IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best race you seen in 2013
12/30/13, 4:06 PM   #1
Best race you seen in 2013
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Whats the best race you seen in 2013?

I seen lots of good racing in 2013 but IMHO one sticks out and it wasn't sprint cars.

1. Merrill Downey Memorial on 9/14 as I watched Barber and Kramer run side by side for well over 25 laps, swapping the lead from time to time but every lap it was who came off the corner best. Barber ran a low to mid track line and Kramer was on the Cush and on the final lap. Joey Kramer took home the $4,444 winners share and a chunk of the lap money

2. 5/4 Burg. A rain just before feature time made the track on the Cushion and after hard work by the crew racing resumed. For 20 laps KT Jr. dominated and a lap 21 yellow bunched the field with two lappers between himself and CJ. Leary. In one of the most determined and fearless drives i've ever seen Leary went in 50ft deeper on every corner. passed the lappers and was on KT in the back straight of the last lap and did a monster Bomb Slider that was big enough to hold on to the flag stand. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

3. Sprintacular at Eldora, All classes, was just a increadible night of racing with Haud taking the Winged 410 in a photo finish. Bulldog Swindell taking the winged 360 in a clear show of determination and speed and after running four wide for about the first ten laps. Bacon came out on top in the NW 410.

Really only seen one non contested green to checker leader and that was at Atomic but nobody else was racing and it was a good night out anyway.

Enjoyed another great year at many different tracks, Most of the Burg ones with my Pops and thats just PRICELESS!

What were your favorite moments?

12/30/13, 4:47 PM   #2
hoosier race fan

UMP Summer Nationals at Vermilion County was probably the best I attended. The modified heat with Nick Allen and Ryan Thomas racing side by side for the win from green to checkered was outstanding. The late model feature was excellent, and probably the best race of the tour. The World Of Outlaws at Kokomo was pretty awesome also.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, FishBurger, Hotshoe65s
12/30/13, 4:57 PM   #3
Re: Best race you seen in 2013
cmiracingvids

I wasn't there but saw the video. Tony Stewart and Bill Balog battle with Stewart winning. IRA sprint cars at Sheboygan County Fairpark in Plymouth, WI.

3 members like this post: FishBurger, Stealth87, Tim Watson
12/30/13, 5:00 PM   #4
racenut69

JASON LEFFLER MEMORIAL at Wayne City!...Enough said...

12/30/13, 5:08 PM   #5
grinch

Best race I saw in 2013 was the Friday nite race at the Sandusky Speedway Hy-Miler......It involved the 2 Supermodifieds of DJ Shullick and Mike Litcky......I watched DJ drive to the outside of the 84 car of Litcky and the 2 ran wheel to wheel ,never giving up as much as a inch for the next 4-5 laps....side by side in the turns ......side by side down the straights.......these were the two fastest cars.....it was a race among a race............

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, FishBurger
12/30/13, 5:14 PM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

2013 was another good year for racing with a lot of quality races for all of us to witness. Here are the top five that we saw this year.

1)65th running of the Little 500 @ Anderson Speedway. Jacob Wilson in the family owned ride tops pole sitter Jo Jo Helberg, 9 time winner Eric Gordon (in his last Little 500 ride) and Tony Elliott with all four of them on the lead lap. A real classic race with a lot of quality cars and drivers throughout the field. Wilson drove like a veteran with the 3 big guns breathing down his neck and trying to run him down at the end. A big pay week for Jacob as he won the 60 lap prelude on Wednesday night as well.

2)Illinois Midget Week-Started off at Jacksonville were Kyle Larson topped the 49 car field to gain the victory. The following night Lincoln Speedway had 47 midgets with Michael Pickens showing the way to the stripe. Not to be outdone, 55 midgets filled the pits at Macon Speeday and Andrew Felker came out on top with so many slide jobs I lost count. A PowrI gem that I am already looking forward to again this year.

3)AMA @ Indy Mile-The two wheelers put on their normal quality show during the Indiana State Fair. Howerton Motorsports from Indianapolis provided the Kawasaki that propelled "Flyin" Bryan Smith to the lead and the checkers. A lot of racing throughout the pack with 4,5 & even 6 wide at times for the feature. Crazy to say the least. It was announced later in the year that Howerton Motorsports was closing up shop unfortunately.

4)ISMA Hy-Miler @ Sandusky Speedway-The ground pounding, fire breathing supers of the ISMA came to Sandusky for the annual Hy-Miler. Dave Shullick Jr set fast time and was in the lead on lap 85 when Mother Nature intervined and brought the nights activities to a close 15 laps from the end. The victory was especially sweet for the young Mr. Shullick who drove legendary car builder Jim Bodnar's ride to victory lane decades after his dad Dave Shullick Sr also drove a Bodnar creation to victory in the Hy-Miler. The Friday night show had Mike Lichty & Shullick Jr running side by side, lap after lap as they tried to find the lead. Lichty prevailed in a classic battle.

5)Jack Hewitt Classic @ Waynesfield Speedway-A happy Dallas Hewitt brought his 2m sprinter home in first after a spirited battle with Chad Boespflug and Matt Westfall who brought their rides home in 2nd & 3rd respectively. Jack was all smiles as he presented the trophy in victory lane to the younger Hewitt for a great drive at the racy Waynesfield speed plant.

Looking forward to more of the same in 2014. Happy New Year.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Last edited by Mud Packer; 12/30/13 at 5:18 PM.

5 members like this post: Charles Nungester, FishBurger, jim goerge, racing2bwithu2, wbr
12/30/13, 5:29 PM   #7
Dirtracer98

The battle between Kevin Swindell and Kyle Larson at the Chili Bowl was epic! Looking forward to round two in a couple of weeks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 members like this post: billwill7, FishBurger, Kansasdirtfan, SpfldMile
12/30/13, 5:46 PM   #8
dirt330

Indy500 hands down.

6 members like this post: addictedtodirt, cmiracingvids, FishBurger, ossuks, ronmil, wright59
12/30/13, 6:09 PM   #9
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Ill. Midget week at Macon . Then rest of Ill. midget week .

12/30/13, 6:22 PM   #10
johnnythunderhead
Banned

every race at the burg except for the sprint speed week show, which for some reason was pretty tame/ and yep that sprintacular show at the E was pretty special too!
Last edited by johnnythunderhead; 12/30/13 at 6:23 PM.

2 members like this post: Charles Nungester, FishBurger
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Best race you seen in 2013