IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Richard Petty Remarks
10/2/20, 3:09 PM   #1
Richard Petty Remarks
SoIllSprinter

Quote from Petty in Autoweek, “I guess I’m looking at it from an old-time deal because we spent years and years and years trying to become a professional sport. Years and years to get away from that stigma (that racing wasn’t professional). But dirt-track racing is not professional, so we’re going backward.”
Thoughts?

10/2/20, 4:02 PM   #2
staggerman

This is America, can’t he have an opinion.

5 members like this post: billw, Hubie, nathans1012, PIT CART, SOROKACH35FAN
10/2/20, 4:03 PM   #3
Re: Richard Petty Remarks
sw1911

Someone needs to tell him that in the golden years of USAC/Indpls they raced on dirt.

5 members like this post: Bostonian, dirt330, dirtball, PIT CART, treecitytornado
10/2/20, 4:40 PM   #4
Blackduce

In the middle 60's I remember RP racing a NASCAR dirt track in Hillbourgh, NC. He looked awful happy running up front. And having the most fun was
Wendall Scott. And many racing teams giving him parts to keep his car running. And he never ask for any thing. Today dollars ruined this sport.
Last edited by Blackduce; 10/3/20 at 9:49 PM.

4 members like this post: chris jockish, DAD, Hustlin-Hoosier, Pat O'Connor Fan
10/2/20, 6:46 PM   #5
Tumey's 55

That kind of makes his point, the golden years of USAC were 1/2 century ago. I see his point though, NASCAR was always considered a red neck, hill jack deal. They have tried to overcome that. I think he is wrong about racing in dirt but I understand why he said it.

2 members like this post: Hubie, Speedwrench
10/2/20, 7:05 PM   #6
badcoupe

I think I’d consider dirt professional, look at the woo USAC Lucas oil sprints and late models. It’s as much a professional business as can be.

2 members like this post: dirtball, Ken Bonnema
10/2/20, 8:40 PM   #7
Re: Richard Petty Remarks
Rapid Rick

Many would agree with Petty that NASCAR is moving backward. Same thing every week. The move to dirt is a result of what any organization would do under the circumstances. Just give us something different to help us stay awake.

10/2/20, 9:10 PM   #8
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I believe you are speaking of Wendell Scott.

10/2/20, 9:27 PM   #9
treecitytornado

NASCAR'S Downfall is getting political!!! It's NOT from making plans to race Cup Cars, on DIRT at Bristol!! Hopefully WoO Sprints will return, too!! 😉😀

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, PIT CART
10/2/20, 11:32 PM   #10
JarrettFarms73

Honestly i’m not surprised. I’ve always felt like the Nascar upper crust has looked down their noses at all other racing series, especially dirt short track racing. Anyone remember Robin Miller’s story about DW talking down Bryan Clauson’s talents? It took Mario speaking out to shut DW’s mouth.

Contrast all that with Doug Boles love for short track racing and you’ll see why i’ve not spent a dime on anything Nascar related in about 10 years.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Richard Petty Remarks