IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 305 Racesaver News Coming SOON!
10/28/14, 5:39 PM   #41
Re: 305 Racesaver News Coming SOON!
SWScaleChassis

If another 250 bucks pushes your race operation to 'the last dollar'.... Is it really a smart idea to have a race operation in the first place?

"Know how to make a million dollars in racing??? Start with 2 million"

10/28/14, 9:23 PM   #42
treecitytornado

The only guys buying the transponders would be the ones running weekly. I'm with Brandon on this one! The tracks can take your license and hold your pay until you turn it in, but don't charge for them! Honestly it is surprising that Eldora still charges $10 plus takes your license too.

10/28/14, 11:30 PM   #43
hoscalecody

To be honest the $10 or $20 ain't that much money for transponder rent i've raced at Waynesfield for 2 years and paid $10 a night its not that much money plus the license part is so you don't steal the transponder. If you guys are having so much problems with paying and giving your license then pay the money to buy your own transponder and if it breaks you have to buy a new one. Plus if you don't have the $10-$20 to be renting for transponders should you be in racing its just another racing fee like a helmet or a suit. I was also told that they can be hard to break but can and will break.

5 members like this post: fish, kcarm92, nathans1012, Panama, SWScaleChassis
10/29/14, 5:03 PM   #44
darnall

I've gotta say there's a recurring point on this thread that aggravates me...the talk about "Mods cost more so they should have a bigger purse"

When these style of modifieds started they were intended to be dirt cheap. $350 claimer engines, no beadlocks, leaf spring suspensions, rock hard tire, etc etc etc. It didn't take very long for the RACERS, not the promoters, to start asking for rule changes... "We can't build a good motor that cheap, drop the claim rule...we can't hook up these awesome motors we have now without crazy rear suspension and beadlock wheels"..etc etc... at the request of THE RACERS, the mods morphed into skinny tired fenderless late models... I doubt there were any promoters who were telling the racers "I'm going to drop this class unless you figure out a way to spend 50 grand on building one of these things"....so somebody explain to me why it should be up to the promoter to pay a purse based on how much the car costs when the racers for the most part begged and begged to eliminate any rules that potentially could have kept the cost in check.

10/29/14, 5:29 PM   #45
cmiracingvids

I just looked up the purse for the MSA 360 sprint cars up in Wisconsin at Plymouth Dirt Track in Plymouth.
Their payout is 700 to win and 150 to start and 125 for non transfers. 125!!! And I know for a fact a race ready 360 up there is around $7,000. Just sharing some fun facts on how other places do things.

10/29/14, 5:57 PM   #46
The Fanthom

Race Count This Year: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnall View Post
I've gotta say there's a recurring point on this thread that aggravates me...the talk about "Mods cost more so they should have a bigger purse"

When these style of modifieds started they were intended to be dirt cheap. $350 claimer engines, no beadlocks, leaf spring suspensions, rock hard tire, etc etc etc. It didn't take very long for the RACERS, not the promoters, to start asking for rule changes... "We can't build a good motor that cheap, drop the claim rule...we can't hook up these awesome motors we have now without crazy rear suspension and beadlock wheels"..etc etc... at the request of THE RACERS, the mods morphed into skinny tired fenderless late models... I doubt there were any promoters who were telling the racers "I'm going to drop this class unless you figure out a way to spend 50 grand on building one of these things"....so somebody explain to me why it should be up to the promoter to pay a purse based on how much the car costs when the racers for the most part begged and begged to eliminate any rules that potentially could have kept the cost in check.
Brilliant post. You just summed up the problem with nearly all forms of racing, not just modifieds. When racers are allowed to set the rules for themselves or promotors do not enforce the rules out of fear of losing a couple of cars, then the "arms race" which follows drive the costs far beyond what would be reasonable to spend based on the purse structures. Its a dirty secret that buried in the rules for Modifieds, the claim rule is still there, but NOT ONE DRIVER would dare to use it against another because he would instantly become public enemy number one.

1 member likes this post: tinkertoys
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 305 Racesaver News Coming SOON!