IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Aluminum v6 midget
3/27/18, 7:39 AM   #11
Re: Aluminum v6 midget
Backitin

Claimer rules are great but they never work. You'll lose more entries then you will gain, nobody wants to give up a engine theres more to it then being legal.
No rules are the only rules that work. If you don't have the money you race for fun mid pack, if your lucky enuff to have money or sponsors you run up front. Live with it either way, shut up and race or grap a motorcycle.
The only way to slow down todays cars are a harder tire and a production auto shock. As long as folks are worried about outright speed it will never change.

3/27/18, 4:07 PM   #12
revjimk

Just curious, does anybody know who was running the V-6 at Chili Bowl? Nice guy, had a good chat with him, totally forgot his name... WAY too much going on there!

3/28/18, 9:36 AM   #13
Quantrill

Believe that was A.J. Johnson out of Iowa. That car was originally built by Ray Boyles in KC. Pretty sure the car Merrill Lamb is driving in the powri outlaw midget series that runs Grain Valley Speedway is also a V-6. Think they are Cadillac motors??

3/28/18, 3:20 PM   #14
48M

Ray Boyles cars run Ford SHO motors that came in late 90's Ford SHO Taurus Cars. The motor Ray is running currently is basically stock to my knowledge, no big cam or high compression pistons the good motor was hurt a few years ago when an oil line came off. I don't know about the motor in the car that Ray sold. I do know Ray had to design and build the fuel injection, exhaust, and some other parts for the motors.

2 members like this post: oldfan49, Wayne Davis
3/28/18, 4:10 PM   #15
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
Believe that was A.J. Johnson out of Iowa. That car was originally built by Ray Boyles in KC. Pretty sure the car Merrill Lamb is driving in the powri outlaw midget series that runs Grain Valley Speedway is also a V-6. Think they are Cadillac motors??
Yea, I seem to recall him saying it was a Caddy. Like I said, my 1st Chili Bowl, I was walking around with my mouth hanging open, LOTS to take in!
Thanks
Last edited by revjimk; 3/28/18 at 5:28 PM.

3/28/18, 5:30 PM   #16
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48M View Post
Ray Boyles cars run Ford SHO motors that came in late 90's Ford SHO Taurus Cars. The motor Ray is running currently is basically stock to my knowledge, no big cam or high compression pistons the good motor was hurt a few years ago when an oil line came off. I don't know about the motor in the car that Ray sold. I do know Ray had to design and build the fuel injection, exhaust, and some other parts for the motors.
But he might have said Ford too... I'm 67 & my memory is already going
Thanks

1 member likes this post: DAD
3/28/18, 8:51 PM   #17
suzuki756

Rules rules look what its done for napcar

3/28/18, 8:59 PM   #18
Cobra 14

Best idea ever might be to narrow and harden tires and eliminate engine rules (and engine tech entirely) if you can't get it down.. Your not likely to buy more. Tires and shocks have make huge strides in the last 10 years. Perhaps hard 10" rr and 8"lr is the Holy grail to eliminate costs and still allow people the freedom to run whatever they want
Faster lap times normally result in crappie single file racing.
Last edited by Cobra 14; 3/28/18 at 9:00 PM.

1 member likes this post: mc/rider
3/28/18, 9:35 PM   #19
DAD

The Golden days Midgets raced on skinny 10" Right Rears[IMG][/IMG]

1 member likes this post: Cobra 14
3/28/18, 10:37 PM   #20
DAD

If D2 Midgets and Mini Sprints went to a 10" RR Tire Racing would not be as good.

2 members like this post: mc/rider, The Old Coyote
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Aluminum v6 midget