IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 305 Racesaver News Coming SOON!
10/27/14, 12:06 PM   #31
Re: 305 Racesaver News Coming SOON!
Morin Racing 98

Race Count Last Year: 27

People you can try to paint the picture any color you want....the racers are paying for the new timing and scoring system..plain and simple...and I don't remember a night where we planned our fuel consumption based upon the amount of laps it took to line up the field during a yellow...that is really stretching it (this ain't NASCAR). Usually when there is a yellow most of the field is lined up by the time the push truck or wrecker does it's job.

10/27/14, 1:24 PM   #32
captrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKinser99 View Post
Much complaining on this message board over the years about the wing racing thing. Majority of the county runs wing and have better purse. As far as the transponders go. A right rear hoosier Rd12 runs about 220 and I see no discussion or boycotts of hoosier for having such high tire cost. At first I had the same opinion about this transponder deal but in the long run I think it will be a good deal as long as tracks universally use them. That way a person did not have to buy one for a specific track.
Not so sure about the much complaining, but IMHO it is really about the style of racing one prefers. If one is looking for all out speed and pretty much driving straight through a corner then wing racing is your deal. I am old enough to remember the WoO without wings, compared to today's WoO where the aero and tire advances have increased speed, but not necessarily improved competition. My real concern is the perception that non-wing racing is a lesser product which translates to smaller purses, less general coverage, etc. I would respectfully remind that the decline of Indy Cars began when competition took a back seat to pure speed along with a rejection of traditional American oval track racing. All of this created a void into which NASCAR drove right into. Lastly, the movement to wings is directly related to the WoO reaction to the Knoxville tragedies and the power of the multiple winged tracks in PA. The travelers of WoO needed the perceived perception (not always deserved) that Knoxville had and the support of an already well-established car support group in PA. There is room for both, but it is dangerous to value one over the other when perception is based upon PR, sponsorship money, etc., rather than actual performance.

2 members like this post: 2fast4u, nathans1012
10/27/14, 6:54 PM   #33
HurstBros0

I was going to build me one of these. Running wings was always fun and these under powered rigs would have been just like when I started. Had me a set of heads located and a new rotating assembly priced. As a never was ,Bloomington never really was a friend of mine. It`s a wide open joint and 20 laps on the floor is quite a rush ... After reading the wisdom of both sides of this issue by those who will participate, those who sit in the stands, and those who will not even show up, I`ve concluded that participating would not be a cost effective decision for me. I am one of the guys who works a regular job and his racing funds are from what the bills of a normal life doesn`t consume.I hate that these types of racers are fading away because of tough luck ,rising costs, bad decisions or the realization that the stress of the monetary woes outweigh the fun.Those guys who have had
to outrun money with innovative means built this sport with their perseverance. I hope all who do participate build the new class into something you can be proud of.
Last edited by HurstBros0; 10/28/14 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Realized my opinion is irrelevant

1 member likes this post: PatrickMead#13
10/27/14, 7:49 PM   #34
jjracer636

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurstBros0 View Post
So we don`t need the radios any more ? That is why we had to buy them wasn`t it? To speed up cautions...

I do believe the radios are more for safety than anything else. Sure they help with line ups so you don't have a flagman pointing you were to go. I know the radio's have sure helped me to avoid a few incidents. I mean its hard to miss someone shouting in your ear exactly where the caution is on the track so you can safely slow your car. Also I've heard it on the raceceiver quite a few times before the flagman ever had a chance to flip the switch for the yellow. Besides I've seen them used all over the place for right around 100 to a hundred and fifty. I like the post earlier about the cost of a new RR in comparison. Puts things into perspective a little bit.

1 member likes this post: fish
10/27/14, 9:12 PM   #35
bobbyg45

Ok so for the support class its looks like this.if there just starting out racing

Transponder 250.00
Ump membership 100.00
race receiver 100.00
Total 450.00

Wow thats cheap lol

Not counting whatever else gets tossed in before season starts

Way to go nice job ...
Last edited by bobbyg45; 10/27/14 at 9:15 PM.

10/28/14, 1:47 PM   #36
Rpracing1

So when has racing ever been afordable?

2 members like this post: DGMJR71, jjracer636
10/28/14, 2:08 PM   #37
kart31rac

Before we got into sprint cars and yes we run a 305 at 34 raceway but not a racesaver LoL, We raced karts all over, and we always used a transponder I have often wondered why most of the local tracks have not used them. Well if we start using them at our local track we already got one. I think it is a great idea, but before we had one we had to rent one from the track. I feel if they want you to use one they should give it to you. Or if you got one use your own. It does speed up the program. I also feel the payout is pretty good for a 305. Good Luck to everyone who runs one this year.

10/28/14, 2:10 PM   #38
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
So when has racing ever been afordable?
The modified team I was part of in the late 50s grossed enough money to pay the driver 40% and make the payments on the owner's street car. The midget team I worked for in the early 70s bought a brand new Edmunds chassis and a brand new SESCO engine for almost the same amount I paid for a new Ford station wagon at the same time. Both of those cars won races and finished high in the standings. Most of the cars we raced against were owned by middle class folks who worked for a living. Many were auto or truck mechanics; some owned shops, but many were employees.

I post this answer to this question every few months. I think I'll save it.

10/28/14, 4:45 PM   #39
mlamb

I've got an idea Bloomington Speedway…how bout offering these transponders free of charge to those whom finished in the top 10 in points? Would'nt it make sense to help the guys whom support you on a weekly basis?

10/28/14, 4:52 PM   #40
Panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg45 View Post
Ok so for the support class its looks like this.if there just starting out racing

Transponder 250.00
Ump membership 100.00
race receiver 100.00
Total 450.00

Wow thats cheap lol

Not counting whatever else gets tossed in before season starts

Way to go nice job ...
Transponder rent $20.00 (or $250.00 to purchase)
UMP Membership $0.00 (Racesaver Sprints are not UMP, that is only in the stock car classes and the amounts are different, but in those classes you get insurance for your UMP fee.)
Raceiver rent $10.00 (or $100.00 to purchase)

Total $30.00 rent (or $350.00 to purchase)

It really just boils down to is the glass half full or is the glass half empty.

I don't have a dog in the fight so I can honestly see it both ways.

But you left out most all tracks also require a firesuit, helmet, gloves, and a neck restraint systems of some type, and you can't rent those, so add in another $2000.00 on top of your numbers above.

1 member likes this post: jjracer636
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 305 Racesaver News Coming SOON!