IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > R.I.P Jesse "The Rocket" Hockett
5/26/10, 7:18 PM   #11
Re: R.I.P Jesse "The Rocket" Hockett
motsingerracing44

wow i can not belive it jesse hockett was one of the coolest and funest drivers to watch i really looked up to him and hoped that my driving could one day be as good as his i will deffinatly keep the hocket family in my prayers we lost a very good individusal R.I.P rocket

5/26/10, 7:19 PM   #12
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.
Posted via Mobile Device

5/26/10, 7:19 PM   #13
stock car mech

He was a throwback to a different time when people travelled and worked constantly to be able to race. He was parked next to us at eldora and I kidded him about the race being too close to home. When they cancelled the show I remember him telling his guys to dismount the tires they bought because they would need the money for where they were headed next.
When you think about a real racer, Jesse Hockett's face will pop up in your mind forever.

5/26/10, 7:19 PM   #14
BillyG

terrible news..thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends

5/26/10, 7:20 PM   #15
7rmodmom

So sad...thoughts and prayers to his family...God Speed Jesse

5/26/10, 7:21 PM   #16
agar

Race Count Last Year: 14

OH My GOD

5/26/10, 7:22 PM   #17
Hubie

Wow, I really hope this is not true

5/26/10, 7:24 PM   #18
Kinser5K

Never thought i would be reading that we have lost "The Rocket" Jesse Hocket on IOW....Jesse inspired many and will be greatly missed.
Gods speed Jesse

5/26/10, 7:25 PM   #19
USAC Fan

Total and utter shock.

I had just talked to him Monday night about Terre Haute and congratulate him on his 3 for 3 weekend.

5/26/10, 7:26 PM   #20
Jerry Shaw

This is a tremendous loss. I still remember the story D.O. told a couple of years ago after a race @ Terre Haute. One where a kid was on the other side of the fence, while they were pitted in the infield, watching Jesse and he had a football his hand. Then Jesse stopped what he was doing a started playing catch with the kid. And how it was obvious that this just made the kid's day, big time. And I'll never forget the war that went on between he and Robert Ballou, at the first Don Smith Classic. It was a classic. And the interview afterwards with he and Robert was also a classic. One (Robert) was victorious and thrilled and the other one (Jesse) was heartbroken, because he had just given his all and came up just a little bit short. But the overriding theme of this interview was that these guys were buddies, whether they had just duked it out for 15 rounds or not. It was one of the best displays of sportsmanship I can ever remember. And when I went to see the TNT series last year, I was witness to more of the same. No matter what the track, before the race and afterwards, people just flocked to Jesse's hauler. The fans just loved The Rocket and he loved them. The young man just had an extra star quality about him and everybody knew it. And who can forget his photo finish win, over Dave Darland last year, at Oskaloosa and the Flyin' Donut that he gave to the fans, in celebration? He was an original. He was a throwback driver. One that could have fit in with Dick Gaines, Steve Kinser, Rick Ferkel, Bobby Kinser, Chuck Amati, Butch Wilkerson, etc. Anybody from any era. He was our greatest current true outlaw sprint car driver and losing him is going to take a big chunk out of this sport we all love. This is such a hurtful loss.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 5/26/10 at 9:43 PM.

4 members like this post: Amatiforever, billwill7, buck2, jim goerge
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > R.I.P Jesse "The Rocket" Hockett