IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Car Racing to Change at Perris Auto Speedway
4/1/20, 11:47 AM   #1
Sprint Car Racing to Change at Perris Auto Speedway
Scott Daloisio

Perris Auto Speedway
18700 Lake Perris Drive
Perris, CA 92571
(951) 940-0134
http://perrisautospeedway.com/

For further information, contact Scott Daloisio (909) 226-7768 or mailto:perrisautospeedway1@gmail.com

For Immediate Release

SPRINT CAR RACING TO CHANGE AT PERRIS AUTO SPEEDWAY

(Perris, CA, April 1, 2020) Spurned on by the wild popularity of the Double Decker Class during “Nights of Destruction” at Perris Auto Speedway, longtime promoter Don Kazarian has announced some cost cutting measures for sprint car racing that will increase both car and spectator counts when racing resumes at the famous Riverside County half-mile clay oval.

Before the start of the 2019 season, Kazarian introduced the Double Deckers for “Night of Destruction.” The concept features one full size streetcar secured to the top of another full-sized car. The driver in the car on the bottom controls the throttle and the brakes and the driver in the car on top controls the steering. There is no communication system between the two. The crowds went wild and love them. So, Kazarian has announced that when sprint car racing returns, The PAS will be the first track in the nation running Double Decker Sprint Cars.

“I have had extra time on my hands the past few weeks,” Kazarian said on Tuesday afternoon. “I have been thinking on what we could do to cut the cost of sprint car racing and in the same breath make it more exciting for the fans. Therefore, beginning at our next scheduled open wheel race, all Sprint Cars will be Double Deckers. Just like the Stock Car version, the Sprint Cars will feature the driver on the bottom controlling the throttle and brakes and the driver on top will steer.”

The bottom of the frame rails of the sprint car on top must be bolted in four places to the top of the cage of the car underneath. In addition, there must be three stabilizers between the two. Two of the stabilizers will run from the car on top to the down tubes of the bottom car. The third stabilizer must connect the rear portion of the frame of the top car to the top of the bumper of the car on the bottom.

“When teams combine it is going to be a huge cost savings for them,” Kazarian said. “The tire bills will be cut in half and the wear and tear on only using one engine for two cars will be another significant savings. Car owners will love this. It will also save for the track as we will only have to pay half the purse.”

“This should bring in some extra fans,” Kazarian continued. “Some people like traditional wingless sprint cars. Others like winged cars. Wingless sprint cars have always been our tradition here. Our regular fans love them. For fans who like wings, now we will have something on top for them, too. Also, with the fans in mind, we are going to run the cars in a clockwise direction. For years fans have said they miss the old days when drivers did not have arm guards on the right side of the car and they could see them working in the cockpits. By going clockwise, both cars will have their open cockpit side facing the crowd. They will be able to see two drivers working so it will be twice as good as it used to be.”

One person who is excited about the possibilities is 2007 USAC/CRA Sprint Car Series champion and now race director Tony Jones. Jones has been out of the cockpit for over a decade but feels that this new concept may lure him back.

“I have got to give it to Don Kazarian, he thinks of everything,” Jones enthused. “I have always been itching to get back in a car and this may be the way to wind up the racing portion of my career. Back in the day I won some races and I also tore up some equipment along the way. With this exciting new concept, if equipment were to get torn up, I would only get half of the blame.”

“I have gained a few pounds, well, I have gained quite a few pounds since I last raced,” Jones laughed. “That may make it hard for me to be in the top car. The extra weight would affect the balance of the car and make it more likely to turnover in the corner. Then again, I hear Rickie Gaunt may want in on this and if I am teamed up with him, I will obviously have to be in the top car.”

The fact of a Double Decker sprint car flipping has also prompted Kazarian to think of a safety issue regarding the driver in the car on top.

“I was a little concerned with a car flipping and the safety of the driver on top,” Kazarian stated. “I contacted the Acme Aeronautics Company and they have come up with an ejection system much like you see in jet fighters. How cool could that be for the fans to see a driver eject himself when trouble happens and then float safely to the infield?”

“We are really looking forward to seeing these new cars in action once we get going again,” Kazarian said. He then added with a wink and a smile. “We hope everyone has a Happy April Fool’s Day.”

To keep up with all the latest Perris Auto Speedway news, photos, gossip and receive special offers, please use the following links:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Perri...8686480?ref=hl

Twitter: Perris Auto Speedway on Twitter.

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/perrisautospeedway/

Perris Auto Speedway is conveniently located on the SoCal Fair and Event Center (home of October’s Southern California Fair), approximately one-hour east of Los Angeles and one-hour North of San Diego. To get to the track, take the 215 freeway, on the Ramona Expressway and go three miles east to the fairgrounds. For directions on MapQuest, the address to enter is: 18700 Lake Perris Drive and the zip code is 92571.

Perris Auto Speedway wants to thank its corporate partners for the 2019 season. Ahern Equipment Rentals, All Coast Construction, Battery Systems, Budweiser, Bud’s Tire Pro, Chris’ Hauling, City of Perris, Communication Innovations, Daytona Boat & RV Storage, Ed Moore Bullet Proof Driveshaft, Flowdynamics, HD Industries, Hoosier Tires, Inland Rigging, Living Water’s Hospice, LKQ Pick Your Part, Luke’s Transmission, Pepsi-Cola, Pole Position, PrintItNow.com, Rainbow Bolt & Supply, Rugged Radios, Shaver Specialties, Square H, Sunoco Race Fuels, Trench Shoring, Upland Rock, Varner Construction and Vista Paint.

Video and DVD productions of all racing sprint cars events at Perris Auto Speedway are available from Loudpedal Productions. For more information on these productions you can contact them by calling (805) 844-3854, E-mailing mailto:trtruex@gmail.com or you can visit the website LoudPedal Productions.

DVD’s of all the PASSCAR/IMCA racing and Nights of Destruction at The PAS are available from Fourvideos. For more information call (714) 225-9500.

racesatthepas@aol.com is the only authorized Internet address to issue official media news released from The Perris Auto Speedway or Oval Entertainment.

4/1/20, 1:07 PM   #2
Re: Sprint Car Racing to Change at Perris Auto Speedway
sw1911

too much time on your hands, happy April 1

2 members like this post: ronmil, spicoli
4/1/20, 1:18 PM   #3
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 22

April fools, was an interesting read tho

1 member likes this post: ronmil
4/1/20, 1:25 PM   #4
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

I always look forward to your April 1 posts. Great job!!!

4 members like this post: billw, davidm, mc/rider, ronmil
4/1/20, 1:38 PM   #5
Jonr

Great job. Our traditions must continue.

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, ronmil
4/1/20, 3:51 PM   #6
jonboat15

I didn't read to far into the post before I felt my leg being pulled, I know what day it is. Fun stuff thanks for the chuckle.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprint Car Racing to Change at Perris Auto Speedway