IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington Speedway Judgement Call
8/18/12, 12:35 AM   #1
Bloomington Speedway Judgement Call
riskybrisky5

Going into tonight’s race at Bloomington Speedway we were 6 points out of the lead to Brady Short. We blew our motor in the heat race which basically took our shot at the championship since only one race remains on Sept. 14th. But Scott Rounk and Parker Price Miller were gracious enough to let Chase climb in their car (9P) for the B main. Because of the driver change, Chase had to start last in the B main. With just a few laps remaining Chase was battling for the last transfer spot. On the white flag lap, the 15K missed the bottom and was trying to get back down when Chase made contact. Because of this, Chase was black flagged for rough driving. In my opinion this was not rough driving but just a racing incident. It really bothers me that we have supported Bloomington Speedway all season and they take us out of the championship hunt with a judgment call. Chase has not been a rough driver his whole career. Yes he has made mistakes but would never intentionally take a car out. Our sponsor, Pat Kehoe, passed away in late July. We so wanted to win this Bloomington championship in his honor. Earlier in the night I made a comment about last week’s track conditions. I guess I should have never voiced my opinion because it came back to bite me. I have not posted on IOW because I said I wouldn’t but I feel this needs to be brought to light. I have vented enough but they really need to get their act together or they will have very few cars supporting them every week. Video is below.

8/18/12, 1:09 AM   #2
KDM

You did not talk to us at the track but, I still have a two hour ride home, pm for my number and ill be happy to talk things over with you.

Keaton Dobbs 15k

Posted via Mobile Device

8/18/12, 1:21 AM   #3
Re: Bloomington Speedway Judgement Call
Jerry Shaw

Watching it at full speed sitting in turn one, I didn't disagree with the call. Watching the replay, it doesn't really change my mind on the call. It was close and when contact is made and a competitor fighting for the last transfer spot is taken out, they have to make their best call and they have to make it based on what they saw at full speed. Where you are in the points at the time, should have nothing to do with it. So, at the very least, it was a judgment call made on something that was a close call. By no means was it just a clear-cut bad call, IMO.

And you know this isn't coming from someone who is biased against Chase or you, Kevin. It's coming from some who is biased towards you. That's just how I saw it.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 8/18/12 at 1:23 AM.

2 members like this post: Al Pierce, fish
8/18/12, 1:26 AM   #4
Chase Briscoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM View Post
You did not talk to us at the track but, I still have a two hour ride home, pm for my number and ill be happy to talk things over with you.

Keaton Dobbs 15k

Posted via Mobile Device
Keaton, we are not mad at you guys at all. I have raced with you numerous times and never have had a problem, and plan to continue to race you wheel to wheel like we have before. That was just two guys racing for a final transfer spot on the last lap. We both knew that we had to hit the bottom and in my opinion that was just a "racing deal" that is why we are aggrivated that it was considered rough driving.

Chase Briscoe

8/18/12, 1:30 AM   #5
rclaridge

if the WoO blacked flagged someone every time something like that happened Swindell would never finish a race!!

8/18/12, 1:47 AM   #6
bfranks17

There is a powerline or something in the way right when the incident happens that sort of blocks the view....but.....doesnt look like chase takes a hard right. It also looks like he is fighting for real estate that is free for the taking considering the prior laps...it wasnt a violent spin by any means which kinda says to me it was a "racing deal". Nothing intentional. But i wasnt there to see it clearly either...my question is, what would all of these racers and promoters have done in the old days?

Posted via Mobile Device

8/18/12, 3:28 AM   #7
tim brown

I was there last night and didn't think the call was right. After watching the VIDEO I know the call was not right That was just good hard sprint car racing for the last transfer spot!!!!

8/18/12, 6:47 AM   #8
Hurryinhoosier

IMO it was two drivers looking for the same spot. Chase did not do it intentional and it looks like a racing deal. The points implications are huge and that is a shame.

8/18/12, 6:53 AM   #9
raceready6

Wow, seems old school racing, hard charging, last lap just doesn't work in racing anymore. Watched video, seen it happen plenty of times no matter what kind of car, chase and other guy were fighting for position. Maybe if the tracks just say at drivers meetings ok guys, line up behind each other stay in line, no passing. fans will love it! Lol. C'mon really? Don't let it discourage ya chase and really nice of team competitor to let you get in their car to get championship. Just know you still did what you could!

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
8/18/12, 9:42 AM   #10
cmiracingvids

I love the comment about WoO and Swindell! That's so true! I've seen Levi Jones hit guys like this every lap in a USAC heat or feature. He's never been blacked flag. Obviously, I can see how Dobbs is going to be upset. (if it were me, I would be). But, it's racing. There's no turn signals, brake lights, or radios with spotters. I don't think Chase should have been black flagged though. He obviously tried to check up but made contact anyway. I wouldn't let this discourage either driver. Just suck it up and try again next week. As for points...well, that happens. At least chase was given an opportunity to run the B thanks to another driver. That kind of sportsmanship is what racing is all about. Good luck to both in the future!

Posted via Mobile Device

5 members like this post: cmakin, dirtfan98, fasterthanu, Pat O'Connor Fan, sprintgal
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington Speedway Judgement Call