IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
mlight9 (Offline)
  #1 6/9/09 12:31 AM
I would like to see pix of a sprint car supposedly owned by Bobby Marvin. There is a pic of the car on the "Retro Rocket " site, tho not of very good quality. The car appears to be light colored, # 76 with the # in a sunburst on the tail. I have info daying that he purchased the car from Walt Stearly (Penna), possibly 1961 ?????? L. Neumeyer drove car late in 1960. Also, on site " Vintage Racer " , Jim Nise album, there is a pic of Marvin in the car which appears similar to the pic in " Retro Rocket " site. Also, a crewman has B & J on his shirt in pic. Any info or pix would be appreciated, Thank You,
mlight9 ( Reading, Pa.)
psullivan
  #2 6/9/09 7:48 AM
Tony Martin has put together a neat little book called Echoes of Thunder in the Hills on So Ohio/West Virginia racing in the 1960's - I picked it up at Knoxville during Hall of Fame Weekend. He has 2 pictures of the car I think you are describing (clearly #76 with starburst) - one says in the caption that Marvin spins the Nullis brothers 6 cyl roadster during 1960 International 150 at Portsmouth - there are 2 shots of the spin - it noted that he won the event in 1961 but from the picture that came in a different car.
mlight9 (Offline)
  #3 6/9/09 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by psullivan:
Tony Martin has put together a neat little book called Echoes of Thunder in the Hills on So Ohio/West Virginia racing in the 1960's - I picked it up at Knoxville during Hall of Fame Weekend. He has 2 pictures of the car I think you are describing (clearly #76 with starburst) - one says in the caption that Marvin spins the Nullis brothers 6 cyl roadster during 1960 International 150 at Portsmouth - there are 2 shots of the spin - it noted that he won the event in 1961 but from the picture that came in a different car.
PSullivan, Thanks for reply. I already have pic of him in the Null Bros roadster.
mlight9.
psullivan
  #4 6/9/09 12:31 PM
The 1961 winning car shot is also in Tony's book - when I get home I will send you the details - the caption says who wrenched that car - the Nullis car (as identified in the picture) had a almost fin like tail section with the #76 on it. This entire book is from Tony's photo collection so he might have what you are looking for.
mlight9 (Offline)
  #5 6/11/09 11:05 PM
Psullivan, thanks for the info. I was advised there is a PM for me but I cannot get it. I need to have a friend check into for me. Just wanted to let you know.
mlight9.
psullivan
  #6 6/12/09 7:32 AM
Here was what I sent you -

I mentioned the other picture in Tony's book - it is a victory lane shot from the 1961 Portsmouth Invitational - I can't read the number - the sponsor is __________ (can't read) Balancing service and the caption says it was wrenched by Bud Wacholz
snoopy (Offline)
  #7 6/12/09 7:45 AM
I believe that Null's had a bigger car (full roadster) and the smaller one that Tom York drove. The car in question ( I believe) was a very narrow car possibly a parrellel bar car that Dick Pratt drove for Woodbury Welding. The finned #76 may have been Gordon Dukes. I've seen that in a book somewhere, possibly a book primarily about Ohio racing.
SUPERDUKE (Offline)
  #8 6/12/09 9:48 AM
Originally Posted by snoopy:
i believe that null's had a bigger car (full roadster) and the smaller one that tom york drove. The car in question ( i believe) was a very narrow car possibly a parrellel bar car that dick pratt drove for woodbury welding. The finned #76 may have been gordon dukes. I've seen that in a book somewhere, possibly a book primarily about ohio racing.
woodburys car was the former sam traylor offy! What happen to that car?
Speedwrench (Offline)
  #9 6/12/09 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by SUPERDUKE:
woodburys car was the former sam traylor offy! What happen to that car?
I saw something in a magazine a long time ago that said that Leffler ended up with the car, modernized it, and it was run in USAC. It was later purchased and restored. I don't know who currently has it.
mlight9 (Offline)
  #10 6/15/09 10:26 PM
Superduke, would you know of anyone or anywhere there might be a pic of the Woodbury car ??
mlight9.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Speedwrench, is there an expert on Leffler history that could verify or dispute the info of his possibly owning the car ???
mlight9.