IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tracks Unite to Modify Tire Rule
2/17/21, 3:26 AM   #11
Re: Tracks Unite to Modify Tire Rule
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggerman View Post

I just don’t see how going to a softer tire helps at all. To bad you don’t see any of that Hoosier money going into the nightly purse.
BINGO!!!! It goes to the sectioning bodies, where I think it stays.

5 members like this post: bighd0522, Hustlin-Hoosier, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner, TQ29m
2/17/21, 8:27 AM   #12
Sandy Lowe

I know when Bloomington first went to a spec RR Mike & Judy increased the sprint purse. That was a long time ago. I would think most tracks increased their purse too. Everyone just forgets.

2/17/21, 9:22 AM   #13
kcarm92

Sandy as I remember mike telling us that hoosier gave them $ to add to purse or point fund or their pockets , and mike put it in our purse, and if I recall right he added it to the bottom 5 spots ?

2/17/21, 12:51 PM   #14
Agentry10

I agree 100% run the same tire you qualify on and to check for prep no matter who it is check the first 3 and back through the field at random different positions every night so you never know if you will be checked or not
Last edited by Agentry10; 2/17/21 at 12:54 PM.

6 members like this post: jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, spicoli, sprinter31, svfd830, tirespinner
2/17/21, 1:16 PM   #15
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarm92 View Post
Sandy as I remember mike telling us that hoosier gave them $ to add to purse or point fund or their pockets , and mike put it in our purse, and if I recall right he added it to the bottom 5 spots ?
It was a long time ago but I think you are correct. Not sure if it was only 5 spots but I know it increased the start money.

2/17/21, 5:26 PM   #16
HurstBros0

Does anyone know if the sidewall construction of each tire is comparable?
Last edited by HurstBros0; 2/21/21 at 11:41 AM. Reason: My opinion is irrelevant

3 members like this post: jim goerge, Ken Bonnema, tirespinner
2/17/21, 7:04 PM   #17
Blackduce

Running 2 years with a wing car in Ohio and Pa. The only RR tire you could run was a MC3. And was cheap to buy. I can't remember any track that did not.

Lynn

5 members like this post: jim goerge, kcarm92, Ken Bonnema, spicoli, tirespinner
2/19/21, 2:44 AM   #18
Bad Dad 54

I was at Montpelier couple yrs back & Paul Hazen car won w/ a used American Racer, Paul said he was gonna use it again, the tire looked good, had plenty of tread left. What's the big deal about Hoosier tires? seems like every group uses them & they don't last, really wanna save racers money? use a tire that last.

2/22/21, 10:13 AM   #19
Midget98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
I was at Montpelier couple yrs back & Paul Hazen car won w/ a used American Racer, Paul said he was gonna use it again, the tire looked good, had plenty of tread left. What's the big deal about Hoosier tires? seems like every group uses them & they don't last, really wanna save racers money? use a tire that last.
Exactly!!! Hoosier came up with a plan to basically bribe sanctioning bodies, tracks, and promoters to exclusively use Hoosier tires with kick back money. Somehow, no one seems to be smart enough to realize that these incentives or kick backs are just their own money coming back to them after Hoosier takes their profit out first. American Racer (Mccreary) has always made a superior product that will run more than one race without falling off. Hoosier bought its monopoly and the racers are the ones that are hurt by it. Tires can most certainly be made to last. Hoosier could create a tire that would run a number of races and remain competitive, but it's not a good business model as they don't make money on tires that they don't sell. Until the racers stand up and say "enough is enough", they will continue to pay top dollar for a substandard product.

On a side note, didn't Foyt's last 500 win run on one set of tires for the entire race?

2/23/21, 7:14 PM   #20
racenut69

Follow the money....All about the Benjamin's....

3 members like this post: Blacksheep, jim goerge, Ken Bonnema
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Tracks Unite to Modify Tire Rule