IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Isw afterthoughts
7/18/17, 10:04 AM   #1
Isw afterthoughts
flagboy55

Now that the dust has settled on another Indiana Sprint Week, would like to hear any thoughts about your take on the events. What was the best, what would you change? I would change getting rained out on the 2 events I was able to attend. What do you think?

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, GYATK94, Kydehart
7/18/17, 10:21 AM   #2
GYATK94

Race Count This Year: 36
Race Count Last Year: 34

Another fantastic week of racing. Congrats to KTJ. Unfortunately, I was only able to attend one of the sprint week races, but it was another great one at Kokomo. Cool to see T Mez and Chase Briscoe get their first team win. Haubstadt had a wild finish.

Thanks to all the drivers, teams, tracks, and fellow fans who continue to make this a great week unique to our state.

I've got a similar change to the one flagboy suggested. I'm changing the person responsible for showing me a 5% chance of rain during the evening at Terre Haute about 3 hours before a downpour. We need a new employee there lol.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, cmakin, dirt330, flagboy55, Kydehart
7/18/17, 12:09 PM   #3
Kydehart

I was fortunate enough to make lawrenceburg and the Lincoln park rain date, as well as getting rained out at terre haute. Happy to be able to see Leary get a win in the family car and watching ktj try to hold on to 8th place at putnamville was great. The weather was definitely unfortunate this year but it what a week of great racing all around. I hope to one day be able to go to the entire week of sprint week instead of just a couple shows.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, GYATK94
7/18/17, 12:29 PM   #4
superstock30

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 15+

I would like to see ISW expanded! Through in Paragon, Bownstown, Plymouth, Montpellier, Chandler, North Vernon, etc... Let's hit as many indiana tracks as we can in a two week period.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Kydehart, nathans1012, Rich Mersereau
7/18/17, 1:37 PM   #5
Re: Isw afterthoughts
Stevensville Mike

I would like to see it moved away from the Kings Royal Weekend at Eldora. That way, I could do both.

7/18/17, 1:49 PM   #6
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstock30 View Post
I would like to see ISW expanded! Through in Paragon, Bownstown, Plymouth, Montpellier, Chandler, North Vernon, etc... Let's hit as many indiana tracks as we can in a two week period.
Although from strictly a spectator standpoint we'd love to see a protracted ISW schedule. However, some would say that ISW is so special because it is short, intense and each event carries with it the charm and uniqueness of the venue.

It's safe to say that the competitors and most fans wouldn't want it to turn into a all consuming, grueling marathon such as the UMP Summernational tour. The UMP thing has become a veritable shadow of what it once was and the virtual size of the schedule has diluted it to a point where it doesn't have nearly the significance it had 15 or 20 years ago. There are maybe 5 or 6 events on the entire Summernationals tour that are noteworthy in their own right. Every race on the ISW schedule is an event in every sense of the word.

7/18/17, 1:53 PM   #7
chathamracefan

ISF hit the nail on the head re: the Summer Nationals. It needs to have about 10 events chopped off of it imo. Too drawn out. Some of the venues don't have a car count worthy of $25 or $30 to get in. I didn't go to Sprint Week but I did watch 2 PPV's (Kokomo & Gas City) and ordered the Terre Haute monsoon. The racing was good & the PPV quality was top notch.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, Kydehart, tirespinner
7/18/17, 3:31 PM   #8
Simon_says17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Although from strictly a spectator standpoint we'd love to see a protracted ISW schedule. However, some would say that ISW is so special because it is short, intense and each event carries with it the charm and uniqueness of the venue.

It's safe to say that the competitors and most fans wouldn't want it to turn into a all consuming, grueling marathon such as the UMP Summernational tour. The UMP thing has become a veritable shadow of what it once was and the virtual size of the schedule has diluted it to a point where it doesn't have nearly the significance it had 15 or 20 years ago. There are maybe 5 or 6 events on the entire Summernationals tour that are noteworthy in their own right. Every race on the ISW schedule is an event in every sense of the word.
They still have 10 more $10,000 to win shows than ISW has... But to me, the Summer National Tour is just a high paying mini-schedule. 32 races that pay 5-10 grand a show. I say if they can do it, and it's profitable (which it most certainly is), then more power to em'.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, superstock30, TNRustler
7/18/17, 3:54 PM   #9
revjimk

My first ISW, caught Kokomo & Lawrenceburg.... Had fun, I'll be back
If it wasn't for family obligations I would have hit Doty Classic & KR on the way back east
Good to hang out with good ole Brent T. Funk, meet some of his friends, & make new ones

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, fish, flagboy55, Kydehart
7/18/17, 4:04 PM   #10
OnTheHammer

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 35

How about condense the schedule into 4 races (FRI, SAT, SUN and a week day event on a day of the facilities choosing). Then have a 2 week break and schedule another 4 races at 4 different tracks.
Maybe 4 northern IN tracks one week and then the southern-based tracks for week 2.

Recognize champions for each 'INDIANA SPRINT WEEK' and an overall INDIANA SPRINT SUPER SERIES champion based upon the 8 races.

2 members like this post: FEATHERDUSTER, superstock30
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Isw afterthoughts