IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > KT Jr The Announcer
6/20/21, 7:53 PM   #11
Re: KT Jr The Announcer
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I deleted what I originally said. But left alone, I gotta mute it. He should describe and compliment the action. Not make it up or try to be it. Like his interviews and stories. But without a co anchor. Can't listen. Even called Bacon Windom at Williams Grove for three laps before getting it right. I don't like to speak ill will. He tries. Sometimes way too hard....
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/20/21 at 7:54 PM.

4 members like this post: erich45, Hubie48, Kansasdirtfan, luckybuc97
6/20/21, 8:04 PM   #12
Kansasdirtfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I deleted what I originally said. But left alone, I gotta mute it. He should describe and compliment the action. Not make it up or try to be it. Like his interviews and stories. But without a co anchor. Can't listen. Even called Bacon Windom at Williams Grove for three laps before getting it right. I don't like to speak ill will. He tries. Sometimes way too hard....
I know everyone has their own opinion about what makes a good track announcer, and I admit there’s an art to it. Tony needs to remember that we’re watching exactly what he’s watching, so it isn’t necessary to describe every action, much less try to explain it. That’s where the driver-commentator can help, like KTJ did the other night.

6/20/21, 11:28 PM   #13
Longtime sprinter

Totally agree about Laporta. He distracts you from enjoying the race, and is too loud. Everyone should email Flo and voice your opinion.

4 members like this post: erich45, Hubie48, jonboat15, tirespinner
6/21/21, 1:25 AM   #14
skids59

Here's the sad thing about making mistakes when announcing races. I talked to a Korean war veteran at Lincoln, POWRi midget race, that has attended 2951 midget races in his life, won't mention his name, who said he will not attend another USAC show because of the announcer. Kinda tough, but when you try and keep detailed records of every event you attend and he has, it seems it could be frustrating. Especially when your 80 something years old. I wish no ill will against Mr. Laporta and hope he can be a success, but I sure miss Klepper.

6 members like this post: erich45, Hubie48, jim goerge, Kansasdirtfan, luckybuc97, racenut69
6/21/21, 2:27 AM   #15
Slider20

Bring back Chet Christner. The new guy has never been around racing before. I’m trying to give him a chance but it just doesn’t seem to be the right fit. Give him a chance though, he is obviously trying to learn more and connect the dots. Maybe it will come together.

2 members like this post: Kansasdirtfan, tirespinner
6/21/21, 10:28 AM   #16
Hubie48

Tony Laporta is obviously a study of the early version of ESPN's Chris Berman. The sensationalization of syllables expressed as if he were constipated is actually old hat. I also find the need for everyone to have a nickname totally unnecessary as well.

Take this is constructive criticism Mr. Laporta. There are hardly no "casual" USAC open wheel fans, rather a devout group of fans who could give a rip about other forms of racing. Your stay behind the mic could very well be short.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
6/21/21, 10:33 AM   #17
cl124

I've stayed away from commenting on this for a while as it has been well discussed but I totally agree there needs to be some change. The current announcer has became so loud and annoying that my wife (who used to watch races on flo with me) now requests that its either muted or not on at all. Feel like we are watching a WWE match every time its on and not a race. It is rather pathetic that I find myself enjoying the local track announcers during the support classes far better than the USAC announcer.

6/21/21, 10:42 AM   #18
Hubie48

I feel your pain brother!

Maybe pass around a petition at the next race or start an online version. Send it to Flo.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
6/21/21, 10:45 AM   #19
Charles Nungester

Race Count Last Year: 14

Chet Christner is truly one of a kind. One of the best at putting subtle cleaver descriptions into a play by play. "A little slip of the grip by Bacon allows Thorson to get by"

He also knows about all the cars and driver in all classes competing, doesn't matter where or what it is. I catch him doing LM's or a street stock race now and then, but I think he's behind the scenes at a lot of the broadcast.

I myself get confused with the midgets. Probably ten cars with similar paint and numbers and we only see em once live per year unless your a big traveler

6/21/21, 10:52 AM   #20
Grocery Guy

Not to compare Flo to NASCAR Infinity Series broadcasts, but something similar. I agree....KT Jr was interesting and offered a different perspective. He offered opinions that were unique from a drivers standpoint. The past few seasons Fox added drivers to their Sat Exfinity broadcasts as "color guys" and it was a different perspective. The drivers call's were enthusiastic and informational.

It would be nice in the future if FLO would experiment adding more drivers as color guys. Fans would enjoy their opinions.

4 members like this post: Hubie48, jim goerge, Kansasdirtfan, rick42
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > KT Jr The Announcer