IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > wanting to get my kids into racing
11/30/16, 5:34 PM   #1
wanting to get my kids into racing
nwallen78

My children have shown some interest in racing. We have gone to a few races around my area, here in southern Indiana, and they enjoy watching the racing. One of my daughters told me she wanted to race and keeps bugging me about it (which is completely fine with me!) She even asked Santa for a sprint car. Now my daughter just turned 4 years old, and I was just curious if there is a mini sprint series for kids? I have seen the kid kart racing but didn't know if there was a mini sprint series for kids. Any information will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks guys and gals

11/30/16, 5:42 PM   #2
Re: wanting to get my kids into racing
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quarter Midgets or .25 midgets, Its what the majority start in and four or five is about right to get started for some.
Do yourself a favor though, Start it as for fun and for family and budget around that. if they show real promise. Then start sticking the extra $$ in it.

4 members like this post: nathans1012, PIT CART, SteveW, Wizard 05
11/30/16, 6:15 PM   #3
nwallen78

Thanks Charles! I will defiantly do that!
Last edited by nwallen78; 11/30/16 at 6:18 PM.

11/30/16, 6:17 PM   #4
Mattmac05

Most start in Quarter Midgets, that is what I started in personally and you carry the basic things you learn through any type of racing you will do. Plus it can help when it comes time for your kid to get their drivers license. QM is a great way to get started and the family time is great. You will create lifelong friendships with other families. If you wanted to go directly to dirt (there is dirt tracks for QM) you can look into junior sprints, but you have to be a little older than 5 to start and it isn't as family involved. There are quarter midget clubs in Indy, Terre Haute, Kokomo, Greenville (IL), Cincy/Dayton area. There are also indoor races during the winter in Columbus, ohio if you want to go check a race out. And if you want to buy a car look in to a Stanley Chassis.

3 members like this post: DAD, DirtHawk92, tirespinner
12/1/16, 3:50 PM   #5
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

There are atleast three (if not more) local quarter midget tracks in the Indiana area. Terre Haute, Indianapolis, and Kokomo. I say there might be more because I raced quarter midgets in southern California, not here. However, I definitely see it as an affordable way to move forward and spend time together racing as a family. As Matt said, there are many benefits including increased hand eye coordination and driving skills later in life.

Whatever you do, do not skimp on safety. I can get you in contact with someone at DJ Safety - www.djsafety.com and they can help get you everything you need at a decent price.

I hope she has fun. If you're anywhere near the Columbus, Indiana area, I know a guy that knows his way around quarter midgets if you're interested.

Have fun. Stay Safe. Glad to hear more kids want to get into the sport of racing.

12/1/16, 7:50 PM   #6
DAD

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1471385103143011/

https://www.mini-indy.org/

Two places for more info. Usually early spring they have arrive and drive programs, and they usually announce them in IOW

Dad

12/1/16, 8:10 PM   #7
jmeneely

We sell have quaternary midgets for sale tires and everything

12/2/16, 11:38 PM   #8
LEADERS EDGE

I believe Junior Sprints allow young kids as well. May want to look at those as well.

12/3/16, 10:17 AM   #9
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
I believe Junior Sprints allow young kids as well. May want to look at those as well.
http://us24speedway.net/

They race Jr Sprints at Logansport In. Quarter midgets I think allow kids as young as 5 Years old to race. They have had years of experience developing drivers and can boast of the who's who in professional drivers that they have helped develop. Be prepared to change your vacation schedule and vacation destinations.

Dad

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DirtHawk92
12/3/16, 3:21 PM   #10
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

This is a good start

All kidding aside, start em young, looking forward to a rising group of youngsters to take the reigns
Attached Images
Tons-of-money-copy.jpg (127.4 KB, 85 views)

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > wanting to get my kids into racing