IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Does chassis age matter?
10/30/14, 5:38 PM   #1
Does chassis age matter?
wingtrail

I am new to dirt racing and just bought a used sprint car. The chassis is an 04' but comes with paperwork and is straight off the table/checked. Most of the bolt ons are pretty new, maybe 8-10 races old. If the car is dead straight, and the bolt on pieces are in new/good shape, does the year or the chassis really matter? I've gotten a few conflicting opinions, I just thought I'd ask here and see the consensus.

10/30/14, 5:42 PM   #2
Leohr46

The big difference is the older cars are heavier. But they will also not bend as easily in a crash.
I have been running a 98 or 99 Doemelt.
It's old. It's heavy. It works for me.

10/30/14, 5:53 PM   #3
therocket50

I say as long as the chassis is straight and the spuds arent wore out its not much of an issue unless you think so in your head. If on a budget id spend the extra money on suspension,brakes,motor, rotating weight, and most of all good safety gear. I have yet to ever hear a good argument why the year of the chassis matters

2 members like this post: bn kleen, bobO
10/30/14, 5:54 PM   #4
badcoupe

Over time the materials can stress etc but I don't think it really bothers things perhaps under the right conditions may be a benefit. As was mentioned earlier they can be a bit heavier. My brother used to drive a tq midget for a guy that was built new in 74 and still won with it.

10/30/14, 7:57 PM   #5
Re: Does chassis age matter?
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
Over time the materials can stress etc but I don't think it really bothers things perhaps under the right conditions may be a benefit. As was mentioned earlier they can be a bit heavier. My brother used to drive a tq midget for a guy that was built new in 74 and still won with it.
Back several years ago, it was bandied about, that the "memory" life of chrome moly was considered 7 yrs, but having built several, and repaired several, I kinda take exception to that thought, I'm sure that one that has been "rode hard, and put away wet", will not probably be as good as one that has had good maintenance, and a somewhat not so aggressive life. Bob

10/30/14, 8:18 PM   #6
ossuks

j
Last edited by ossuks; 10/30/14 at 8:20 PM.

10/30/14, 8:18 PM   #7
ossuks

I like mine between 18 and 40.... but, have seen a few as old as mid 50's...But, just as tq29 stated, how hard they been used is important:

4 members like this post: bn kleen, interpreter66, mc/rider, racenut69
10/30/14, 8:21 PM   #8
PatrickMead#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
I like mine between 18 and 40.... but, have seen a few as old as mid 50's...But, just as tq29 stated, how hard they been used is important:
Are still talking about chassis' or women...?

It's not much the age as more importantly the kind of mileage it's been through.
Last edited by PatrickMead#13; 10/30/14 at 8:23 PM.

10/30/14, 8:32 PM   #9
suzuki756

Why you can have two cars off the same table be so different. If the builder say starts welding on one corner working around the car and the next time starts welding another way the metal is pulled different . Its not the same that's why a lot of drivers like there favored car and will have it fixed and fixed to keep it. Molly does not care if its new or 15 years old if its a good car run it if you can adjust it keep it metal memory is crap . If its bent fix it . If the car works good you keep it

1 member likes this post: red70racer
10/30/14, 9:01 PM   #10
DAD

Jim Berry would be the guy to answer this question.

How old was that SPRINT Car that Tony Stewart drove for Glen Niebel the year he won the Triple Crown in USAC? Best I can remember it was almost as old as the driver.

Honest Dad himself

4 members like this post: bobO, hairracer44, jjracer636, Racer_dude35
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Does chassis age matter?