IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #1 1/21/12 1:55 AM
From the USAC website

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

TRI-CITY SPRINT DATE MOVED TO AUGUST 31

The USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Car date originally tentatively set for September 7 at Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach, Ill. has been moved one week to August 31 due to scheduling conflicts.

The date change sets up a back-to-back weekend of racing at Tri-City and the Terre Haute (Ind.) Action Track, which has the USAC AMSOIL Sprint Cars scheduled on September 1. The September 7 date will continue to be reserved for a possible event at another venue.

The 3/8-mile dirt Tri-City oval, which has hosted the USAC Gold Crown Midget Nationals since 2008, is no stranger to USAC Sprint Car racing. A total of 20 races have been held there since 1967, with Greg Weld and Ralph Liguori winning in 1967 and Weld again in 1968. Subsequent races have been won by Rick Hood (1984), Randy Standridge (1985), Kelly Kinser (1988), Steve Butler (1989), Sammy Swindell and Jack Hewitt (1990), Doug Wolfgang (3), Danny Smith (2) and Hewitt (1991), Tony Stewart (1995), Jay Drake (2000), Troy Rutherford (2003), Drake again in 2005 and most recently Josh Wise in 2006
4 Likes: AustinSprinter, Jimmydiesel, Pat O'Connor Fan
dirtnonwingfan (Offline)
  #2 1/21/12 2:17 AM
That was looking like a great Granite City/West Memphis weekend. Sure hope they get someplace to replace it so we can have two good weekend doubles in a row.

Frank Daigh
2 Likes: AustinSprinter
F5 Racer (Offline)
  #3 1/21/12 2:18 AM
I55 Raceway needs a USAC date!

Posted via Mobile Device
11 Likes: AustinSprinter, frenchfry, ISF, Jack Dupp, Pat O'Connor Fan, Pine, PJ Wright, SDHill89, Seadog, sw1911
mortboyz
  #4 1/21/12 2:34 AM
With all due respect Frank, I'm looking forward to returning to West Memphis also, but I'm liking the Granite City/Terre Haute weekend a little better.
I'm thinkin' that haul to Arkansas after a night at Tri-City could be rough
But I'd still like to see more Midget shows at the Gundakers place.
6 Likes: AustinSprinter, dirtnonwingfan, mowerman, Pat O'Connor Fan, racefan20, ronmil
cowboyhar69 (Offline)
  #5 1/21/12 3:13 AM
Originally Posted by mortboyz:
With all due respect Frank, I'm looking forward to returning to West Memphis also, but I'm liking the Granite City/Terre Haute weekend a little better.
I'm thinkin' that haul to Arkansas after a night at Tri-City could be rough
But I'd still like to see more Midget shows at the Gundakers place.

Don't forget Sunday the 2nd....fair food and the Silver Crown Cars at Duquoin!!!

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
5 Likes: AustinSprinter, ISF, PJ Wright, Seadog
ISF (Offline)
  #6 1/21/12 10:58 AM
What is the drive time from The Du Quoin State Fairgrounds to Tri-City Speedway over at Pontoon Beach? What would be the best route?

We figure on camping at the Fairgrounds in Du Quoin for race weekend there and might seriously consider driving over to the USAC Sprint show at Tri-City.

Silver Crown Championship Dirt Cars properly driven on a one mile dirt track are classic poetry in motion. Using that analogy, Jack Hewitt is one of the greatest poets of all time.
mortboyz
  #7 1/21/12 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by ISF:
What is the drive time from The Du Quoin State Fairgrounds to Tri-City Speedway over at Pontoon Beach? What would be the best route?

We figure on camping at the Fairgrounds in Du Quoin for race weekend there and might seriously consider driving over to the USAC Sprint show at Tri-City.
A number of ways to get there.
If you prefer interstate, take I-57 north to I-64 west to I-255 north to I-270 west to Illinois 203 south to track......probably about 1.5 hour drive from DuQuoin.
SpfldMile (Offline)
  #8 1/21/12 12:51 PM
Looking forward to this show. Tri-City never dissappoints me. Did anyone else go to the race in 2003 when Troy Rutherford won? He absolutely came out of nowhere and passed a couple cars for the lead with 2 laps to go. I think it might have been the same night as the Bettenhausen that year. Any open wheel race at this track is worth a look.

For those about to rock, we salute you.
miledirt (Offline)
  #9 1/21/12 1:12 PM
Originally Posted by SpfldMile:
Looking forward to this show. Tri-City never dissappoints me. Did anyone else go to the race in 2003 when Troy Rutherford won? He absolutely came out of nowhere and passed a couple cars for the lead with 2 laps to go. I think it might have been the same night as the Bettenhausen that year. Any open wheel race at this track is worth a look.
Hey Sfield your memory is amazing, I'm having a hard time remembering what I had for breakfast with you at the Blue Dome in Tulsa in last week?! Here you are remembering race stats from almost 9 years ago!
SpfldMile (Offline)
  #10 1/21/12 4:36 PM
Now if only I could remember where I left my keys. By the way, that omelette you were eating looked delicious.

For those about to rock, we salute you.