IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mansfield (OH) $100,000 to win Sprints. April 27-28 2018.
8/10/17, 9:38 AM   #21
Longtime sprinter

Thank you for that insight on the low to mid range budget teams. Makes total sense. So with that in mind, why doesn't a promoter put together a show for NW that pays the big bucks, but spreads it all the way back to the tow money? Would bring more cars= more fans.

8/10/17, 4:56 PM   #22
Re: Mansfield (OH) $100,000 to win Sprints. April 27-28 201
GTigers55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team96 View Post
Speaking for myself as a team owner of a lower budget non wing sprint car team from SW Ohio and only myself.

We will absolutely go to and support bigger paying shows. But there are other criteria that have to be met as well.

What is the pay for outside of winning? How well is the show going to pay on back to 20th or even for tow $$?

Most non wing local races only pay $100 tow $. That does not cover the cost of loading up and driving to just about any track, let alone the pit passes to get in for the driver and 2 crew members. Put on top of that all the costs associated with running a car and you lose $ to go run any show that you do not make the feature.

Add to that the fact that my $18,000 800 HP motor will likely not compete against the bigger teams $35,000 to $50,000 900+ HP motors at a track the size of Mansfield or an Eldora. So, yes we would think hard about going to any big $ race at a big track that does not pay more than average $ beyond the top 5 or for tow money.

Winged racers will typically get more $ for tow $ and for placing in the top 20. So it is logical that you will get more cars at a winged show.

We are racing this weekend at Mansfield in all 3 non winged shows. Heck we might even throw on a wing and at least put the car on the track to collect the tow $ for the winged races.

But anyone expecting non winged budget racers to jump all over a big $ to win show that doesn't pay much more than the average local show to place or simply tow their car to the track far far away is probably kidding themselves. Racing takes $ and the more of it you have to put into racing the better equipment and more races you can get. For now, we will go to a local $1,500 to win show that pays $250 to start over a big $ show that includes a hotel stay and only pays the same to start. It just doesn't make sense to do otherwise for us.

It's one of the reason's we like the BOSS series. They take care of their loyal drivers and make sure it's worth it to haul the car other places than the local track.
Just a heads up since you mentioned it, Mansfield is only running on Friday and Saturday. They cancelled the Sunday race. Just thought I'd let ya know so you don't show up to a vacant track or rent a hotel for too many nights.

8/10/17, 5:13 PM   #23
nonwing77

Pretty sure he's referring to the Make up feature also being ran Friday as the 3 nonwing races. But definitely a good reminder about the Sunday being taken off the schedule

1 member likes this post: Team96
8/11/17, 9:14 AM   #24
Augie

Also, this thing is less than 9 months away. they should have more details out by now?
Locking three cars in from a Great Lakes Sprints race a week after the announcement seems odd,
especially with 100 winged cars at the national's, a way to boost car count this weekend?

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/11/17, 3:51 PM   #25
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
Also, this thing is less than 9 months away. they should have more details out by now?
Locking three cars in from a Great Lakes Sprints race a week after the announcement seems odd,
especially with 100 winged cars at the national's, a way to boost car count this weekend?
Car count isn't going to be a problem. Over half the Ohio crew and posse aren't in Knoxville. It's also a way to guarantee three racers are guaranteed two decent pay days. This Sat and next spring.

It might be great if that's all you plan to run is WoO or All Stars or whatever. But these loyalty contracts suck. Racers should be allowed to run where and when they want. It's what I love about Larson, Bell Rico, Bacon, Thorson, Bayston etc. They show up and kick ass no matter where they are at..

4 members like this post: PIT CART, sprinter14, stealth43k, wallbanger II
8/12/17, 8:19 AM   #26
BrentTFunk

One thing I don't think people are considering when they say, I hope the Outlaws don't schedule against them. I would bet most of the contracts with tracks for next year have already been signed. You don't release a schedule in December, and start working on it at Thanksgiving.I also think the word boycott is too strong to describe teams that don't run Mansfield. If these teams get a sponsor and commit to run all the Outlaw races, they have to do it. If they need the appearance money to make it, they have to do it. I hope it goes well.

2 members like this post: Augie, fish
8/12/17, 9:32 AM   #27
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

On my way

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, sprinter14
8/12/17, 11:57 AM   #28
Augie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
It might be great if that's all you plan to run is WoO or All Stars or whatever. But these loyalty contracts suck. Racers should be allowed to run where and when they want. It's what I love about Larson, Bell Rico, Bacon, Thorson, Bayston etc. They show up and kick ass no matter where they are at..
Good point, to make it a sanctioned race it very costly, our fair board tried to get the WOO and I believe it was $55,000? That money has to come out of our pocket, and then they want to run their usual format, about the only format exception is The Kings Royal, and Knoxville Nationals.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
8/12/17, 12:50 PM   #29
duel

pushing off towards Mansfield

1 member likes this post: sprinter14
8/12/17, 6:11 PM   #30

38 BOSS
39 305's wings
63 410's wings

140 sprint cars at Mansfield!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mansfield (OH) $100,000 to win Sprints. April 27-28 2018.