IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington USAC/MSCS Updates
4/18/15, 12:47 AM   #31
Re: Bloomington USAC/MSCS Updates
KingRandomUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARFprez View Post
How did the new class look tonight?
Despite only 10 Wing cars showing up, there is a lot of potential for the 305 series in my opinion. There's still a huge need for track time as everyone fought with their cars all night long. Handling and adjustments will obviously be learned with time. Same with some of the rookies and newbies to sprints or higher-horse-powered cars. Once they can get a feel for things, there'll be a lot more closer competition and perhaps even interest as things move along.

On a side note, Tusing and Fleetwood put on a heck of a show in their heat race. And Luke Bland (yes, the defending Hornet Track Champion) showed he wasn't scared of his new ride either.
At the moment it's easy to tell who has experience in a sprint car period. (And easy to tell with some of the names) But I think with time there is still room for this series to grow.
It'll also greatly help if a track like Lincoln Park will consider running them too someday. With at least 2 local tracks to run at, it'll justify the series a bit more much like many other series have 2-3 tracks they can run at every weekend. Also once a weekly-to-run cost is more widely known it could also help draw more cars later in the year or into next year.

Ryan did say in Victory Lane that the cars are fun to drive and do handle way different than a 410-NW. And that he had to forget everything he learned driving sprints and start over to even get a better handle on these things. Not a word-for-word quote, but that's the gist of his opinion.

I do expect car counts to stay low for most of the year, but i think it'll still be interesting to see these drivers get better with seat-time. Also, thinking back to when Bloomington started the Hornet class, the first year they only drew in maybe a dozen cars a night. But as the year went on and then into the following two seasons, they were drawing 30-40 of them every week. No, the Racesavers won't grow that big that fast, but with support I can see around 12-16 by end of season and 20-22 of them running in the 2016 Season. And again, if another track joins in on running them there could be a small boost to those numbers. Who knows, anything is possible. Let's see how things go in the next few weeks.

4 members like this post: davidm, HARFprez, ryan84, sprint17jr
4/18/15, 12:56 AM   #32
Rpracing1

They had a guy from Knoxville Tn I think I heard. Seems like a long way to travel to run that car?? Or was I hearing things.

2 members like this post: bmemmer, jim goerge
4/18/15, 12:58 AM   #33
KingRandomUser

I think he's from Knoxville, IA actually BUT he works for the Tennessee Vols Marching Band as their Director.

1 member likes this post: bmemmer
4/18/15, 2:14 AM   #34
Steve in NOColorado

That's funny right there. Who would of thought a marching band director in a sprint car?

3 members like this post: bmemmer, DirtHawk92, Eatin Dirt
4/18/15, 2:15 AM   #35
KingRandomUser

Thought the same thing when I heard it. Very odd connection there, but then again look where he's from.

4/18/15, 6:46 AM   #36
Hurryinhoosier

The racing was good all night. The wing cars show lots of potential and I for one hope it takes off to offer some alternative to the racers that are looking for a chance to do it.

I think I was most impressed by Luke Bland for it being his first actual "race" in the car. He stormed off like a veteran but it was his handling his mistakes like that veteran that was most impressive.

1 member likes this post: cleatziff
4/18/15, 8:37 AM   #37
Jerry Shaw

One quality that's always stood out with Bryan Clauson is his ability to be so aggressive, yet be so patient at the same time. IMO, it's one of the things that's made him a great driver and not merely just another really good one. Tonight was another example of that. He just hung out and bided his time for the first ten laps or so and then when it was "time", just went right through the top 5 and drove away as easily as he was driving down the street to pick up a loaf of bread. He made it look that easy. It's not surprising that he looked that good at this track, as this is where he cut his racing teeth at. Bloomington regulars all remember a 15 year old kid showing up every week and being the strongest challenger to the resident force of nature, known as Kevin Briscoe. Jon Stanbrough put in quite an effort last night, too. It was more of a "grind it out" kind of effort, wrestling positions away from tough drivers until he had put himself in the runnerup spot. And as he was doing that, at the end of the race, he was fending off race "Hard Charger" Chase Stockon, who had came from mid pack and damn near stole second away from Jon on several occasions. It was a great night on the hill, looking at the red clay. The feature was very good and included at least three very impressive drives, from three of the best out there.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 4/18/15 at 2:02 PM.

4/18/15, 9:52 AM   #38
Rpracing1

March Band pretty cool...✔️

4/18/15, 11:21 AM   #39
cmiracingvids

Glad to see Stanbrough finish 2nd. In his post race interview he eluded to how difficult it is to balance owning your own car, business and the everyday challenges of life and still put forth an effort worthy of calling it your own, or your best. I have a ton of respect for Jon and I'm really becoming a huge fan, and it was really good to see him do well last night. He drove the wheels off in his heat race and did the same in the feature. Clauson was clearly the best though. Best of luck to Jon and the rest of the drivers tonight at TSS.

Oh! And the track was just about perfect. Great job to Bloomingtons track prep crew. Just a little soft spot in turn 3 that unfortunately bit Bland and Clayton enough to end their nights.
I actually enjoyed the 305s. They looked fast and it's a nice treat to see non wing AND winged on the same track.
Last edited by cmiracingvids; 4/18/15 at 11:25 AM.

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, DirtHawk92, Hurryinhoosier
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington USAC/MSCS Updates