IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
1/11/11, 7:16 AM   #1
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
throb

taken from the indystar.......curt cavin wrote........

NASCAR-style restarts are coming to the Indianapolis 500.

Like their stock car brethren, Indy-car drivers will be lined up two-by-two for restarts on all oval tracks in 2011. That's a change from the single-file restarts used for years.

The difference is in the positioning of lapped cars. NASCAR sends its to the rear to provide the best opportunity for frontrunners to battle one another.

The Izod IndyCar Series will keep lapped cars in their spot in the running order because, as competition director Brian Barnhart said, the leaders "have earned that advantage."

Officials will discuss the plan during a state-of-the-union presentation today at The Westin. It is not open to the public.

Reaction from participants to the double-file restarts has been mixed, Barnhart said. Those with NASCAR experience say the procedure is exciting. Others say it may be a recipe for accidents.

"This is not like NASCAR, where we can rub wheels and doors and get away with it," three-time 500 winner Helio Castroneves said Monday. "It will be a very stressful moment.

"I feel it's creating more of an issue, but I have to give compliments to the officials for trying something. It will be great excitement for the fans, no question."

Also expected to be announced today is the return of the Edmonton race July 24. It was called off last year because of costs associated with changes to City Centre Airport, site of the race.

The 500 is the first of eight oval races. Road courses and street circuits will continue to have single-file restarts because there often is only one lane through tight corners.

2 members like this post: Isaac Chapple Racing, jim goerge
1/11/11, 7:48 AM   #2
Re: Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
D.O.

They don't even start the Indy 500 double wide anymore, how will they do this?

4 members like this post: duggerdirt44, shaftracing07, SUPERDUKE
1/11/11, 9:17 AM   #3
throb

I guess we'll see if any of these guys have balls big enough to haul it down into one on a late race restart to win the 500.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, skids59
1/11/11, 9:24 AM   #4
Seadog

I think it is the dumbing down of IndyCar to match Nascar, which is already dumbed down to ridiculous levels. It's racing, not a circus.

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by throb View Post
I guess we'll see if any of these guys have balls big enough to haul it down into one on a late race restart to win the 500.
Are you including Danica & Simona in that?:2:

3 members like this post: jim goerge, spicoli, SprintManDave
1/11/11, 10:24 AM   #5
throb

the "d" word will never be spoken from my lips....simona has more talent in her pinky toe than "d" has in her entire body!

1 member likes this post: speed bump
1/11/11, 10:44 AM   #6
Seadog

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by throb View Post
the "d" word will never be spoken from my lips....simona has more talent in her pinky toe than "d" has in her entire body!
Tru dat.

1/11/11, 11:06 AM   #7
Blackduce

I can see how this could work for the American drivers, that we would rather watch. ""PUT THE ENGINES BACK IN THE FRONT OF THE CARS" Then we could have real three wide starts like we did for 60 of the 100 years. The American drivers could do restarts same way. Non USA drivers would refain and go home. Take their money and run!!!!!!

Lynn

1 member likes this post: pavement#23
1/11/11, 11:10 AM   #8
NOSTINKINWINGS

Don't that put Milkbags on the front row for every restart?????????????

1/11/11, 11:23 AM   #9
robert gatten

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
just my thought too,remember when they started the race 3 wide in 11 rows and you could see them all on the main straight at the green ? Now their strung out over half the track with no signs of rows. this is for a lack of good open wheel (sprint car) experienced drivers. Now days if you can bring million dollar sponsors and your from anywhere outside the US your a driver. Just my thoughts. time will tell if this is just a thought in the minds of the officials or if these drivers can really pull it off ,or even try.

3 members like this post: jim goerge, SprintManDave, Xflagman
1/11/11, 2:05 PM   #10
racinround

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
BINGO!!! We have a winner!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11