IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It's Our Christmas Eve, Race Fans!!
7/7/11, 3:11 PM   #1
It's Our Christmas Eve, Race Fans!!
Jerry Shaw

Each year, there’s one storyline coming into Indiana Sprint Week to add some extra fuel to the fire that already is the country’s best Sprint Week/ Speed Week type of series. This year, the overriding theme is that this has been the year of the first-time winners and drivers who have noticeably stepped their game up.

Brett Burdette has won three times already, this year. Not only has he been fast, but he appears to be driving with a lot of confidence, right now. Fast, smart and aggressive seems to be this guy’s mantra.

Coleman Gulick is right on the precipice of becoming a star. Not only does he have a ton of ability, but he also seems to possess the killer instinct to go for it, when he sees daylight. And he’s a little like Bryan Clauson, in that he’s aggressive, yet patient at the same time. That’s the commodity of champions, IMO.

Keith Bloom, Jr. won for the first time this past week, but has been knocking on the door, all year long. I’ve liked the fight in this kid’s game, ever since that night, last year, when they rolled in to Bloomington Speedway, after having driven all the way across the country, towing their little hauler behind them. He’s been showing up, ready to rumble with the big teams, from day one.

Blake Fitzpatrick has already tasted stardom, so he’s not under anyone’s radar. High-profile wins at places like Kokomo and Haubstadt prove that on a good night, he can beat anyone, anywhere. And he can do it riding the cushion, diving for the infield tires or a combination of both.

Braylon Fitzpatrick looks to have the most potential of any driver his age, since Clauson took the sport by storm, six or seven years ago. He’s fearless, fast and has displayed driving ability that is way past his age level. Luckily for the ISW fields, he’s only 15 years old, so they won’t have to deal with this guy yet.

Someone who is really under most people’s radar is Seth Parker. He led every lap but the last one, in the IOW race, early this year @ LPS. Only to lose to Dave Darland. And has been tough, week in and week out. Mark my words, some day this kids day is going to come. Which begs the question: What the hell are they putting in the water, over there in West Terre Haute, anyway? Nitrous, maybe?

Chase Stockon's always had more ability, than he has money. He's won three times this year, twice taking a sure win away from another driver, on the last corner of the last lap. I don't know how many of these he going to run, but if he's within striking distance at the end, keep an eye on him, because he's going to take a shot at it.

Jordan Kinser won for the first time, at Bloomington, last Friday. One win doesn’t make a career, but it was such an impressive win. Holding off the driver that has dominated USAC races and regular weekly shows on the red banks (among other places) on many occasions, over the last several years. With some young drivers, this kind of win just flips a switch, the light comes on and they’re a different driver, from that day on. Could this be one of those cases?

When you add these rising stars to what you already have, when the USAC Thunder and lightning division rolls into town, I think were on the eve of another great Indiana Sprint Week. You have Levi Jones, going for his unprecedented FIFTH USAC National Sprint title. Multiple-time National Driver of the Year and future Hall-of-Famer, Jon Stanbrough. Reigning National Driver’s Champion Bryan Clauson. USAC Triple Crown winners Dave Darland and Jerry Coons, Jr. Tracy Hines, who is near the top of the list in all-time USAC National wins. Chris Windom and Brady Short, who are probably the two hottest sprint drivers in the country, coming into this series. Exciting California natives Damion Gardner and Robert Ballou, who have both been at or near the top of the wins list, nationally, multiple times. Hunter Schuerenberg, with the ability to beat any of these guys, driving for a revamped team. And multiple-time USAC feature winners Shane Cottle and Daron Clayton, with new teams and a good chance of putting themselves back at the top of this impressive field of drivers. Plus, the West Coast's top dog, Mike Spencer, towing out this way with what is perennially the CRA's fastest car, the Chaffin #50. And Matt Mitchell hooking up with Cactus Jack, to make their run. The list goes on and on. It’s going to be great!! It can’t miss. It never does.

First and foremost, I would like for it to be a safe Sprint Week. Nobody gets hurt.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 7/8/11 at 1:02 AM.

7/7/11, 3:18 PM   #2
Re: It's Our Christmas Eve, Race Fans!!
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Well written and good read.

Seth was walking the field at the early june MSCS race at haubstadt before getting crossed up and losing a couple spots. Just like Blake, Lightning fast but mistake prone and thats a learning thing. Sooner or later the switch will flip and when it does, WATCH OUT!

I seem to remember it was sprint week last year that Blake and even JJ Hughes broke out into front running status.

Be safe, have fun. I know I will.

1 member likes this post: Jerry Shaw
7/7/11, 4:20 PM   #3
Gregg

Nice read, Jerry. I still think of it as our Hanukkah because we have eight nights of racing...well almost eight.

2 members like this post: Danny Burton, Jerry Shaw
7/7/11, 4:29 PM   #4
dirtfan24

Race Count Last Year: 52

As always Jerry very well said. You defeintiely know how to write these things that your post are must read. If we could find out what is in the water in West Terre Haue and we could bottle it my life would change for sure. I could be involved in this spoprt everyday and not just on the weekends. Man what a life that would be.

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Sorry for the typo! sport

7/7/11, 11:53 PM   #5
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Great article Jerry!

Can I say Merry Sprint Week... :2:

7/8/11, 3:08 AM   #6
9racing

and one other one.. unless i missed it in the article.. watch out for the Throttle in the walker car!! you know he will be on the loud pedal and a car with endless possibilities to drive!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > It's Our Christmas Eve, Race Fans!!