IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Aluminum v6 midget
3/29/18, 9:24 AM   #21
Re: Aluminum v6 midget
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAD View Post
If D2 Midgets and Mini Sprints went to a 10" RR Tire Racing would not be as good.
those are 8" rr's

6 members like this post: Crankin, DAD, jdull99, mc/rider, MRAY3, The Old Coyote
3/29/18, 10:51 AM   #22
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra 14 View Post
Best idea ever might be to narrow and harden tires and eliminate engine rules (and engine tech entirely) if you can't get it down.. Your not likely to buy more. Tires and shocks have make huge strides in the last 10 years. Perhaps hard 10" rr and 8"lr is the Holy grail to eliminate costs and still allow people the freedom to run whatever they want
Faster lap times normally result in crappie single file racing.
The Focus RR was a 10" tire.

3/29/18, 10:59 AM   #23
Ray3

I want cost to be reduced as much as anyone. I fight for it every day in Midget racing and get ridiculed. Typically I get ridiculed by people who don't pay their own engine bills but I'll save that argument for another day.

Every time we reduce cost the promoters take advantage and lower the purse. For example, a track is paying $1500 to win for 360 winged sprints. They change their engine rules to 305 RaceSaver and overnight they start paying $500 to win instead. Even though the car counts went up. Why? The same number of people are coming through the front gate and more are coming through the back gate. The only way reducing costs works is if the pay stays where its at. D2 pay at $250-$300 to win and $25-50 to start is just not worth it.
Last edited by Ray3; 3/29/18 at 12:09 PM.

3 members like this post: cornerthree, DAD, Wayne Davis
3/29/18, 11:18 AM   #24
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray3 View Post
The Focus RR was a 10" tire.
If they would make an 82" then racers could have something to work with on stagger>>If the 70's Midgets raced on 8" rr's what tread width did they use on the left?

3/29/18, 12:07 PM   #25
Ray3

Quote:
If they would make an 82" then racers could have something to work with on stagger>>If the 70's Midgets raced on 8" rr's what tread width did they use on the left?
I would agree if it weren't for the fact that we never had an issue getting stagger with the 80" Focus RR. We used 74, 76 and 78 back then and since then they added a 77. Should not have an issue getting what you want at all.

2 members like this post: Cobra 14, DAD
3/29/18, 12:39 PM   #26
DAD

Quote:
I would agree if it weren't for the fact that we never had an issue getting stagger with the 80" Focus RR. We used 74, 76 and 78 back then and since then they added a 77. Should not have an issue getting what you want at all.
I think the Focus RR is also a little cheaper best I can remember. The stagger thing would equal out if everyone had the same choice. Some of these little 1/5 Mile Bull Rings and tight turn tracks in Indiana might require a bit more than 6 inches. It probably would go a long way making the HP difference equal out. Now if we could come across some 8 inch stuff like Roy was talking about it would be all driver and set up.

3/29/18, 12:56 PM   #27
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

I think Cobra14 really hit the nail on the head. That could be a great series with a cheap engine under $3k. Micro sprints are cheap but I don't want to drive three hours to and from a race track every weekend.

3/29/18, 1:00 PM   #28
Ray3

Quote:
I think the Focus RR is also a little cheaper best I can remember. The stagger thing would equal out if everyone had the same choice. Some of these little 1/5 Mile Bull Rings and tight turn tracks in Indiana might require a bit more than 6 inches. It probably would go a long way making the HP difference equal out. Now if we could come across some 8 inch stuff like Roy was talking about it would be all driver and set up.
DAD, I can't tell by your post if you know or not. Tires don't measure 74, 76, 77, 78 or 80. If you look at chalk marks at all you should easily be able to get what you want. If you get a larger chalk on an 80 and a smaller chalk on a 74 you could easily see over 7" of stagger. Should be plenty for a Midget.

1 member likes this post: DAD
3/29/18, 1:14 PM   #29
DAD

Quote:
DAD, I can't tell by your post if you know or not. Tires don't measure 74, 76, 77, 78 or 80. If you look at chalk marks at all you should easily be able to get what you want. If you get a larger chalk on an 80 and a smaller chalk on a 74 you could easily see over 7" of stagger. Should be plenty for a Midget.
So OK Ray why not do it?? Be nice to get Hoosier to make one with a harder compound. If you are eating up tires you aren't saving any money, and then there will always be the guys on sticker tires.

3/29/18, 3:13 PM   #30
copper14

a guy from new Zealand and a guy from Australia bought a roller from us several years ago.they were from around Jacksonville ill.they were trying to get a v6 sprint car class going.they said over 100 v6 sprinters would show up for a race in austraila.motors were cheap and plentiful and somebody started making a kit to put it in a car.i don't think they got it going here but I thought it was a great idea to make racing affordable. rollers are affordable and a used v6 equals cheap racing and great car counts.CG

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Aluminum v6 midget