IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oz car ID help needed
12/3/16, 10:33 PM   #1
Oz car ID help needed
rrc

l'm looking for a little history info for this earlier 1980's OZ chassis. It came from the Argos, Indiana area.Not much is known about it. Perhaps someone may recognize it...you can see someone added a second set of wing mounts. There is also added bracing to the steering bar that goes across the roll cage.It appears to me it has had a new front clip at some point and minor repair to the rear radius rod mount area on both sides. The top and bottom frame rails on both sides directly in front of motor plate area have 2 welds around them giving the clip replacement hint. Very nice job though. I would say it went back to the original shop for the repairs.It appears that its last ride knocked off the right front shock bracket.The only clue ever mentioned was a possible Hank Lower car but nothing at this point can be proven.Overall its in nice shape.Its a long shot, but i'm hoping someone may recognize it and I can retrace its owners and history. Any help, leads or ideas appreciated. thanks, rc
Last edited by rrc; 12/11/18 at 5:04 PM.

12/4/16, 12:30 PM   #2
Re: Oz car ID help needed
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I know on Facebook there is a Gambler group which people trace cars back, show of their rebuilds etc. But I can't find nothing on OZCAR. I know Butler, Hillenburg and Staab ran Champ Cars by OSborne but the only sprint I ever knew was Jeff Gordons #16

2 members like this post: jim goerge, rrc
12/4/16, 1:25 PM   #3
rrc

I always went to the Fremont Ohio and Indy swap meets. I met and always saw a nice guy named Mark. I can't recall his last name but he was tall with longer brown hair parted on the side and a mustache. When I was restoring a Tim Norman Oz car, I thought he may have told me he had a Hank Lower Oz car...or someone well known. I saw a pic of Mark in a sprint with a checkerd flag shot but can't recall where it was..thought perhaps last name was Caldwell on the photo,but uncertain.i think the car was a light colored #11?Anyone know who I'm talking about? I'd like to find a way to contact him and see if he may know about this car...

12/4/16, 1:35 PM   #4
ChanceDHolley

Race Count This Year: 31
Race Count Last Year: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I know on Facebook there is a Gambler group which people trace cars back, show of their rebuilds etc. But I can't find nothing on OZCAR. I know Butler, Hillenburg and Staab ran Champ Cars by OSborne but the only sprint I ever knew was Jeff Gordons #16
Dad had an 85 Oz (Sprint) car he bought off of Hillenburg. Said it was one of the best cars he ever drove.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, rrc
12/4/16, 2:31 PM   #5
chop

If this was a Hank Lower car. I would look at old pictures from the 80's of Hank Lower cars from SOD and Butler. I can remember a lot of OZ cars that race with SOD.

1 member likes this post: rrc
12/4/16, 3:15 PM   #6
rrc

there were alot of Oz cars Chop....I saw some of hanks 1984 Oz pics. Unfortunately with just a frame, the pics don't do much good. I need to know who last raced this car and start a journey of previous owners till I hopefully find the original owner.I assume someone owned and raced the car after Hank. It may also help alot if Hank could remember who he sold his Oz to...would be a start..
Last edited by rrc; 12/4/16 at 3:40 PM.

12/4/16, 3:25 PM   #7
mlamb

Cris Eash 17E
Darren Eash 7
Jim Nace 26
Fred Linder 3x
Robbie Stanley 44R
Rodney Duncan 22
Tim Norman 5J
Kerry Norris 5N
Joe Gaerte 3G
Eric Gordon 75
Jeff Gordon 16
Joey Saldana 88 (white car/blue numbers)
I believe these cars were all Oz cars.

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Dirtfan, jim goerge, rrc, SPD 37
12/4/16, 3:43 PM   #8
rrc

thanks mlamb. I think Jim Woefiel also had one. The cars of Tim Norman and Fred Linder have been restored.Not sure of any others mentioned..

2 members like this post: mlamb, sprint18
12/4/16, 3:57 PM   #9
Tim Bookmiller

Add Terry Shepherd to Oz car owners

3 members like this post: mlamb, rrc, SPD 37
12/4/16, 3:59 PM   #10
SPD 37

Tim Gee blue and white 88 oz car

3 members like this post: Dirtfan, mlamb, rrc
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Oz car ID help needed