IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson to the 500!!! (Never thought I'd see the day...)
1/12/23, 5:25 PM   #11
Re: Larson to the 500!!! (Never thought I'd see the day...)
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I think it's a great thing for Indycar as I probably wouldn't watch if he wasn't in it. I got no connection to any of the racers there whereas I've seen Larson and other USACers run several times at smaller venues,
Thats a Catch 22 because if you watch IndyCar , then you WOULD have a connection to those drivers like you do with the USACer's... Lots of cool personalities . Who cares where they're from? If you don't understand that these guy's are REAL RACERS but don't like them because they never ran Kokomo, well you are just showing your ignorance....

3 members like this post: Dale, opnwhlmnd, Tonymain74
1/12/23, 5:35 PM   #12
MassiveRaceFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I think this is great for all of open wheel racing. I love the Indy 500. It is still the biggest race in the world. I have a friend that works in promotions for a track that hosts IndyCar and NASCAR. He says the Indy drivers are easier to work with, and go out of their way to connect with the fans. Charles, if you have never been to Indy, it is worth trying at least once. Indy cars on an oval are about as good as it gets. Even if you don't go on race day.
Yes, Indycar on an oval is as good as it gets, but unfortunately they've had very few ovals the last several years, trying to emulate F1.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
1/12/23, 5:38 PM   #13
MassiveRaceFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
What about Ed??? & Santino is racing at Tulsa this week..

& yes, I'm certain all of the drivers had to go to the back in the 600. NASCAR didn't seem to encourage this much at 1st, but it should raise interest in both series, and maybe Kyle can attend the drivers meeting on the airplane ride via zoom or smthn now...
I'm pretty sure NASCAR has still required drivers to start from the back for not being at the meeting, even if they appeared by videocall.

1/12/23, 6:39 PM   #14
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
Thats a Catch 22 because if you watch IndyCar , then you WOULD have a connection to those drivers like you do with the USACer's... Lots of cool personalities . Who cares where they're from? If you don't understand that these guy's are REAL RACERS but don't like them because they never ran Kokomo, well you are just showing your ignorance....
Can I clarify something? I used to watch the Indy 500 Milwaukee Mile, Michigan and most of the ovals from the 70s-90s Because Bettenhausen, Foyt, Andrettis, Unsers etc. etc. ran them and I seen them as kids running local and on Wide World of Sports. Hell they might even rent out the top five rows at the Burg on a off weekend to just come watch (Like AJ Did)

Last year, I think there were two that really raced dirt and asphalt short track around Indy and nearby. I just looked up at the screen from time to time, Not really caring who was where. Sage Karam is fun to watch.

Sorry, They lost me, Not the other way around. Now they don't run many ovals at all. They're all running clone cars. Used to be innovation and test of endurance and equipment. . Ignorance? Maybe just a loss of interest is more like it.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/12/23 at 6:43 PM.

1 member likes this post: jonboat15
1/12/23, 6:52 PM   #15
Grocery Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveRaceFan View Post
Yes, Indycar on an oval is as good as it gets, but unfortunately, they've had very few ovals the last several years, trying to emulate F1.
I wouldn't necessarily say Indy Car is trying to emulate F1. Real Indy Car fans want more ovals. But think about it - What ovals haven't been tried? Phoenix, Kansas, Joliet, Kentucky, Pocono, Atlanta, Charlotte, Richmond, Nashville Superspeedway, Fontana? Which of those tracks had great attendance? NONE, or the promoters would still be having Indy Car races at them. Seen the attendance at Texas the last few years? Seems to get lower every year. We're lucky that St. Louis has firm dates, and that Roger used his power to get Iowa back open. Until fans support any new ovals, get used to the road and street courses.

7 members like this post: Dale, erich45, jdull99, Offroadrace_814, PIT CART, Puppy, Tonymain74
1/12/23, 7:14 PM   #16
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say Indy Car is trying to emulate F1. Real Indy Car fans want more ovals. But think about it - What ovals haven't been tried? Phoenix, Kansas, Joliet, Kentucky, Pocono, Atlanta, Charlotte, Richmond, Nashville Superspeedway, Fontana? Which of those tracks had great attendance? NONE, or the promoters would still be having Indy Car races at them. Seen the attendance at Texas the last few years? Seems to get lower every year. We're lucky that St. Louis has firm dates, and that Roger used his power to get Iowa back open. Until fans support any new ovals, get used to the road and street courses.
Mega dittos! You took the words out of my mouth. It certainly would be nice if there were more ovals to TRY to go to, but promoters do not want to lose money. I like McLaren's commitment to Indycar, while meanwhile it appears all Andretti cares about is getting to F1 somehow; but I'd wish one of them would get in to promoting oval Indycar races (again for Andretti - he did at least Milwaukee before, but if he had the passion he has for going f1 racing, maybe he could make more of an effort on an Indycar oval race; OR hiring a driver that connected with American fans...). Sadly, this Iowa wknd comes with a steep tix prices to support 4 big name (modern) music acts...I'd rather they had some county fair lower priced ticket talent and even out the pricing on the tickets, but we will see how it works...you get to see four bands and two indycar races for cheaper than an f1 USGP seat or a Taylor Swift concert...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1/12/23, 7:17 PM   #17
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveRaceFan View Post
I'm pretty sure NASCAR has still required drivers to start from the back for not being at the meeting, even if they appeared by videocall.
I imagine so. My emphasis was they could make an exception. NASCAR is making a LOT of changes...espcly about inclusivity and all that; so they should offer nothing but compassion; but they would need to get over certain issues...(with Larson & Indycar).
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1/12/23, 7:21 PM   #18
MassiveRaceFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
There were plenty of ovals until around 2009-2011 Indycar voluntarily removed like half of them from the schedule. Gateway and Iowa have lots of fans, and I don't buy the attendance claims when some of the road races on the schedule don't do well yet still are on the schedule. And my interest in Indycar is rapidly declining, I was considering not bothering to watch this year, but decided to. If the next year or two doesn't bring big changes, I will quit watching Indycar.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, jonboat15
1/12/23, 7:25 PM   #19
Grocery Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
Mega dittos! You took the words out of my mouth. It certainly would be nice if there were more ovals to TRY to go to, but promoters do not want to lose money. I like McLaren's commitment to Indycar, while meanwhile it appears all Andretti cares about is getting to F1 somehow; but I'd wish one of them would get in to promoting oval Indycar races (again for Andretti - he did at least Milwaukee before, but if he had the passion he has for going f1 racing, maybe he could make more of an effort on an Indycar oval race; OR hiring a driver that connected with American fans...). Sadly, this Iowa wknd comes with a steep tix prices to support 4 big name (modern) music acts...I'd rather they had some county fair lower priced ticket talent and even out the pricing on the tickets, but we will see how it works...you get to see four bands and two indycar races for cheaper than an f1 USGP seat or a Taylor Swift concert...
Totally agree with you. Be nice if the Indy Car owners could try to figure out how to make more ovals profitable. Milwaukee seems to be off the table because of Road America. Michigan won't work because of the Detroit street race. What's left? As you say and according to some friends, the Iowa Indy Car ticket prices have drastically gone up in price for 2023. Seem the concerts are a bigger deal than the races. Sadly, it should be the other way around.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
1/12/23, 9:45 PM   #20
Charles Nungester

Race Count Last Year: 14

Glad to see Im not alone. Never said they weren't real racers or race cars. But the direction went the opposite way of my taste. Always was about half the field or more drivers from around the world. But that also included cars from around the world.

1 member likes this post: dkdorkboy
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson to the 500!!! (Never thought I'd see the day...)