IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg ISW Updates
7/11/11, 3:41 AM   #151
Re: Lawrenceburg ISW Updates
dustbowl

The track at Lawrenceburg has been junk every race, but the first one of the season when it rained all morning. They constantly pack it down WAY too hard. No chance for a tacky track or even a cushion. The heat is no excuse. It was every bit as hot at Kokomo. Kokomo didn't even rework the track at all.

7/11/11, 6:56 AM   #152
Butch47265

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
The track at Lawrenceburg has been junk every race, but the first one of the season when it rained all morning. They constantly pack it down WAY too hard. No chance for a tacky track or even a cushion. The heat is no excuse. It was every bit as hot at Kokomo. Kokomo didn't even rework the track at all.
The Burg lost the gold when they built the new track they had the finest little GOLD MINE in the states, thats what money does for you. Good Luck in future it takes money & thougts.

7/11/11, 7:37 AM   #153
Downey44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch47265 View Post
The Burg lost the gold when they built the new track they had the finest little GOLD MINE in the states, thats what money does for you. Good Luck in future it takes money & thougts.
New track Beautiful facility though!

Thinking Butch and I are a little old school or maybe a fan of the "Bull Rings"
Last edited by Downey44; 7/11/11 at 7:43 AM.

2 members like this post: DWX 9929, trickyricky
7/11/11, 8:59 AM   #154
Eatin Dirt

Agree with Butch and Downey44, I live within 10 minutes of the Burg and have taken to driving to Bloomington or LPS each weekend for some racing. Don't know the reasons for Tim Johnson not doing the track this year, it may have been his choice, but it sure needs to be figured out.

1 member likes this post: Wallsracing
7/11/11, 9:42 AM   #155
webster7

Agreed. I'm done with the "New and Improved Lawrenceburg". They tried to fix something that wasn't broke. They built the new grandstand for the old track. Should have left it alone then. Let the late models have it.

1 member likes this post: mud goodsleeve
7/11/11, 10:32 AM   #156
Gregg

The wife's nephew's daughter saw her very first race last night. At 3-1/2 years old she loved watching the zoom zooms but conked out about 8:15, 15 minutes past her normal bedtime.

Maybe it's the child in me, or I'm just not as cynical as I thought I was, but I'm having a blast as usual keeping up with Sprint Week. I feel fortunate that I wasn't waiting in line until mid morning to get home from Sparta. I'm hoping to get another ISW show or two in before it's all over. My only complaint about last night was it was very hot but hey, it is the hottest month of the year. Having a lot of Poweraid aid & water handy I was able to get through it without a problem.

ISW has displaced my one-time yearning for the Indy 500. This is my Christmas or Hanukkah or Boxing Day x7. I'm sorry Lawrenceburg Speedway is such a bummer for some people.
Last edited by Gregg; 7/11/11 at 11:40 AM.

3 members like this post: fish, FishBurger, Mud Packer
7/11/11, 10:48 AM   #157
Wallsracing

Race Count This Year: 54
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustbowl View Post
the track at lawrenceburg has been junk every race, but the first one of the season when it rained all morning. They constantly pack it down way too hard. No chance for a tacky track or even a cushion. The heat is no excuse. It was every bit as hot at kokomo. Kokomo didn't even rework the track at all.
same track preppers that did silver crown at terre haute ....heck brett burdette lives only few miles from the burg...he has been running lps a lot

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
7/11/11, 10:58 AM   #158
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

The problem is, There was a quarter mile track there that had great racing on it back in the 60s-70s-80s on a fairgrounds that was falling down around it

When they cut the track back fifteen feet to increase the presumed element of safety. That track was ruined. 90 percent of the time it was bottom feeding huggy pole racing. The exact same as what people ***** about when theres not top at Bloomington. What you'll see thursday night at Brownstown and what you'll see at ever cart track and dry slick in the nation. However people percieved they could afford to run on that track more and probably many could. However I watched teams on that old track detonate 7 motors in one year???????????

Rudy took over and they tried to put the track the way it was in the 80s and it was close.

The new track was built, For whatever reason. What good does it do to sit and ***** about it? Go or don't, Your choice. Should the city fork out another million and haul in another thousand truckloads to build a quarter in the infield? IDK, I'd love to see some variety but I don't see it or a huge demolition job just to put a quarter back on it.

I and many others love the new track, Most times it has multi grooves and isn't very dusty although the last three races have been a little more dusty than most. Its still damn fast no matter what conditions, I for one hate watching 900hp sprinters running slower than go karts.

YMMV, My only complaints of last night were sitting through Nine heats of dust (Which had great racing but was hard to see due to dust) And the fact it went totally one groove but so did GC and so do others.

I've been too bloomington three times this year, I seen one good track (Midget week) Im not driving 150miles just to avoid the burg for it, Of course I don't have to. They run fridays

Have fun, I did last night, wasn't the best but were were at a race, not mowing in the hot sun, not sitting inside durring thunderstorms. If you'd rather be "DONE WITH IT" than that. I feel sorry for you.

3 members like this post: FishBurger, Kansasdirtfan, Mud Packer
7/11/11, 11:23 AM   #159
Bill Gardner
Administrator

My perspective on things is probably much different than most.

I don't care if it's 1/4 mile, 3/8th mile, half mile, dusty, too heavy, one groove, rough, too late, too hot, whatever. Doesn't really matter... I always leave the track with a smile on my face and a sore body.:2:

It was great seeing friends!

Thanks to everyone for an enjoyable night of racing!!!

7/11/11, 11:28 AM   #160
wingsareforcheaters

I live about 20 minutes from both LPS and Terre Haute, and love coming over to the burg for USAC and the bigger MSCS shows. I love reading the debates on IOW about who has the best track prep (Burg, Kokomo, Tri-State) but last night sitting in the grandstands I started thinking about if lawrenceburg contines to have this problem how will it effect them long term. The track should not be dry and taking rubber on hot laps. I just hope and pray that it all comes back together so this time next year we are not having this conversation about poor track conditions and I won't have to reconsider my nearly 3 hour drive 3-4 times per year. I have always thought that the Burg has the most financial advantages of any facility and Tri-State had the most track prep equipment which is why Kokomo is so impressive. I will continue to support USAC & MSCS shows as much as time and finances allow and hopefully I will soon see posts regarding how much better the track conditions will be in the weeks to come at the burg.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg ISW Updates