Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kudos to Atomic Speedway
7/13/18, 12:15 PM   #21
Re: Kudos to Atomic Speedway
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
" if a racer thinks a track is unreasonably unsafe. THEY SHOULD NOT RACE THERE"
Thats exactly what WoO is trying to do, as a group. If they left it up to individual drivers, they would all be pressured to race everywhere for fear of losing points or being called a wuss....
The people saying that sprint car racing is intrinsically dangerous & deadly are 100% right.
People who want to end deaths, paralysis & fires are also 100% right.
The only way to make it 100% safe is to stop doing it altogether
But everything in life is about BALANCE! We're just trying to figure out the best point of balance between racing & safety (have our cake & eat it too?)
I don't have enough experience in this stuff to know what specific measures are necessary. But anything that will keep these guys alive & functional is OK with me

7/13/18, 12:17 PM   #22
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spi-nex View Post
Good lord... people can't seem to pick up sarcasm very well and completely missed the point. The point is if you are truly worried about driver safety in all things EVERYTHING must be done to protect them right? It's just common sense right? That's what being said by a select few. If that was a true sentiment then why would the same people want to see racers put themselves in a position to get hurt in the first place? Don't try to play the middle ground when you keep trying to get behind the idea of saving lives and then turn around and want drivers to entertain you. The best way to save lives is to not put them in a position to be lost in the first place.

I've worked on the other side of the fence for tracks and the tracks are tired of being told what to do by everyone who doesn't have a single cent invested in their facility. "Sanction body says do this, group XYZ says that." Get real man. Where is all this magical money going to come from? Who's going to pay for it? You seem to think the only tracks that deserve to run are the ones that fit your standard of safety. By time you add up the cost of everything it takes to be "safe~ish" every track around will cost millions of dollars and the sport isn't strong enough to support that which leaves a smattering of facilities left across the country running.

Tracks are NOT beating down the WoO doors for shows, it's the other way around because they are already too expensive most local venues. WoO is just not in a position to dictate anything when they are struggling to fill out their schedule as is.

I would. I personally don't think safety related things should be mandated. It should be up to each individual to decide what their lives are worth and how far they wish to push the issues. Look up "The Isle of Man" motorcycle race and see how many stars they end up losing every year in just 1 race. You have to respect peoples choice of what to do with their lives even if you don't agree with it. It's the same mentality people have about motorcycle riders on whether they should wear helmets or not... some say it's stupid not to others think the freedom they experience is worth the risk.
The people saying that sprint car racing is intrinsically dangerous & deadly are 100% right.
People who want to end deaths, paralysis & fires are also 100% right.
The only way to make it 100% safe is to stop doing it altogether
But everything in life is about BALANCE! We're just trying to figure out the best point of balance between racing & safety (have our cake & eat it too?)
I don't have enough experience in this stuff to know what specific measures are necessary. But anything that will keep these guys alive & functional is OK with me

7/13/18, 12:44 PM   #23
TQ29m

I've raced everything but airplanes, I guess, not too many of those tracks around, altho I'm older now, it still doesn't make me any wiser, I've had a lot of enjoyment racing, never thought it was any more dangerous than just getting to the track, at least there, 99.9% are going the same direction, haven't just loaded up on drugs or alcohol, so I still felt safer in the car, and on the track, than just getting there and back, nothing is safe, nothing, just don't let it get in your way of doing it as safely as you can. Bob
Last edited by TQ29m; 7/13/18 at 4:39 PM.

3 members like this post: duel, mc/rider, Spi-nex
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kudos to Atomic Speedway