IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How come?
10/24/11, 10:11 PM   #1
How come?
DGMJR71

Why isn't there any economy sprint classes in Indiana or southern Ohio?

10/24/11, 11:03 PM   #2
Re: How come?
sprinter14

Southern Ohio is primarily stock car country. We tried starting a 305 class here about 10 years ago, but like any "limited" or economy class, rules became a problem.

10/25/11, 9:15 AM   #3
racerjim2

It wasn't for lack of trying. Sprinter14 put his heart and soul into it only to be slapped in the face.

10/25/11, 1:46 PM   #4
SamSr32

There is some thought into starting a RaceSaver Sprint class in the Indiana area. Check the French Grimes RaceSaver Series on their Web site at www.racesaver.com for basic information.

10/25/11, 5:11 PM   #5
Jrp4554

I've wondered that for years. You can build a decent roller pretty cheap it's that fancy piece in front of the fire wall that discourages most people.
Posted via Mobile Device

10/25/11, 6:40 PM   #6
McInturff Racing

I know I would love to see an economy sprint class in Ohio. Mini sprints are fun but I'm a bigger guy and a full sprint would be a better fit. Add into that the fact that the chassis is the same as a 360 or 410 it would be nice to have a car that could easily be upgraded to a higher class if finances allowed. My goal is to run a 360 some day and one more stepping stone between a mini and 360 would be nice.

1 member likes this post: Jrp4554
10/25/11, 8:13 PM   #7
TQ29m

The problem, as I see it, is not unlike every other "spec" class, policing the rules. It has been tried here a lot of times, but too many limits, increase the chance to go "outside" the box, and just cheat a "little". I've often thought a "stock" 355ci engine, could be had for a cost most folks could afford, but a lot of changes would be needed, tires and wheels would be a lot smaller, and I'm not sure a wet sump would be all that desirable, and of course, FI would be needed, and that brings along a lot of "baggage", but necessary, I'd say you could easily spend the best of 10k on a good engine, and who would want anything else, years ago, as I recall, at Bloomington, they indeed tried a low buck class, complete with stock engines, with carbs, and that was a real nightmare, if you did get it going fast enough, to bravely "throw" it into a turn, when you stepped on the "gas", you were so short of Hp, th damned thing turned "turtle" so quick, you couldn't believe it. I remember a bunch of guys, from Missouri, I think, coming to Dayton's Auction, and buying ever piece of junk they could find, I got brave and asked them what the hell they were doing with them, and they said, we put Pinto motors in them, and rent them out, now, that would be a "sight"! just sayin! Bob!

10/26/11, 12:29 AM   #8
DGMJR71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSr1 View Post
There is some thought into starting a RaceSaver Sprint class in the Indiana area. Check the French Grimes RaceSaver Series on their Web site at www.racesaver.com for basic information.
Do you have anymore info like who to contact to show interest?

10/26/11, 1:07 AM   #9
Joe Whisler

Something I don't see anyone mentioning, and to me is the real reason...

1. Where are you going to run them??? You can say any one of the random tracks you want, but if you don't say one of the current weekly sprint car tracks then I don't think you're aiming in the right direction.

2. What class are you going to replace? Without going on a research assigment, I am going to assume the purse would need to resemble something like a current U.M.P. Modified purse (maybe a super stock purse). Those classes are pretty well established in Indiana, and I can't imagine any of the weekly sprint car tracks wanting to rock that boat when those classes have relatively healthy back gate numbers with mid to lower level purses.

I would like to see something like that as much as anybody, but I just struggle to see it happening in Indiana. I always thought the northeast modified thing was neat looking in from the outside. I believe they had 3 classes with the lower 2 using the same chassis as the big block, but the lower 2 classes had smaller motors and tires. Like someone already said, you could move up using your same car with a different motor.

One last comment that a previous post made me think of. Rules: The more you have, the more problems you are creating.

These are just a couple of drive-by opinions of mine. If anyone disagrees, that's cool. I won't hold it against you. Just buy one of my t-shirts and we'll call it even!

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
10/26/11, 9:29 AM   #10
Jonr

Another problem is demand from the fans. Take the SST series base out of the DFW area. They are a 305 series that runs the RaceSaver rule packages in the greater DFW area. They were able to go to tracks that did not have any sprint car class. Thus, the fans were very appreciated of any sprint car class that would run at their track. There ware a demand for sprint car racing. The tracks could advertise that they were running sprint cars and more fans would show up to the track.

In Indidana, would there be any demand for an economy sprint car class? Would the fans want to see a 305 class right after they had watched a 410 show? I think that the fans would complain more than they would enjoy the class. Also, would an economy class bring any more fans to the track. Most of all of the sprint car fans in the area were probably already at the track.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How come?