IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > years and years ago
8/23/12, 5:04 PM   #1
years and years ago
big3131

years and years ago they pack the track going counter clockwise I dont remember if it made any difference. what do you guy think.

8/23/12, 9:30 PM   #2
Re: years and years ago
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by big3131 View Post
years and years ago they pack the track going counter clockwise I dont remember if it made any difference. what do you guy think.
Did you mean clockwise? In reverse to the right? At Springfield Speedway we did it that way, and we were told that it was to keep everyone from hot lapping under the yellow, when you were trying to wheel pack. And before power steering, it worked.
I don't think it made much difference in the track prep.

Clay County Speedway packs their track in this fashion too but the sprints do not participate.

8/23/12, 9:53 PM   #3
ThePurple73

They have always done that at Knoxville for years and some tracks in that area.

It seems maybe the composite or make up of the dirt at Knoxville and that area is not as sand oriented or light colored dirt as Indiana tracks, thus holds water more.

I don't know how much it helps to go clockwise on packing. I think the theory is you work the outside down to the rail.

I do remember at Knoxville in the non-wing days, walking across the track from the pit gate was almost impossible, the mud was so deep, it was always funny to watch those that got stuck in the mud trying to walk across it.
Last edited by ThePurple73; 8/23/12 at 11:48 PM.

8/23/12, 11:10 PM   #4
Rpracing1

TSS and THAT have both run in their respective tracks like this at certain times this year.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > years and years ago