Haute. Also, about the same time USAC became less restrictive and many local racers and winged racers would attend races (remember, USAC ran some winged races in the middle 80's) and these cars had smaller tail tanks.

1 member likes this post: FishBurger
5/18/17, 11:11 PM   #10
Vintageracer

30 laps is a good number for sprint cars

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, racenut69, Task Force
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > race length?