IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl so far.
1/12/23, 1:52 PM   #31
Re: Chili Bowl so far.
ginblueearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
The thought from several former races I’m friends with on FB is that Torgensen’s arm restraints caught his latch on his belts and released them. Continued positive thoughts and prayers for the young racer. Thankful that as bad as it was, it appears he will survive.
I had a long shoelace.I put through the Hole on the end Of the latch. And then Twisted it together and wrapped it with duct tape. And I would tuck that underneath my leg. Help prevent anything from getting underneath the latch and. Unlocking it. To prevent just what we've seen happen last night. I'm about 99% sure. That's exactly what happened. Something got underneath the latch on his harnesses and unlocked it. They weren't installed wrong. The seat didn't come loose. The belts didn't fail. They just got on latch somehow. Sadly, this is the third time I've seen a driver come out of the car. The other two times were fatal. The first time was at Jackson, MN, in a 6 cylinder modified. The other time was Barry Kettering. At Fairmont, Minnesota. That time. Is harnesses failed from old age? Sounds like the outcome from this one is gonna be much better. He's in my prayers. But please every driver check your equipment and check it good. And don't cut corners.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/12/23, 2:18 PM   #32
jdull99

https://www.speedsport.com/sprints-m...li-bowl-wreck/
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1/12/23, 2:35 PM   #33
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Apparently he is just being kept for observation due to some blood on the brain. NO BROKEN BONES found so far. Resting and sore. But so far a miracle. "This from Chili Bowl Nationals FB post"
Also will do another CT scan to check on the noggin on friday morning.

I've seen several drivers make the claim of arm restraint catching belt latch and that they've had it happen. Heck I think Hewitt even has a interview of him saying he had it happen at eldora with a couple to go (Non wreck related)

But we do not know this was the case here. I'm sure proper investigation will be done. Lets just be glad this wasn't a fatal lesson.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 1/12/23 at 3:16 PM.

1/12/23, 3:28 PM   #34
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
Apparently he is just being kept for observation due to some blood on the brain. NO BROKEN BONES found so far. Resting and sore. But so far a miracle. "This from Chili Bowl Nationals FB post"
Also will do another CT scan to check on the noggin on friday morning.

I've seen several drivers make the claim of arm restraint catching belt latch and that they've had it happen. Heck I think Hewitt even has a interview of him saying he had it happen at eldora with a couple to go (Non wreck related)

But we do not know this was the case here. I'm sure proper investigation will be done. Lets just be glad this wasn't a fatal lesson.
Surely the belt manufacturer will be anxious to get out in front of this.

1/12/23, 3:55 PM   #35
Whit11B

I've heard of drivers even catching the sure lock style shifter handle on their arm restraint. I haven't thought about it before but some models of belts have a velcro flap attached to the belt buckle and others don't. Like the Simpson platinum ratcheting style looks like it doesn't. Probably something to consider when buying belts.
Attached Images
Screenshot_20230112_144832_Firefox.jpg (90.2 KB, 59 views)
Screenshot_20230112_144818_Firefox.jpg (157.4 KB, 87 views)

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, ericg25, Grocery Guy, rick42, tirespinner
1/12/23, 4:02 PM   #36
Dale

Last edited by Dale; 1/12/23 at 4:05 PM. Reason: dupe

1/12/23, 4:37 PM   #37
Charles Nungester

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvPf0...lsa%7CChannel2

1/12/23, 5:39 PM   #38
chop

It has been a few years. At Butler motor speedway. In hot laps, saw Doug Wolfgang hook wheels with a backmarker. They both flipped down the front straight away. As they flipped. The kid In the backmarker car came right out of the car. Landed on the track. After a few seconds. Got up and walked to the pits. Story was he hook his arm restraints the wrong way in the seat belts.

1/12/23, 6:03 PM   #39
ossuks

Shout out the total professionalism of the camera man last night.....I am assuming he intensionally came off the 1 car when he realized the severity of the situation...my guess it was Dean Mills...if so shout out to you from Bill Carey!!

1/12/23, 6:49 PM   #40
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
Shout out the total professionalism of the camera man last night.....I am assuming he intensionally came off the 1 car when he realized the severity of the situation...my guess it was Dean Mills...if so shout out to you from Bill Carey!!

I agree and think the whole broadcast team handled it with respect and concern. Even forgoing chatter and bragging after the race was over. Victory lane, couple other interviews with second and third and done.

5 members like this post: Blitzman, BrentTFunk, erich45, Grocery Guy, reeserx
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Chili Bowl so far.