IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many, best and worst race
11/3/18, 12:54 PM   #21
Re: How many, best and worst race
revjimk

I actually keep a notebook of this or I would never remember! Only 16 for me... 9 winged & 9 "traditional" or midgets (Eastern Storm at Susky & Port Royal had both wings & USAC)
Best was either the entire Chili Bowl extravanganza (my first), or Midget Week at Montpelier (Mr. Funk insisted on sitting right on Turn 4, but he sat on the bottom & I sat up top... dodging baseball size dirt clods & howling with laughter under the full moon, Larson won)
Worst? Probably Pa. Speedweek at Williams Grove, Trey Starks won a snoozefest.... only race where I actually wrote "boring" in my notes
I avoided boring upstate NY modified tracks this year, even tho they're the closest
Giving serious thought to another Chili Bowl in 2019...

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, openwheelfan1, oppweld
11/5/18, 9:04 AM   #22
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by revjimk View Post
I actually keep a notebook of this or I would never remember! Only 16 for me... 9 winged & 9 "traditional" or midgets (Eastern Storm at Susky & Port Royal had both wings & USAC)
Best was either the entire Chili Bowl extravanganza (my first), or Midget Week at Montpelier (Mr. Funk insisted on sitting right on Turn 4, but he sat on the bottom & I sat up top... dodging baseball size dirt clods & howling with laughter under the full moon, Larson won)
Worst? Probably Pa. Speedweek at Williams Grove, Trey Starks won a snoozefest.... only race where I actually wrote "boring" in my notes
I avoided boring upstate NY modified tracks this year, even tho they're the closest
Giving serious thought to another Chili Bowl in 2019...
revjimk, I don't know if you've had the chance to take in a wingless Super Sportsman race yet, but I'm betting you'd enjoy it.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, oppweld
11/5/18, 1:24 PM   #23
Daisy's dad

Assuming no rainouts for the remaining CA and AZ races that I plan on hitting, I will have seen 24 races this year. ISW is always the highlight of the year for me, and was thrilled that all 7 of those races got in this year, in spite of some weather challenges.

I can't say I've seen a "bad" race this year, but have seen a few "badly run" ones. The Western World at Arizona Speedway this past weekend was all great racing, but the program ran well past 11:00 P.M. both nights, in spite of having just 2 classes of cars, and very few actual race-related delays. I saw many attendees leaving the parking lot before the 410 sprints ran their features, which may be people who will never be back.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, openwheelfan1
11/5/18, 3:12 PM   #24
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

I ended the year with 43 races. The best is hard to nail down because of different types of racing. Best non-wing stuff was the 4-Crown with Silver Crown being best in show. Event that just pops out that was a lot of fun for me and had great racing was Ohio Sprint Speedweek at Eldora that Larson won, beating Dave Blaney in a duel late. Then I went to 3 incredible NASCAR Cup races (Both Bristol's and Fall Martinsville.) And the Roval race at Charlotte had an epic finish. Both Xfinity races at Bristol were very exciting. The Eldora truck race was a good one all the way through with an incredible finish. The North South 100 was wacky during parts as most of the big hitters found themselves at the back at one point. Just too many options to pick through, but those are probably the high lights of each car class.
And I honestly can't say that I went to a race this year that just plan sucked. But the leaders in the not good category have to be Kentucky Cup race and the WRP Ohio Sprint Speedweek race.

1 member likes this post: openwheelfan1
11/6/18, 11:02 AM   #25
billw

39 races. best races june 15th williams grove usac ... the wing show was great that night, lucas late models at portsmouth june 30, and after the smackdown rain out we stopped at wayne county on our way home and seen a damn good 410 wing race
the worst had to be either mansfield on july 1 for lucas lates... dodging rocks the size d cell batteries at the top of the grandstads was not fun or woo late models at georgetown,de dont think i seen a single pass all night
i was also impressed by the usac east coast races i seen.. cant wait to see what 2019 brings for that series

1 member likes this post: berks co
11/6/18, 12:18 PM   #26
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
revjimk, I don't know if you've had the chance to take in a wingless Super Sportsman race yet, but I'm betting you'd enjoy it.
Yep. I've seen them at Path Valley. Pretty good, but not as good as USAC 410s!
First time I saw them, I was shocked.... didn't realize there was a local wingless series in Pa. I thought "Super Sportsmen" might be some kind of fendered class

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How many, best and worst race