IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WoO At Kokomo and Haubstadt
2/25/21, 7:03 PM   #21
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
I believe Gary Blum holds the altitude record at Haubstadt. Landed by the phone pole across the road in the field after clipping a van parked outside turn three during his flight. I believe he was launched when he clipped Cale Medler's wheel.
He came back and ran a four-cylinder modified later in the evening after retrieving his wristwatch from the bean field.
I believe Hud Cone also cleared the road S of the track and would up in the cornfield about 5 years ago. It was a long ride, but not terrifically high. He however was in no shape to come back later in the evening and race. He got banged up, and I think he spent an overnight or maybe two in the hospital.

2/25/21, 8:20 PM   #22
streetglider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73 View Post
AJ Hopkins is my immediate recollection landing where they play the kickball game. I know a car hit the door on the grain building outside 3/4 but can’t remember the car or driver.

Just for clarification, the invitational only
piece was just me being sarcastic. It’s true i’m not a fan of invitational only at Bristol but what has really rubbed me the wrong way is the implication/ notion of non wing cars/drivers taking one look at the banking and subsequent speeds then decide they want no part of it. Last time i checked, it’s the non wing drivers that have a reputation of being a little crazy. 🤷
The driver at kokomo that hit the grain building was John Mapes in a sprint car. What a nasty ride.

2 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, jim goerge
2/25/21, 9:06 PM   #23
Re: WoO At Kokomo and Haubstadt
hoosier race fan

I believe Vince Osman’s tragic accident on the old configuration of Kokomo in 1997 involved his car going over/through the fence in turn 3. I hate to mention an accident that claimed the life of a driver, but I think his car did leave the track as others being mentioned on this topic.

2 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, jim goerge
2/25/21, 10:03 PM   #24
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
I believe Vince Osman’s tragic accident on the old configuration of Kokomo in 1997 involved his car going over/through the fence in turn 3. I hate to mention an accident that claimed the life of a driver, but I think his car did leave the track as others being mentioned on this topic.
If anyone reads malice in your comment they’re TRYING to be offended.

2/25/21, 11:45 PM   #25
hoosier race fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73 View Post
If anyone reads malice in your comment they’re TRYING to be offended.
Thanks for viewing my statement that way. I wanted to be careful with the way I described that accident and had some reservations about even mentioning it out of respect for his family and friends.

2/26/21, 12:27 AM   #26
treecitytornado

Normal lower $$ Indiana teams don't have 2 complete cars ready & a way to haul them, with spares. I guess people don't think about that. Most teams have to choose run the WoO Show or run the Non-Wing show. 😉

3 members like this post: JarrettFarms73, jim goerge, spicoli
2/26/21, 7:45 PM   #27
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
I believe Hud Cone also cleared the road S of the track and would up in the cornfield about 5 years ago. It was a long ride, but not terrifically high. He however was in no shape to come back later in the evening and race. He got banged up, and I think he spent an overnight or maybe two in the hospital.
hud didn"t leave the track,but a couple of his wheels found the corn field, He barreled rolled 7 8 times after he tried to slam the door on KTJ and went over Kevins front wheel instead, totaled the frame.

2/26/21, 8:50 PM   #28
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
hud didn"t leave the track,but a couple of his wheels found the corn field, He barreled rolled 7 8 times after he tried to slam the door on KTJ and went over Kevins front wheel instead, totaled the frame.
Jim he tried to pin KTJ to the wall and it sure didnt look accidental

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

3 members like this post: Dirtfan, jim goerge, ronmil
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WoO At Kokomo and Haubstadt