IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprints on Dirt (SOD) Sold
11/1/18, 10:25 AM   #1
Sprints on Dirt (SOD) Sold
MIracing

SoD has been sold to Dave Muzzillo. SoD has been based out of Michigan since 1980 with owner John Naida. It is an open engine winged series with spec tires. Muzzillo is the owner of Baer Field And also promotes a pavement mod and LM series I believe. It will be interesting to see what impact this has. Here is the initial article.

http://tjslideways.com/2018/10/31/so...dave-muzzillo/

11/1/18, 11:29 AM   #2
Re: Sprints on Dirt (SOD) Sold
Wizard 05

Race Count This Year: 28

Very sad day to see Sod sold and moved from it long time home. Hopefully it will stay alive and continue to bring great Winged racing to Michigan.

2 members like this post: MIracing, speed bump
11/1/18, 1:02 PM   #3
Stevensville Mike

I'll tip the cap to John Naida for his innovation in going to the unlimited cubic inch formula for the engines along with heading up the series the past few years (again). He did the series well.

It isn't the first time in recent years the series has changed hands. The Naida family.... Mike Strevel..... Mike Olrich..... Jason Fausey.... and so on. Everyone has their own ideas how to make it better. I hope the new owner can keep the ball rolling along, wish him well, and I am looking forward to 2019.

4 members like this post: duel, fish, MIracing, spicoli
11/1/18, 5:57 PM   #4
OnTheHammer

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 35

All I will say is .....RIP Sprints on Dirt

3 members like this post: duel, PIT CART, Wizard 05
11/1/18, 7:50 PM   #5
dirtracer74

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheHammer View Post
All I will say is .....RIP Sprints on Dirt
I kind of thought the same thing when Naida announced his changes, but they held their own. I get the open motor rules. I just did not like the no weight limit, and the tire rule. At least open the left rear up to couple sizes. Oh well, was not my deal.

But, I am not so sure about this new owner either. He has had a couple ventures that have not worked.

4 members like this post: fish, OnTheHammer, PIT CART, Wizard 05
11/2/18, 5:40 AM   #6
MIracing

Muzzillo also acquired the Plymouth 602 crate deal. The World Group or whoever started it has given up on it. He has purchased it and it will be a traveling series.

11/2/18, 10:35 AM   #7
OnTheHammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer74 View Post

But, I am not so sure about this new owner either. He has had a couple ventures that have not worked.
Spot on with that assessment. The guy is a train wreck.

1 member likes this post: Wizard 05
2/28/20, 11:38 AM   #8
OnTheHammer

Reference my post from 11/1/18
RIP - Sprints on Dirt
Last edited by OnTheHammer; 2/28/20 at 11:40 AM.

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
2/28/20, 3:10 PM   #9
fourteen fan

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sprints on Dirt confirms series direction in 2020;
Muzzillo no longer series leader
(Plymouth, IN) - Owner Ed Kennedy has confirmed the short-term future for the Sprints on Dirt series in 2020 by releasing the following statement:

“After much thought and consideration, the SOD series will not compete as a traveling series in 2020. Throughout the course of this year, we will work on a refresh of the strategy and direction of the series to develop towards a strong future. Specifically, we will work towards building a new leadership team and competition structure that better aligns the series towards long-term stability for our competitors, teams, tracks, partners, and fans that have supported the series throughout our 40+ year history. We will look to do this in collaboration with other series and organizations willing to work together for the collective good of the sport and all stakeholders. As part of this transition, we have parted ways with 2019 Series Director Dave Muzzillo and will immediately begin the search for a visionary leader that can develop and execute our plans for the future. Finally, we will sanction one race at the end of the 2020 season where we will reveal the revised strategy and direction for the SOD series in 2021 and beyond.”

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Sprints on Dirt (SOD) Sold