Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson to nascar
2/6/13, 10:37 AM   #1
Larson to nascar
luckybuc97

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 11

Staff

Kyle Larson, seen here in Chili Bowl victory lane after winning his preliminary race in January, will run the full NASCAR Nationwide Series schedule for Turner Scott Motorsports in 2013. (Frank Smith Photo)
CONCORD, N.C. – Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates confirmed today that Kyle Larson, the 2012 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East champion will contest the full NASCAR Nationwide Series schedule in 2013.

Larson, the 20-year-old driver from Elk Grove, Calif., will attempt to make his series debut behind the wheel of the No. 32 Clorox Chevy Camaro fielded by Turner Scott Motorsports during Daytona Speedweeks in the DRIVE4COPD 300 NNS race on Feb. 23.

“We are pleased we were able to get Kyle in a quality, full-time ride for the 2013 Nationwide season,” said Earnhardt Ganassi Racing team co-owner Chip Ganassi. “Turner Scott Motorsports runs a quality Truck and Nationwide program and Kyle is one of the true young talents in racing. We think it will be a good fit for both of them. We believe Kyle has a bright future ahead of him in NASCAR.”

The EGR development driver turned heads in NASCAR competition in 2012 when he won the NKNPSE Championship in his first year of driving stock cars. Larson, who is of Japanese-American descent, also claimed the first series championship for one of NASCAR’s Drive for Diversity Program drivers.

“Kyle has already proven in a very short amount of time that he is a very talented driver and we’re very excited to have him on board at Turner Scott Motorsports,” said Harry Scott, Turner Scott Motorsports co-owner. “He did a fantastic job in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series events he drove for us last season, so we are thrilled to be a part of the next step in his career and to see his talent develop while at the wheel of the No. 32 Chevrolet Camaro this season.”

Larson will have a big week in his Daytona Int’l Speedway debut. Before attempting to run in the Nationwide race Larson will first compete in the Daytona ARCA race and will also participate in the UNOH Battle at the Beach held on a temporary 0.4-mile short track on Daytona’s Backstretch, that will feature three non-points special events from the NASCAR K&N Pro Series, the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tours and the Late Model division of the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series.

“This is truly one of the happiest days of my life,” said Larson. “I have been thinking about something like this since my very first days of racing. I am very proud to be part of Chip Ganassi’s organization and to be running with Turner Scott Motorsports. Daytona cannot come fast enough for me.”

2/6/13, 11:52 AM   #2
Re: Larson to nascar
UberKuhlMan

Race Count This Year: 22
Race Count Last Year: 70

As much as I would rather see him on dirt for the entire year, I'm glad he's moving up. Guess I'll be watching a lot more NAPCAR this year.

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
2/6/13, 12:05 PM   #3
RGraves

Who knew? I hate it but happy for him. Unfortunately, I will probably end up watching a NASCAR race or two now

Posted via Mobile Device

2/6/13, 12:13 PM   #4
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Talent over money every now and then

2/6/13, 1:01 PM   #5
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Too bad no one at IndyCar was smart enough to see the talent they could have added to their series.

2/6/13, 1:21 PM   #6
wing410fan

Race Count This Year: 2

Good luck to kyle. I have never seen this kid races and it makes me wonder if i ever will. Hopefully he will bring some of that nascar money back to open wheel in the way of being a car owner in usac, outlaws or both.

2 members like this post: billwill7, dirt330
2/6/13, 1:26 PM   #7
dirt330

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Too bad no one at IndyCar was smart enough to see the talent they could have added to their series.
It was a honor for all of us to witness this young talent driving the dirt bullrings around the country. The rest of the country ( nascar fans ) has no idea how much rare talent this young man has, it was a great ride while it lasted watching him run non-wing sprints and midgets.I to only wish Indy Car was his future. Good luck Kyle we will be following your run to the top talent in any form of racing.

7 members like this post: billwill7, FHeinz15h, ISF, Jerry Shaw, luckybuc97, rataz, UberKuhlMan
2/6/13, 2:31 PM   #8
okie

Ganassi was

Posted via Mobile Device

2/6/13, 2:42 PM   #9
ISF

Good luck to this young man. I sincerely hope he isn't being moved along too quickly and he breaks every record in the books.

Like many here I've been enjoying races for a long time. Even so, I haven't asked for an autograph in 25 years or more but I got Kyle's while he and his car were on the front stretch at Perris prior to Turkey Night proceedings this past Thanksgiving. Told him this might be the last chance to do so and it looks like a pretty good chance that may be the case.

Regardless what transpires from this point on in his career it was a rare pleasure and privilege to witness this kid dominate on The Mile at Du Quoin and the masterpiece of smart driving in winning the Turkey Night Grand Prix.

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
2/6/13, 3:18 PM   #10
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
This is just more proof that the powers that be in IndyCar racing are incredibly stupid.

4 members like this post: FishBurger, racephoto1, TQ97, wisco95
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Larson to nascar