IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stage Racing in Silver Crown
6/15/19, 8:47 PM   #11
flagboy55

Bruce has it right. I wonder if Kevin was pulling our chain? My friend Kyle engaged him in the topic on Twitter and it was an interesting debate. I would like to know if it was serious or just banter because Kevin had some different perspective for sure. I respect the heck out of Kevin Swindell. I follow him on Twitter but I don’t think anyone would change his mind on anything. As an observer of some of his opinions it seems to me that his nickname bulldog is well earned. Very opinionated. That being said, stage racing has no business in racing. That’s my opinion and you won’t change my mind on that

6/15/19, 8:54 PM   #12
addictedtodirt

Tried that for a year or two with the Hoosier Hundred. Race was halted on lap 50. If you took a tire, you went to the tail. It failed to add any drama. Leave it like it is.

6/16/19, 8:45 AM   #13
Re: Stage Racing in Silver Crown
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtodirt View Post
Tried that for a year or two with the Hoosier Hundred. Race was halted on lap 50. If you took a tire, you went to the tail. It failed to add any drama. Leave it like it is.
Thats the last Silver Crown race I went to,the Hoosier Hundred that was split into 50 lappers. At the time they (USAC) was trying to regroup after running the ugly "Gold Crown" cars,and at the same time running Ethanol and everybody was having motor problems etc from memory. The race was bad enough I stopped going to them. I've always maintained that when racing promoters,,race tracks,sanctioning bodies etc. drive you away from attending,its hard to get you to come back to watch.

6/16/19, 9:51 AM   #14
Hammer

Yeah that was a bad move and didn't work out, silver crown pavement racing was doing good and had decent car counts and those gold crown cars took it down. Silver crown dirt is doing well and is getting good car counts and putting on exciting races. The miles are my favorite but Eldora and Terre Haute are also exciting tracks for the big cars.

2 members like this post: EBookerFan, treecitytornado
6/16/19, 10:35 AM   #15
EBookerFan

As I recall, USAC tried the half way red flag for adjustments and sent the racers on their way. As Hammer pointed out, the 100 mile factors are what makes this racing so exciting. The race can be over in an hour without many yellowsand no red flags. What a wonderful way to spend an evening or afternoon.

6/16/19, 10:45 AM   #16
DAD

I Wonder What is the purpose for clutches and transmissions are for on them Big Old Things????

6/16/19, 11:26 AM   #17
2140rc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
I Wonder What is the purpose for clutches and transmissions are for on them Big Old Things????
Because today's Silver Crown cars have lineage going back to the Championship cars that raced in the Indianapolis 500 from the start. The rules always called for transmissions and starters (whether on board or external to save weight) and required pit stops. Many of the same cars that ran in the Indy 500 also ran on the mile dirt tracks. Push starts were specifically not allowed. Lower classes of racing allowed pull or push starts and only ran for very short distances. For decades up through the 1950s Championship cars were even required to have a reverse gear with the idea being that a driver could use reverse to back up and get out of the way after a spin if needed.

Today you probably could do away with transmissions and push start the cars but all you would have would be oversized and under powered sprint cars.

2 members like this post: addictedtodirt, chrismattlin
6/16/19, 2:33 PM   #18
DAD

Bet they would come in handy if they had pit stops too, seems like I remember them in the distant past and they usually looked kind of like a "Cluster &^*k" best I can remember.

6/16/19, 4:13 PM   #19
Jonr

Silver Crown cars are a niche of a niche sport. There is a group of people that still love them, but that group is dwindling year over year. You can take a causal fan to a USAC midget, USAC sprint or WoO sprint car race and the action is going to draw them into the sport. You take a casual fan to a Silver Crown race and try to explain the nuances of the race, tire wear, gas milage, etc, and you are going to lose most people.

6/16/19, 8:27 PM   #20
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
That being said, stage racing has no business in racing. That’s my opinion and you won’t change my mind on that
I second the motion.

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, Pat O'Connor Fan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Stage Racing in Silver Crown