IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Isw afterthoughts
7/19/17, 8:20 PM   #31
captrat

The last thing which ISW needs is expansion. There is another thread about what holds Sprint Car racing back. All sports are meeting the world of saturation. Too many teams, too many meaningless games, etc. Want to see this in motorsports, checkout NASCAR. I would never want to see our brand reach this point as it dilutes the uniqueness and appeal. Upgrade purses, facilities no problem. Too many races, too many tracks competing for the same competitors and dollars spells disaster.

7/19/17, 10:16 PM   #32
Re: Isw afterthoughts
58slim

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!!!!!! ISW is continuing to grow every year so they must be doing something right. Some might have a preference that would suit them better for their situation, but it might discourage others. A good anti-rain dance before Terre Haute might be in order for next year; otherwise leave it the way it is and let it continue to grow!!!!!!!!!!

7/19/17, 10:43 PM   #33
KingRandomUser

Looking at the following it has, why change a good thing? Still one has to keep an open mind as to what could be done and not make things get too stale either. But nevertheless I don't think much of anything needs to change.

IF ISW were to expand, it should only by a race or two at most. There are probably two or three other tracks capable of hosting an event, but again let's not oversaturate the schedule too much. These current 7 races are already a strain on owners [and some fans] as it is, so gotta keep them in mind too. Perhaps if the purse was increased all the way through the field enough and the ISW points fund was increased a little then maybe, but that would require some extra sponsorship to be found as to not increase ticket/pit prices. As well as to support the extra races.

There are two slight changes that I'd like to see though.

As one poster said earlier, I'd also like to see ISW moved away from the Kings Royal weekend. Perhaps start a week sooner? Take advantage of the July 4th holiday too if it did move. Good opportunity for a nice fireworks show too if they wanted to hold one [or several]. What could be better?

Shuffle the schedule slightly. Basically it could be a slight shakeup in the order of the week every few years. An alternate schedule could be Bloomington, LPS, Haubstadt to start, then Terre Haute, Lawrenceburg, Gas City, Kokomo. There are a few other combinations possible too, but it'd be fun to see a little shakeup in the order of tracks once in a while.

Just my two cents. Still ISW is a fun event even in its current form. Nothing drastic needs to be done. Maybe just a tweak or two to keep things fun and interesting for years to come.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, oppweld, Stevensville Mike, tirespinner
7/20/17, 12:48 AM   #34
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathans1012 View Post
I don't necessarily mean another non-wing week but maybe a wing week with non-wing sprints on the same card at the same track on the same night maybe in Mid-September.

Here is another thought that would be cool to see Indiana dirt track promoters come together on. There are approximately 15 dirt tracks in Indiana not including Baer Field & Thunder Valley in Salem. Just my opinion that it would be cool to see a mini series in Indiana with 410 Wing Sprints, 410 Non-Wing Sprints, Midgets, & Modifieds on that same card. Now the series would do 1 race at each dirt track during the year except when USAC is at a track in the state or at Eldora. Now if wing sprints don't work may try Late Models that way fans of both get the best of both worlds.

Bloomington - Brownstown - Chandler - Daugherty - Gas City - Kokomo - Lawrenceburg - Lincoln Park - Montpelier - Paragon - Plymouth - Shadyhill - Terre Haute - Tri-State - Twin Cities.
I got what you were saying, sorry if it came off the wrong way, just chose your comment to make my reply on.

That said, not sure how receptive a Wing Week would be received in Indiana since they're not exactly embraced in Indiana these days. Use to be but now....

2 members like this post: jim goerge, mike mcghee
7/22/17, 7:02 AM   #35
Re: Isw afterthoughts
Stephen Cording

7th straight (full) ISW for this Brit.

Gas City & Haubstad were the shows of tour.

Just a shame that you always seem to have a few selfish individuals that insist on standing at Haubstad during the races, yes we know you are X-Y-Z's super-fan but please sit down so A-B-C's super fan seated behind you can see the race, with so many officers from the local sheriff's department in attendance it really wouldn't be hard to enforce or remind folk of simple manners and respect for others in attendance.

Whinge over.

I do wonder if mixing up the schedule a bit would attract larger car counts towards to the end of the week.

Start at; Haubstad (fri) - Terre Haute (sat) - Bloomington (sun) - Monday rain date - Lawrenceburg (tue) - Putnamville (Wed & Thurs) - Gas City (Fri) - Kokomo (Sat) - Sunday rain date.

With the effort that Putnamville has put in over the last few years a Sprint Weekend double would be a justified 'thank you' (Kokomo has Smackdown don't forget), and I'm sure a lot of fans / teams would welcome a two day no travelling show.

What ever may come I'll be back for the full ISW once again in 2018.

Special thanks to USAC & the O'conner's for getting the Gas City show in and on the go. I'm still amazed that so few folk came out. It's Gas City !! Ok the bleachers might not be the best (probability the worst) but Gas City is as bad ass as Kokomo for bullring sprint car racing.

As always thank you to each and every person (and pet) that made ISW happen from the Car Owners to car parking attendants . Thank you.

That's enough of this love-in

Bring on Smackdown

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Isw afterthoughts