IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racing returns to Magic Mile
9/1/14, 11:43 AM   #71
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Just got here and ready to watch another exciting race!

1 member likes this post: racegal
9/1/14, 2:24 PM   #72
Re: Racing returns to Magic Mile
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

The Ted Horn Memorial was one of the most enjoyable I've witnessed. First, the weather turned unexpectedly nice, humidity went down and there was a gentle breeze. There was a good field of cars, and the crowd was definitely larger than last year. The competition was extremely good, with several contenders throughout the evening. Looked like DD might get his first ever DuQuoin win, but that came to a dramatic end. Shane Cockrum was competitive right from the start, but it looked like he would have to settle for second after Chris Windom caught him, after starting last. Then came his dramatic exit. Finally, Jerry Coons Jr. blew a tire with two laps to go, allowing Levi Jones to apply pressure to Shane, but he held on for his initial victory in Silver Crown.
I believe the level of excitement displayed by the crowd portends a bright future for this event.

9/1/14, 5:07 PM   #73
ThePurple73

What impressed me about the finish was Levi Jones. Another lap or two and there would have been a different winner.

I lost track of the rules on lapped cars during yellows..sometimes they went to the back sometimes left in place.

Did Windom loose a tire or catch the cushion or both when he took the tumble?
Last edited by ThePurple73; 9/1/14 at 5:09 PM.

9/1/14, 9:11 PM   #74
The Fanthom

Race Count This Year: 1

I dont think Levi had much for him, but I guess we'll never know. Both ran a smart race. Looked to me like Windom just biked it in the cushion. Cockrum dodging the upside down 17 and the turn one wall was the move of the night. Seeing the SC cars under the lights was a sight. Pretty impressive lighting on the Duquoin mile. Place has improved a ton since I first went there in '90.

1 member likes this post: sprint38racer
9/1/14, 10:28 PM   #75
dirt in ur beer
Banned

Race Count This Year: 41
Race Count Last Year: 28

I was glad to see jones do well but, he didn't have anything for cockrum. Windoms crash was a snap hook into a bicycle with no chance to save it!

1 member likes this post: RoyaltonMiniSprint
9/1/14, 11:27 PM   #76
RoyaltonMiniSprint

Way to go Shane Cockrum you made all of us folks in Southern Illinois proud!! Every year I would go to the Ted Horn 100 hoping for a local winner it finally came true.

9/2/14, 6:53 AM   #77
miledirt

Interesting, I was talking in pits to a guy who had moved down in that So Il. area from Milwaukee a few years back. After the race he said something to the effect, "Oh my people have no idea what they've got down here." Admittedly, Sunday night's race was a special one to say the least, but if Andy and other leaders can keep that car count up in at least the mid 20's, the future looks good.

9/2/14, 10:46 AM   #78
wrtracing

Congratulation to Shane Cockrum and crew on your great victory under the lights on the Magic Mile. The hometown team did everything it needed to do to win and it was a great to see. I thought last years Ted Horn Memorial race was the best Silver Crown race I had seen in 25 years but this years race was even better. It didn't matter where you looked on the race track there was tremendous competition everywhere. I can't say enough of the track prep that Bob Seargent and crew did. What an awesome track for those guys to display their skills on. Andy Hillenburg definitely has things turned around. To the competitors who are nitpicking the officiating please remember that none of the competitors were given an advantage. Look up in the stands and in the pits and remember what you had and what you have now. My hat is off to Andy for putting on a great show for the fans. Things can always be tweaked and it looks to me like he is working on all aspects of the Silver Crown Series. If you haven't been to a Silver Crown race in a while you have no idea what you are missing.

2 members like this post: racing2bwithu2, Ray3
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Racing returns to Magic Mile