IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Vawter (Offline)
  #1 4/28/15 11:30 AM
I am looking to get into racing MMSA and I have a few questions on what chassis are being used. My real question is I have seen that some guys are running a converted midget chassis what all does it take to do this? I am looking for a used rolling chassis because I already have a motor from another project. I would like to get one that is set up as an upright mini sprint already but it seems all that I find are early to mid 2000 era chassis and then really new ones I cannot afford. Are these older ones still competitive or would I be better off buying a newer midget and converting it? Thanks!
cmiracingvids (Offline)
  #2 4/28/15 12:21 PM
There's plenty of good used "older" chassis around. It takes a lotl more than I thought to convert a midget over to a mini sprint. Check classifieds here, and MMSA facebook. Also check with Andy Bradley. (Bradleyracing86). He's on here and has some engines for sale in the classifieds. As long as the chassis is straight, older cars are just fine. Older Henchcrafts, Baileys or ERCs are all good.
DAD (Offline)
  #3 4/28/15 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids:
There's plenty of good used "older" chassis around. It takes a lotl more than I thought to convert a midget over to a mini sprint. Check classifieds here, and MMSA facebook. Also check with Andy Bradley. (Bradleyracing86). He's on here and has some engines for sale in the classifieds. As long as the chassis is straight, older cars are just fine. Older Henchcrafts, Baileys or ERCs are all good.
Vaw

If you can find a good ERC buy it and go racing. You may have to get motor mounts for your engine. Get some experience before you jump in with both feet. To convert a midget you will need rear axle and sprockets (new $600.00 to 700.00. Motor mounts another $200.00 or so. Everything else should be able to work. Checking classified would save money but would be time consuming. There are several complete cars out there with spares. Spares can be expensive. If you are new to open wheel racing a $6000.00 car is as likely to put you in the winners circle as a $25,000.00 car. It ain't cheap but it is a lot of fun and that is what you should be looking for.

Honest Dad himself
2 Likes: 48M, jyoung8j
Leohr46 (Offline)
  #4 4/28/15 2:40 PM
Look around and find a good straight ERC. I ran them for years. There still a good "old" car.
Brettski98 (Offline)
  #5 4/28/15 4:37 PM
We got an early 2000's Ellis frame kit and we had to alter the diagonal by the LF to make room for the bike motor. Depending on the chassis, you may need to cut some other pieces as well. Of course, you'll probably have to weld on tabs for different things (radiator, chain guard, etc.), but it is most definitely doable! We've got a fourteen year old chassis and a nine year old motor and still made the top ten at Montpelier a couple weeks ago. You don't need the latest and greatest; just make up for it with hard work.

Oh, also, one of the reasons we went the midget frame route was the tubing. We like having the big tubing for going to the bigger tracks. The old gal will really haul the mail and its good to not be concerned about safety in that sense. Something to keep in mind.

Hope you get something together and we'll see you at the track!
3 Likes: DAD, jjones752, Leohr46
Leohr46 (Offline)
  #6 4/28/15 5:38 PM
Also like Dad said. Look up the Bradley's. I raced with them for several year before I went sprint car racing. There good guys. They can point you in the right direction.
Avon Open Wheel fan (Offline)
  #7 4/28/15 6:54 PM
Feel free to join the MMSA Facebook group. There is lots of great people who I am sure will help you out.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/232757023579149/

Jay Tinder
Media and Competition Director
ILLINI Midgets

www.illinimidgets.com
garv44 (Offline)
  #8 5/3/15 9:01 PM
I have a 2005 Felker mini sprint available and ready to run. Comes with a 2008 Yamaha R1 with Hyper alcohol setup & power commander, new Viper ceramic coated header and new top wing. As close to turn key as you will find.
Willing to separate and sell as a roller.
Text 1-502-417-1428 for more information.
DAD (Offline)
  #9 5/3/15 9:25 PM
Welcome Mike>>>>>>>Better hold on to that thing. Wonder Valley is cranking back up. If a racer was looking for a good car and one of the best non wing car out there this guy has one, and they are hard to find.

Honest Dad himself
KYRON (Offline)
  #10 5/4/15 8:24 AM
Last years championship car is for sale as roller/spares
ron ambrose