IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Weather
10/3/21, 9:00 AM   #1
Weather
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Several times over the years Ive stayed home because I didnt like the forecast. Sometimes it worked and other times they got the race in. Other times we seen heats but no feature. At noon yesterday Lburg feature looked iffy at best. They did a great job getting the race in. To the point with the growth of social media and weather forecasting tools available I wouldnt be opposed to early starts of one or two hours. A advanced posting 5 or 6 hrs early on race day according to how the weather plays out. They have posted cancelations in this time frame, why not early start time. Pros and cons please . Thank you

10/3/21, 10:06 AM   #2
flagboy55

Modern meteorological technology and information services have come a long way in the many years I’ve been attending the race’s. Now everyone is Tom Skilling (legendary Chicago weather man) with a cell phone and a good weather app. Overall I think that’s a good thing. Some flexibility with schedule is great to help beat impending weather. Some race fans commit a day to the event so it’s not much of an inconvenience to move it up some. Of course there’s a limit in my mind how much adjustment can be made on race day. The folks that don’t commit extra time, that maybe are coming right from work or something might have tough decisions to make on if they can get there in enough time to make the trip. I’ve noticed now some tracks advertising a time for hotlaps/qualifying and then saying racing to follow. I think that’s a pretty good way to do it that leaves some wiggle room. Well done at Lawrenceburg last night

2 members like this post: Ricks Pics, tirespinner
10/3/21, 10:15 AM   #3
Re: Weather
yeleyfan76

I don’t think this is a good idea. If you want to start the show early make the announcement at least one full day ahead. We do that out here in Pa primarily in the spring time with cold temps and precip. Otherwise stay with the scheduled time and move the show along. It’s a no win situation to change start times the day of as some will not know, some will miss because they can’t make it and others may say forget it. No matter what the track does there will be someone that’s upset. People are responsible for their own decision to go just like it’s the tracks to call the event. Everyone is watching the same three or four forecasts. As we all know you can get paid a lot of money to forecast weather and still keep ur job when you are incorrect 50% of the time.

7 members like this post: CactusCrew, Charles Nungester, davidm, fish, PIT CART, Russ, Speedmax3
10/3/21, 10:36 AM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

My guess. You'd tick off as many as having the gates shut cancelled of people showing up with half the event over. Not good.

I could see some Oct Racing daytime with shorter days, cooler temps. I always froze at the Kokomo Clash, That race should start at four and be done at eight. Brr.

They did a great job last night. Track was even heavy. Feature pushed off at 810 and done at 840.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 10/3/21 at 10:41 AM.

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
10/3/21, 1:48 PM   #5
Rpracing1

USAC need to run all shows like the last two were run. Thanx Levi.

4 members like this post: PIT CART, racenut69, tirespinner, Will Shunk
10/3/21, 5:07 PM   #6
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
My guess. You'd tick off as many as having the gates shut cancelled of people showing up with half the event over. Not good.

I could see some Oct Racing daytime with shorter days, cooler temps. I always froze at the Kokomo Clash, That race should start at four and be done at eight. Brr.

They did a great job last night. Track was even heavy. Feature pushed off at 810 and done at 840.
I'd be pissed if I got there and the show was half over because they started early.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Eatin Dirt, Indy1808
10/3/21, 7:44 PM   #7
Stevensville Mike

Good thread topic, mc/. I am sure both sides of the fence will post here.

My opinion: It is so easier to cancel than move things up. Not so much for the fans, but for the track crew - track prep, concessions, and gate workers. It would be too rough to move the time up in a short order to make it work.

Good idea, though, sir. Just a tough execution of the plan. Too many variables to bring it home.

5 members like this post: fish, luckybuc97, racenut69, Sandy Lowe, tirespinner
10/3/21, 7:59 PM   #8
Jonr

While it makes logical sense to do what you are suggesting, I am afraid that if you did it you would upset more fans than you would please. I would say stay with your original plans and hope for the best. Even if the age of modern technology, I have driven to a track that called the races on a night that I didn't even think that the race night was in jeopardy. Also, with the trend of more and more marathon sessions, I find myself getting to the track right at race time. I used to plan on getting to the track for hot laps, but as I have gotten older, I find my body just can only take so much time sitting in the stands.

10/4/21, 6:13 AM   #9
Spi-nex

By moving the times up a track also has to have employees to put on the shows. Many of which have family activities and jobs that require them to plan around. Many don't arrive until about hot laps time. Imagine trying to be the cooks in the concessions and getting told to get food ready hours before the scheduled start time while being understaffed...
Last edited by Spi-nex; 10/4/21 at 6:14 AM. Reason: Can't spell...

3 members like this post: erich45, jonboat15, tirespinner
10/4/21, 11:12 AM   #10
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Otherwise stay with the scheduled time and move the show along.
Yes! That should ALWAYS be the goal, regardless of the weather.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

2 members like this post: Jonr, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Weather