IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Impact Race Products / SFI
3/28/10, 11:41 AM   #21
Re: Impact racing gear
v8j

ok what is going on?

3/28/10, 11:45 AM   #22
sborden93

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinryan16 View Post
I want to know whats going to happen for those of us who have Impact racing gear. They lost certification so can we still run it? Do I have to go buy all new stuff?
I think we are all wondering that and some information from someone would helpful because racing season is starting. Thanks for posting this because I am wondering the same thing and it is not easy for us lower budget teams to go out and buy all new safety gear when your Impact stuff was doing its job.

3/28/10, 12:46 PM   #23
sprinter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sborden93 View Post
I think we are all wondering that and some information from someone would helpful because racing season is starting. Thanks for posting this because I am wondering the same thing and it is not easy for us lower budget teams to go out and buy all new safety gear when your Impact stuff was doing its job.
Two thoughts...I think that your track/sanctioning body will have to decide whether or not you need to buy new equipment...most sanctioning bodies have SFI specifications in their rules....the ramifications of the SFI release to sanctioning bodies are not insignificant.

And how do you know that the Impact products that you use really work up to SFI spec? I realize that this will have some effect on low dollar teams; but can you compromise safety? I'll put it another way; would you continue to use 5 years old belts just because they worked in previous years and looks fine to you? Most, if not all, belt manufacturers recommend rewebbing after two years, and most sanctioning bodies do the same. The thing about this stuff is that you just don't know if it's up to snuff.

So if you want to take a chance, do so....I just hope that if you do, you don't get injured(or worse) because a belt/restraint/other failed....

1 member likes this post: AsianPersuasian
3/28/10, 1:02 PM   #24
TQ29m

I don't know about the rest of the owner/drivers, but we all have to abide by the same "rule", as far as what tag is on the equipment, who's been to SFI, and watched them test anything, I'd say most of us just follow like lemmings, and do what we're told, just like me, when I was trying to find out what/who does the fuel tank/bladder testing, all I know is what I was told, for all I know, they could paint them red, and set them out in a field, and let some honked off Bulls beat em around, or use them for Bumper Soccer, with some old cars. Me, I feel like we the owner/drivers do most of the testing, it'll be interesting to see what the outcome is, but I'd bet there is more buzzing in Nascar, and the IRL, and some of the bigger organizations than there is on here, and I still haven't heard anything out of Nascar about anything related to safety equipment. Bob

3/28/10, 2:04 PM   #25
racinryan16

I am certainly by no means going to risk my safety but i do trust their equipment and I only have their nomex undergarments and shoes. I am fully confident in my Hinchman racing uniform. But its just the point am i going to show up to a racetrack and they tell me i cannot wear my Impact shoes or use my brand new impact belts?

1 member likes this post: sborden93
3/28/10, 2:51 PM   #26
outsider

If the rules spell out a mandate for the SFI ratings and SFI has decertified them, I would think that Impact equipment doesn't meet the rules and can not be used.

If so, then Impact had better start getting their sht together and fix this. Give full refunds for all effected equipment to the original buyer of Impact equipment.

3/28/10, 3:37 PM   #27
racinryan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider View Post
If the rules spell out a mandate for the SFI ratings and SFI has decertified them, I would think that Impact equipment doesn't meet the rules and can not be used.

If so, then Impact had better start getting their sht together and fix this. Give full refunds for all effected equipment to the original buyer of Impact equipment.
Thats what im implying tracks arent gonna ban impact but if they require SFI ratings and impact is not SFI certified its not legal and a big thanks to impact for screwing those of us who bought their stuff!!!

3/28/10, 4:06 PM   #28
treecitytornado

IMPACT SUCKS!

I have never spoke out except between friends until now!

I have raced for 17 years and have always used Simpson Belts, suit, gloves, shoes, etc. I have had to take Impact Belts out of more than one car I have drove for someone else because I did not feel safe with them. They wouldn't get tight, the hardware is like a hard plastic, the shoulder belts and lap belts have no loop to get your hand or screw driver into to really get them tight. Bill Simpson had it right with Simpson Race Products but he needs to take a hard look at the kind of product he is putting out there with Impact!

I would never use Impact Safety Equipment even if they gave it to me!

I fear for anyone that currently does!

3/28/10, 4:24 PM   #29
TQ29m

JT, so you noticed the absence of the loop on the belts also. I quit using them a few years ago myself, not a lot of quality in the product, wonder how many more sets of belts could be made from the 8 or so inches removed from each set. As for the SFI label, it is yet to be decided if that effects the product or not, but is sure does make it look suspicious. Guess we'll find out something soon, then we can start shopping again. I know a lot of folks who have bought new this year, they sure won't be happy if they are turned down, is a catch 22, wait an see, or go ahead and spend. Hopefully, for the time being at least, they will find they are safe to use, just the deal with the tag, still doesn't make for a lot of comfort. Bob

3/28/10, 5:35 PM   #30
Re: Impact
sprntr

Impact Counter-Sues

http://www.impactraceproducts.com/

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Impact Race Products / SFI