IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson to the 500!!! (Never thought I'd see the day...)
1/12/23, 2:16 PM   #1
Larson to the 500!!! (Never thought I'd see the day...)
jdull99

https://racer.com/2023/01/12/larson-...arrow-mclaren/

The bump Indycar needed...???

Thanks Rick Hendrick!
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1/12/23, 2:32 PM   #2
Re: Larson to the 500!!! (Never thought I'd see the day...)
jdull99

I shoulda said he is going to attempt it...I hate that every headline writer just says every car announced is goin to run it...I know there is not really any bumps, but a lot can happen...

1/12/23, 2:43 PM   #3
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I think it's a great thing for Indycar as I probably wouldn't watch if he wasn't in it. I got no connection to any of the racers there whereas I've seen Larson and other USACers run several times at smaller venues.

There's one thing, If you win indy you are required to be available for a few hours after the race, the next morning for GMA, Today etc. The pretty much ruins chances for the 600. Didn't Stewart get put to the rear because he missed pre race drivers meeting at the 600 and that's just being able to leave soon after the Indy 500

I just caught this, It's for 2024 not this year.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/12/23 at 2:46 PM.

1/12/23, 2:47 PM   #4
mscs20

Why are they waiting until 2024 race?

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
1/12/23, 2:56 PM   #5
BrentTFunk

I think this is great for all of open wheel racing. I love the Indy 500. It is still the biggest race in the world. I have a friend that works in promotions for a track that hosts IndyCar and NASCAR. He says the Indy drivers are easier to work with, and go out of their way to connect with the fans. Charles, if you have never been to Indy, it is worth trying at least once. Indy cars on an oval are about as good as it gets. Even if you don't go on race day.

5 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, jdull99, mc/rider, opnwhlmnd, PIT CART
1/12/23, 3:09 PM   #6
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscs20 View Post
Why are they waiting until 2024 race?
Ideally to get him laps in the car...I imagine they have a plan with indycar to get him licensed...(thats one of the problems...you can't just jump in these anymore...but it happens to their own...Colton Herta can't get licensed for F-1...)
Last edited by jdull99; 1/12/23 at 3:10 PM.

1/12/23, 3:12 PM   #7
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I think it's a great thing for Indycar as I probably wouldn't watch if he wasn't in it. I got no connection to any of the racers there whereas I've seen Larson and other USACers run several times at smaller venues.

There's one thing, If you win indy you are required to be available for a few hours after the race, the next morning for GMA, Today etc. The pretty much ruins chances for the 600. Didn't Stewart get put to the rear because he missed pre race drivers meeting at the 600 and that's just being able to leave soon after the Indy 500

I just caught this, It's for 2024 not this year.
What about Ed??? & Santino is racing at Tulsa this week..

& yes, I'm certain all of the drivers had to go to the back in the 600. NASCAR didn't seem to encourage this much at 1st, but it should raise interest in both series, and maybe Kyle can attend the drivers meeting on the airplane ride via zoom or smthn now...

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Charles Nungester
1/12/23, 3:23 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
I think this is great for all of open wheel racing. I love the Indy 500. It is still the biggest race in the world. I have a friend that works in promotions for a track that hosts IndyCar and NASCAR. He says the Indy drivers are easier to work with, and go out of their way to connect with the fans. Charles, if you have never been to Indy, it is worth trying at least once. Indy cars on an oval are about as good as it gets. Even if you don't go on race day.
I went up there several times in the 90s for practice and even one pole day. Every time I walked pit road the only driver greeting people and chatting was Gary B. The rest only accessible thru sponsor parties and several Riggs with catering and a sign that said if you don't have a million in your pocket, DO NOT ENTER. (Sarcasm)

That's my take on it. I could be completely wrong.

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
1/12/23, 3:40 PM   #9
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

No Charles your not wrong, but its still some of the finest racecars ever concieved and a sight to behold for a race fan. Single seater, open wheel. Setting the standard of what a race car should be for over 110 years. The only thing missing is a mile dirt track

1/12/23, 3:48 PM   #10
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Strange to announce this for 2024. A lot could happen between now and then.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson to the 500!!! (Never thought I'd see the day...)