IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom
11/18/20, 4:18 PM   #11
IndianaSprintFan

There’s hard race and there’s dirty/questionable sliders(which have gotten far to common)then there is driving straight into the corner to hopefully get close enough to hook someone. That to me isn’t “racing contact” it’s a complete jackass and loser move.

11/18/20, 4:24 PM   #12
Re: Windom
DJlives

As for the Triple Crown - to suggest that it only counts if you won all in a single year would be unfair to Pancho Carter in particular. There were years in USAC where there was no attempt to keep schedules separate -and the midgets had seasons where they ran a ton of races. There was no way in Pancho's time a driver could have done this, because there was such overlap. He was the first to win all three series - he is the original Triple Crown winner

11/18/20, 4:48 PM   #13
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJlives View Post
As for the Triple Crown - to suggest that it only counts if you won all in a single year would be unfair to Pancho Carter in particular. There were years in USAC where there was no attempt to keep schedules separate -and the midgets had seasons where they ran a ton of races. There was no way in Pancho's time a driver could have done this, because there was such overlap. He was the first to win all three series - he is the original Triple Crown winner
Life is unfair Pat and not just to Pancho.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
11/18/20, 4:55 PM   #14
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Mike View Post
I agree with GYAT94 on driving style. But not on being a Triple Crown winner. He won all three division, but not in the same year. Maybe a Three Division Champion. Winning the Triple Crown (Stewart, Yeley) Should not be tarnished by others who took several years obtain. Although a great accomplishment to those drivers.
I don" think you understand how hard it is just to win in any of the series much less all 3 in a single year. Yeah Yeley, and Smoke did it which I still find it incredible, but reading what you say is that Darland and Jerry Coons, Poncho, aren"t real triple crown champs cuz took them more than a year. I think you need to rethink what you said.
Last edited by jim goerge; 11/18/20 at 4:56 PM.

11/18/20, 7:02 PM   #15
Ntfsprint5w

I guess Chris lost breaks again for just one lap like he did at Williams Grove with Steve Buckwalter....

11/18/20, 7:14 PM   #16
jonboat15

I've only seen the race on Flo as well as many USAC races. I believe Windom has been driving more aggressively for over a year now, I won't say its dirty but its a product of trying to be a champion sometimes. Me thinks its the influx of very young fearless kids driving pretty safe cars, its turning more and more into a contact sport. Big Daddy is just giving these kids some of their own medicine maybe, I still don't like what he did to Buckwalter at the Grove though. Congrats to Windom for being a triple crown champ he deserves it.

11/18/20, 8:17 PM   #17
openwheelfan1

I drove carts as a teen (way to many years ago) and I have competed in various sports since. I understand that you make decisions “in the heat of the moment” and sometimes you regret those decisions. I also understand that there is contact in racing because you overdrive your car or your competitor overdrives theirs. I draw the line though at making an INTENTIONAL move to take out a competitor in order to gain a position. In a poor quality video I saw onTwitter (that I can’t find again!) it appears Windom did just that, driving straight in to the corner to attempt to take Stenhouse out and gain the position, and in his interview, Windom essentially admitted to doing just that. I’m sorry, but I have absolutely no respect for anyone who has so little respect for their fellow competitors that they would intentionally crash them. Yes, Windom has won the USAC MIdget Championship and is now a Triple Crown champion, but he should be ashamed of how he accomplished the Midget portion of his feat. The fact that he isn’t just makes it sadder.

11/18/20, 8:36 PM   #18
DJlives

Well in this case life is fair for Pancho because I think that the vast majority see him as not only a member of the Triple Crown club..but the first member

6 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, ISF, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, PIT CART
11/18/20, 8:58 PM   #19
opnwhlmnd

Chris doesn't come to the track to make friends ... he brings his own.

For anyone to watch midget racing the last couple years and single out only Chris for questionable moves obviously has an issue with just Chris. The whole division right now is wham bam style.

No mention of Seavey driving in straight to take out Grant on the last lap of their heat. Yes Grant banged him earlier to pass but so did many others through out the night and whole season. The Chili Bowl racing style has come to all midget events now.

Congrats Chris Windom on joining the triple crown club. Well played.

11/18/20, 9:24 PM   #20
badcoupe

Not to mention sunshine doing it on a regular basis. If it doesn’t fall his way he whines. Midgets have seemed to be no holds barred the last few years. Full contact deal with it later. If these guys owned or were invested in their rides and the ability/funds to replace them things would be different. Just my opinion not that it counts.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Windom