IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
mlight9 (Offline)
  #1 7/21/09 2:47 PM
Am looking for info & pix(hopefully) on a sprint car owned ? by a Darrell Woodbury/ W/B Welding of union City, Oh. I spoke to his son Gary who said a Don Pratt drove the car & also poss. driven by Bobby Marvin ?? He thinks father later traded car to a Gene Petro of Dayton or Columbus, Oh. Poss. traded for late model or modified ??

My interest is that B. Marvin drove car acquired from Walt Stearly (Penna) after Thomson fatal. Duke Cook gave me info to contact either a Sham's Wrecking or Woodbury Wr. I did & here I am.

Info request #2; info or pix on Clyde Gutzxweiler's # 63 from '66. Can this car be the same one as shown on page 107, USAC Sprint Hist. ??? Any & all info greatly appreciated,
mlight9.
spade (Offline)
  #2 7/21/09 3:17 PM
I was in the military at the time the sprint car would have been active although I never knew Darrel Woodbury owned a Sprint Car. The super modifieds that Woodbury built were driven by Dick Pratt who had a brother named Bob Pratt. Bob drove a sprint car frequently and I never knew Dick to drive a sprinter although he could have. A side note; Darrel Woodbury's father cast and machined in and out boxes and quick change conversions for Ford banjo and truck rear ends. Gene Beasecker had one of the Woodbury cars driven by Audie Swartz as I recall and Chick Hale had one as well. If he is still with us, Dick Pratt moved to Florida in the 60"s I believe. As Super Duke told you, Darrel's son still has a welding shop in Union City. A fellow by the name of Dick DeBolt (if he is still with us) lived in Union City and would probably have some answers for you. Sorry this is not the info you are looking for but maybe a contact might lead somewhere. DAVE
HurstBros0 (Offline)
  #3 7/21/09 7:33 PM
Ask Broc Burton (zeroracer) to ask his grandpa. Pappy knows those Petro boys very well .

Dan Hurst
Hurst Brothers Racing
SprintManDave (Offline)
  #4 7/21/09 10:04 PM
Could that be the Gene Petro that was from Columbus,Indiana and drove stock cars?
mlight9 (Offline)
  #5 7/21/09 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by spade:
I was in the military at the time the sprint car would have been active although I never knew Darrel Woodbury owned a Sprint Car. The super modifieds that Woodbury built were driven by Dick Pratt who had a brother named Bob Pratt. Bob drove a sprint car frequently and I never knew Dick to drive a sprinter although he could have. A side note; Darrel Woodbury's father cast and machined in and out boxes and quick change conversions for Ford banjo and truck rear ends. Gene Beasecker had one of the Woodbury cars driven by Audie Swartz as I recall and Chick Hale had one as well. If he is still with us, Dick Pratt moved to Florida in the 60"s I believe. As Super Duke told you, Darrel's son still has a welding shop in Union City. A fellow by the name of Dick DeBolt (if he is still with us) lived in Union City and would probably have some answers for you. Sorry this is not the info you are looking for but maybe a contact might lead somewhere. DAVE
Spade, HurstbrosO, Sprintmandave, thank you all for the info. Could you steer me to Phone #'s, E-mail addr, etc. as to contacting each.
mlight9.
ShaneMugavin57 (Offline)
  #6 7/22/09 1:41 AM
Dick Debolt passed away here recently. I could not understand from your earlier post if you talked to Sham Kiser from Union city. He should be able to hook you up with anyone you need in Union City. He should not be hard to find they also owned a recycling place and am not sure if they still do. Gene Petro was most certainly the one from Columbus and much of there family still race around Brownstown and North Vernon in the mods and stock cars.
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #7 7/22/09 8:11 AM
Originally Posted by mlight9:
am looking for info & pix(hopefully) on a sprint car owned ? By a darrell woodbury/ w/b welding of union city, oh. I spoke to his son gary who said a don pratt drove the car & also poss. Driven by bobby marvin ?? He thinks father later traded car to a gene petro of dayton or columbus, oh. Poss. Traded for late model or modified ??

My interest is that b. Marvin drove car acquired from walt stearly (penna) after thomson fatal. Duke cook gave me info to contact either a sham's wrecking or woodbury wr. I did & here i am.

Info request #2; info or pix on clyde gutzxweiler's # 63 from '66. Can this car be the same one as shown on page 107, usac sprint hist. ??? Any & all info greatly appreciated,
mlight9.
the car that woodbury had was sam traylor's red 2! I seen the car when they first got it home! Dick pratt drove it! The put a gage on it and a chevy in it!
SteveE (Offline)
  #8 7/22/09 8:13 AM
I believe the car went to a Dave Hodson out of Richmond, Ind., from there I don't know. Brent Whited maybe could shed some light on this. If I remember right this was Dave's first car.
mlight9 (Offline)
  #9 7/23/09 12:02 AM
Shane, thank you very much for your response. Sorry to hear about Mr. Debolt. Yes, I spoke Sham & he then referred me to Woodbury's, Darrell's son Gary. He said he would send me some pix but none to date.
mlight9.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE:
the car that woodbury had was sam traylor's red 2! I seen the car when they first got it home! Dick pratt drove it! The put a gage on it and a chevy in it!
SUPERDUKE, that is very good news. Who would have some pix of the car to post here?? Thanks much for the info.
mlight9.

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

SteveE, thanks much for info. How do I contact either D. Hodson or Brent Whited or where??
mlight9.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE:
SUPERDUKE, who did Woodbury get the car from ??
mlight9.
SteveE (Offline)
  #10 7/23/09 12:32 AM
Dave Hodson is dead, Brent Whited lives in Richmond, Indiana. I believe his son posts on here once in awhile.