IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Ember Link
8/5/11, 3:52 PM   #1
RIP Ember Link
Amzie

Sorry if this is a dupe but I didn't see it posted before. Just saw it in the paper when I went to visit my parents in Corydon yesterday.

Ember used to race sprints and he is the father of Troy Link.

http://www.corydondemocrat.com/Obitu...er-O-Link.html

Ember O. Link

Died: Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ember Orin Link, 90, Palmyra, died Thursday, July 28, 2011.

Born July 31, 1920, near Palmyra, he was the son of the late Jesse H. and Irma L. Link.

He founded Ember Link Trucking and retired Sept. 20, 2010; served in World War II; operated a coal yard; drove midgets, stock cars and sprint cars from the 1940s to 1985; and participated in his son's career to the present day.

Besides his parents, he was preceded in death by his stepmother, Ethel Link; his stepfather, Alvie Mull; three siblings Aubrey R., Paul S. and Virginia Link; and his wife, the former Marjorie Eloise Buerckley.

Survivors include a sister, Rose Mary Hoten of Fredericksburg; a brother, John D. Link of Sellersburg; two stepbrothers, Cleo and Wenzil Mull, both of New Albany; two children, Troy Dwayne Link of Palmyra and Lynita Jean Churchill of Depauw; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Visitation: Saturday, July 30, from 4 to 8 p.m. and Sunday, July 31, from 2 to 4 p.m. at Love Funeral Home in Palmyra.

Funeral: Sunday, July 31, at 4 p.m. at the funeral home with burial in Horner's Chapel Cemetery.

Officiant: Toney McCutcheon.

Pallbearers: Troy Link, Josh and Jessica Ollis and Carl, John and Jacob Churchill.

The family suggests memorial gifts to the American Heart Association or to Mercy Providence in New Albany.

5 members like this post: Downey44, Gregg, rdzsprint, ronmil, SprintManDave
8/5/11, 4:33 PM   #2
Re: RIP Ember Link
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

Ember , may you rest in peace.

8/5/11, 4:42 PM   #3
treecitytornado

R.I.P. Ember. God Bless Troy and the rest of the Link Family.
Posted via Mobile Device

8/5/11, 4:48 PM   #4
Knoke77

R.I.P Ember. Had many good conversations with you and Troy.

8/5/11, 4:50 PM   #5
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I was about to ask if anyone seen Troy this year and it occured to me that things might be going south with Ember. It was a family thing and there was nothing Ember liked more than being at the track.

Ember I considered a friend even though I didn't know him well. We chatted dozens of times. His famous quote to me was. "I never got upside down once in a sprinter" But I rolled a few jalopys in my time.

Ember was the same age as My Grandmother and it amazed me he still drug himself out of bed and drove a dump truck 6 days a week up till he was 90. He tell me about his arthritis and how it almost had him crippled up untill he found Grape Juice and Copper wire. *IT HELPS*

I'll miss this guy immenssly even though I haven't seen him for a year. I grew up watching him run a CRA Style roadster, Watched him and his son race together for about ten -15 years and got to know Troy a bit as well.

R.I.P My friend!

8/5/11, 6:11 PM   #6
jim goerge

R.I.P. Ember

8/5/11, 7:17 PM   #7
SprintManDave

R.I.P. Ember,and thoughts and prayers to Troy and the Link family. He will be missed at the track.

8/5/11, 7:28 PM   #8
Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
I was about to ask if anyone seen Troy this year and it occured to me that things might be going south with Ember. It was a family thing and there was nothing Ember liked more than being at the track.

Ember I considered a friend even though I didn't know him well. We chatted dozens of times. His famous quote to me was. "I never got upside down once in a sprinter" But I rolled a few jalopys in my time.

Ember was the same age as My Grandmother and it amazed me he still drug himself out of bed and drove a dump truck 6 days a week up till he was 90. He tell me about his arthritis and how it almost had him crippled up untill he found Grape Juice and Copper wire. *IT HELPS*

I'll miss this guy immenssly even though I haven't seen him for a year. I grew up watching him run a CRA Style roadster, Watched him and his son race together for about ten -15 years and got to know Troy a bit as well.

R.I.P My friend!
I'm not sure the last few times Troy was at Lawrenceburg that Ember even saw as much as a heat race. He just loved to sit in the pit area near where Troy was working on his car. I hope Ember is taking a ride to Heaven in a 1955 Ford Sunliner. Rest in peace Ember.

My condolences to Troy and the Link family.

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
8/6/11, 12:56 PM   #9
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

R.I.P. Ember. I watched him race at TSS many years ago. Condolences to Troy and the rest of the Link family.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Ember Link