IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Twin Cities Closed until further notice.
4/20/16, 8:54 PM   #1
Twin Cities Closed until further notice.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

From their facebook page

Drivers and fans of Twin Cities Raceway Park - with a heavy heart I have to let you know that as of tonight the track is closed. We thank each of you for your support and patronage. In light of some safety and other concerns we feel we cannot operate at this time. While this was not an easy decision to make it is one we feel is absolutely necessary at this time. We wish each of you the best of luck going forward. This is all the information I have now, if more becomes available I will post it here. --Renee.

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
4/20/16, 9:08 PM   #2
throb

Sad deal. Twin Cities will always have a special place in my heart. It was the site of my first career sprint car race as a driver in 2003..

4/20/16, 11:02 PM   #3
addictedtodirt

This sucks.

2 members like this post: pushinthecushin, tirespinner
4/21/16, 8:30 AM   #4
Re: Twin Cities Closed until further notice.
Eatin Dirt

I love watching sprints at TC, and was looking forward to going there this summer several times. Hopefully they can get things worked out.

3 members like this post: pushinthecushin, scottyCbus, tirespinner
4/21/16, 1:41 PM   #5
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Haven't been there since they were a part of Indiana Sprint Week, but it is never good to see a track close. Even though the facility could stand some improving, the racing was always good.

4/22/16, 8:21 AM   #6
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

This was just posted on their Facebook Page:

Drivers and fans: I woke up to fantastic news in today's paper! It seems Tom is really on our side here and has a plan to get things back in order for us after the overwhelming response from our racing community. Thank you all SO MUCH for caring about this place. I'm overwhelmed at the responses and sorry I can't get back to everyone especially Matt Mills and Mike Bechelli who absolutely refused to accept that we could be done.
The situation seemed impossible to me the other day, and I just wasn't sure how much I could or should say about some things. I promise to keep to keep you up to date when there is stuff you can help with. This community is strong and wonderful. --Renee

4/22/16, 11:01 AM   #7
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

As Posted http://www.therepublic.com/view/loca...ose_1461294997

Fear not, local racing fans — reports of the demise of Twin Cities Raceway Park have been somewhat exaggerated.

A posting on the track’s Facebook page late Wednesday night announcing the track’s closing had an almost funereal feel to it, breaking the news “with a heavy heart.”

While that may have led some to believe that Twin Cities would be dormant for an extended period of time, if not permanently, track owner Tom Wetherald said that is not the case.

A couple of small-scale safety fixes — including repairs to some track maintenance equipment that was vandalized over the winter as well as a section of bleachers — needed to be made, so Wetherald decided the most prudent thing to do was to make them now.

“We just thought it would be a good time to get everything straightened up before we started into the season and breaking down all the time,” he said.

When the maintenance vehicles — a road grader and water truck — were vandalized, the oil and fluids were drained from the vehicles — something that wasn’t noticed until the track opened its season last weekend.

By the time it was caught, the transmissions on both vehicles already were shot.

Wetherald said the equipment already is in Columbus and slated for repair, and once that and the other fixes are taken care of, Twin Cities should be able to wave the restart flag.

The reopening probably will happen, Wetherald added, sometime in May.

“We hope to do it in two or three weeks,” Wetherald said of the repair work. “These next couple of weeks are going to be rainy and bad anyway, so we thought this would be a good time to do it.”

6/5/16, 10:52 PM   #8
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Track to re open on the 11th with a super late show. Not sure of the schedule from here out. Check with the track. They say still a lot of work to do but enough is done to re open.

2 members like this post: DirtHawk92, nathans1012
6/5/16, 11:00 PM   #9
jjg30

Great news ill be there

6/6/16, 3:00 AM   #10
treecitytornado

They will resume the schedule that's on the website. Non-Wing 410 Sprints June 25th! Twincitiesracewaypark.net

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Twin Cities Closed until further notice.