IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Smackdown Thoughts
8/31/15, 12:33 AM   #1
Kokomo Smackdown Thoughts
sprintcarmemes

Sitting at home reliving this weekends event at Indiana's baddest bullring. This event is growing to be one of the most prestigious and biggest event for non wing racing all year. The winningest driver in USAC and Kokomo history continues his dominance here at the smackdown and picked up his third title. But it wasn't given to him he had to work for it. Elizabethtown Indiana's own Chase Stockon had a very solid weekend with his worst finish being fourth. Then we had the dark horse of the event, Kyle Cummins. This young man has had a very rough season all year and finally turned it around this weekend. He really was under the radar and if you asked me how I thought he would do I woulda told you he would be a solid top 12 car. I did not expect him to run so well here. He picked up his first ProSource fast time qualifier and picked up a fourth, tenth, and a third through the smackdown. I'm glad to see him and Stockon show up and represent the southern boys who don't get to run Kokomo much. Very very impressive by both drivers. A lot of hard crashes occurred throughout the weekend. Many many torn up cars and parts. I'm just glad to see everybody walk away from them. The extracurricular activities before and after the races were really entertaining. The band after Friday was excellent really enjoyed them and hope to see them back next year. The Kick It foundation kickball game is always a fun time for a great cause. It's great to see so much money raised for it. Also can't forget about the Frolic every night. It's a great great time. I'm also glad to see Robert Bell get some recognition as he won best appearing car and team award from the frolic. And of course leave it to them to come up 5¢ short of 500 lol. Overall this is a great weekend. Really puts up a good fight with sprint week as being one of my favorite weeks of the year. Can't wait to come back next year. Thanks O'conners and USAC for such an amazing event

8/31/15, 3:46 AM   #2
PIT CART

The Friday band was really good.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, budsauto25, jim goerge, racegal, tirespinner
8/31/15, 10:48 AM   #3
Re: Kokomo Smackdown Thoughts
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT CART View Post
The Friday band was really good.
The Flying Toasters!!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, PIT CART
8/31/15, 1:04 PM   #4
glittleton

Chase was second-first second in the Smackdown - maybe 4th in the Sprint Week Race Wednesday? Chase is so smooth - being and old-timer Chase and Robert Ballou remind me of Pat O'Connor and Larry Crockett from our area - Pat was Mr Smooth and Crockett was the Bulldog - fun to watch.

8/31/15, 2:10 PM   #5
Jerry Spencer

Chase is just as awesome off the track as he is on it, kid is one of the good guys in my book

Jerry #66j
stida.com / Halfmoon Resturant & Brewery / Colescotts Mobil - 1

8/31/15, 4:46 PM   #6
BrentTFunk

I thought the whole weekend was great. Thank you to everyone involved, the O Connors, USAC, all the drivers and teams. The competition was intense, and was a VERY stout field of cars. You guys are right, the Flying Toasters were very good. Waiting for next year.

8/31/15, 5:04 PM   #7
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Im still wearing my wrist band

8/31/15, 5:13 PM   #8
robert gatten

Best event of the year for me. Larry "crash" Crockett was my 1st HERO. A real hard charger. I have told my grandson about him and thanks for the thoughts of those days you just brought back. Went to the Half Moon for the first time, thinking I would check out the hype. No hype here folks !! One of the best bbq places I have been to and the place was packed with race shirts. Think they benefit from sponsoring a sprint car for sure ! great three days, can't wait until next year.

8/31/15, 6:15 PM   #9
JarrettFarms73

I stopped Friday at Half moon around 3pm for my ribs lunch. Bartender was talking (in a good way) about how they'd been even busier than normal since Thursdays lunch with all the people in for the race.

8/31/15, 6:28 PM   #10
jim goerge

Man what a great 4 days!!! : Not sure where to even begin, The races were some of the best I have ever seen so close and intense , wasn't real sure where to look at times. After Darland got the lead I knew he was gone, so enjoyed the battle with the young guns Stockon and Cummin;s, plus watching Short and Ballou come though the field WOW. Also got to met a lot of new people , at last met Racegal, I miss Manzy, Jerry and Josh and Sara Spencer even their dog (OMG is he huge), Don Short. Also got to hang out with the Lawrenceburg group great people good food cold beer, Bert and Bonnie Kearns (god I love them) took me to supper after races each night , listening to their stories and jokes kinda capped off the nights. The last night was blessed with getting to hang with Mrs. G and her cousin Toby (really a great guy ) walked the pits with them getting a IOW shirt signed by almost all the drivers for Bill"s gold scramble. Oh yeah Friday got to work with Mrs. Jon Stanbrough at their tent, what a great boss (had cold beer too) while she got things ready for the auction. What a great job her and Jon do for Kick It! Thanks to everyone who donated !!!! Thanks Kokomo Speedway USAC and everyone there .

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Smackdown Thoughts