IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Champaign co. Fair war non-wing race: Calling all drivers!
7/16/17, 1:46 PM   #11
Re: Champaign co. Fair war non-wing race: Calling all driver
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Sprinter 31, how awesome you were at the track. At that time I lived in Streator, IL. My house was next door to a body shop that many times worked on the late model driven by Jack Tyne. Tyne has bought a new sleek Camaro to race at Fisher and other big tracks. During the fall of one of those mid 70's years, I remember one of their guys telling me how big a race was in Champaign and how many cars were at the race. It must have been this track. Probably the same for sprint cars, too. Wish I could have gotten there more.

Thanks for your info.

1 member likes this post: sprinter31
7/16/17, 2:18 PM   #12
sprinter31

It just so happened that we were at a wedding in champaign on that Saturday. My Dad being a huge race fan was talking to someone at the weeding and found out there were races that night so we went. Sent my Mom and sister home with friends and we went to the races in our suit clothes. LoL. I was 14 or 15 at the time. Now we are headed back with my son running our family sprinter. I am happy that Casey is bringing Non wing racing back to Illinois.

4 members like this post: ISF, PIT CART, Simon_says17, tirespinner
7/17/17, 8:51 PM   #13
Babbfan

I'll probably be heading to champaign friday night. I too am curious what kind of a field will be present. Would love it if some Indiana cars made their way over on Friday and Saturday too (Spoon River saturday) Hoping for a great non-wing double header in Illinois!

2 members like this post: Simon_says17, victory_rising99
7/18/17, 4:54 PM   #14
victory_rising99

Just a few days away! Any word on who might make the short trip over to illinois for a non-wing double header weekend?! Lets pack the pits and stands!

1 member likes this post: ISF
7/19/17, 11:00 AM   #15
ISF

We'll be there. I've never attended a race at this track (or the 1/2 mile) even though I spent a few years of my life in close proximity. I love attending venue's we've never seen before.

We live less than 2 hours away and it's great to have 410 wingless sprint car racing so close to home. Fairbury, Champaign and Canton are all well within driving distance from us and it's been literally decades since there was 3 wingless races so close to home.

Really hope these groundbreaking events start a trend for the future!!

5 members like this post: erich45, illinifan, Simon_says17, sprinter31, Steve Wendel
7/19/17, 2:16 PM   #16
mscs20

I was out there at noon. It looks great. They started watering last night. Got an inch of rain this morning and they are back watering again this afternoon. All the fair food you want is right behind the grandstand including bathrooms, not porta pottys.
The grandstands are old school fairgrounds, covered, facing the north, so theres no sun in your eyes or hot seats to sit on.

7/20/17, 8:46 AM   #17
victory_rising99

1 day away! Non-wing racing in illinois! So pumped! Hoping to see some marquee names in the pits and a packed grandstand! Leaving work early so we can get there and sample some fair food!

7/20/17, 10:27 AM   #18
Babbfan

Pretty excited too! Really hoping to see some Indiana boys come mix it up over here in Illinois. I can rarely make it over to Indiana to see these guys so hoping for at least a few to pop in on Friday. But if not, should still be a good time. Also saw it was a TV race so good exposure for sponsors. I've been wanting to see a non-wing race at Spoon River for a long time, so I am pretty stoked for Saturday as well!

1 member likes this post: victory_rising99
7/21/17, 8:35 AM   #19
victory_rising99

Can't wait to see what drivers make this show tonight! I'd think with it being taped for tv and 2k to win there would surely be a few indiana shoes make the short trip over! Not getting to go to as many shows this year so hoping this one will be a good one!

2 members like this post: ISF, Simon_says17
7/21/17, 10:54 AM   #20
ISF

This show is $2000.00 to win?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Champaign co. Fair war non-wing race: Calling all drivers!