IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ocala Problem?
1/14/12, 12:29 PM   #1
Ocala Problem?
Dick Monahan

Race Count Last Year: 26

We just heard a rumor that USAC is not happy with the new track configuration at Ocala. The problem (supposedly) is that that added banking, but did not raise the wall. I was told I might have made a mistake in buying my plane tickets already?

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

1/14/12, 1:00 PM   #2
Re: Ocala Problem?
duel

I hope they run there. that place seemed pretty fast last year. no fence between 1 and 2 looked like it could be a concern to me.

1/14/12, 7:01 PM   #3
BrentTFunk

Dick, did you here this from a good source? I looked at the Bubba Raceway Park website. They had pictures of the track. It looked wider and like it was flat on the top 10 to 12 feet.

1/14/12, 7:43 PM   #4
Max Revs

From my last visit at Bubba Raceway Park in October (Top Gun Series race) - No, track is not wider, and is not flat at the top of the turns. Progressive banking was constructed by adding dirt, but the walls in the turns are the problem area. The walls in October were - "temporary steel guardrails" - as best as I can describe them. I saw a full size stock car take down part of the wall from a moderate impact, leaving a section of steel sticking out from the wall at a right angle - not safe at all. Here are my photos from that day -

Turns 1 & 2:

Turns 3 & 4:

Also, notice in this last photo, at the far left, at turn 4 exit, wall is very low, and is directly in front of a grandstand.

I believe that if the track owner built new permanent concrete walls for the entire radius of both turns, then it would be "problem solved."
Last edited by Max Revs; 1/14/12 at 7:58 PM.

1/14/12, 10:02 PM   #5
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

I was at my track today so when I left I went by there and yes they have added ALOT more banking from when USAC was there last year and as of a few weeks ago added even more to where is is supposedly 18* of banking and with only the 2 guard rails....the concrete wall is covered up...But if there is a concerned I sure Mr. Clem will address it but there is only 3 weeks to do it....It is WAY FASTER then last year!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 9:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:45 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Outlaw View Post
I was at my track today so when I left I went by there and yes they have added ALOT more banking from when USAC was there last year and as of a few weeks ago added even more to where is is supposedly 18* of banking and with only the 2 guard rails....the concrete wall is covered up...But if there is a concerned I sure Mr. Clem will address it but there is only 3 weeks to do it....It is WAY FASTER then last year!!!!!!!
...HERE ARE A FEW PICS...

Front Stretch

Looking from 3 across 4

Back Stretch exit 2

Middle of 1&2

Entrance into 1

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1/14/12, 10:15 PM   #6
darnall

Surely there is a cheaper quicker alternative to new concrete....could some strategically placed Jersey Barriers help elevate the wall where needed?

1/14/12, 10:37 PM   #7
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnall View Post
Surely there is a cheaper quicker alternative to new concrete....could some strategically placed Jersey Barriers help elevate the wall where needed?
Isn't the Jersey Barriers the problem they're concerned about at THAT ?

1/15/12, 12:26 AM   #8
Bad Dad 54

Noticed a problem, the 1st photo shows a cable w/ the fence, the cable should be on the other side of the fence. That way the post helps support the cable if a car hits it spreading the load among the other post too

1/15/12, 12:30 AM   #9
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
Noticed a problem, the 1st photo shows a cable w/ the fence, the cable should be on the other side of the fence. That way the post helps support the cable if a car hits it spreading the load among the other post too

No Cable on the Back stretch at all...had one tear it down this summer but still no cables???? but there is time for improvement

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1/15/12, 3:32 AM   #10
bfranks17

Has anyone ever been to brownstown or Bloomington. There are no fences,walls,or barriers.it doesn't matter big or small. U race according to the track. Stay away from the edge.

Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by bfranks17; 1/15/12 at 3:34 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ocala Problem?